New harddrive with read errors [Solved]

Hello

I recently purchased a brand new Seagate Ironwolf 8TB wich I was going to replace my current parity-disk with.

Since this is my first Unraid-server I wasn't aware of the need to preclear the disks before using them so I plan to do this now because all hard drives inside the server are quite old. I therefore want to make sure that they still are good to go. 

The plan was to begin with preclearing the disk that is currently my parity-disk after it has been replaced by the Ironwolf I just purchased. After that I'm going to move the data of a smaller disk to it (using unblanace) and preclear the next disk. And then rince repeat.

While the preclear was runnig on the new disk I was looking at the S.M.A.R.T "stats" for it and I noticed the first value (Read errors) was showing errors.

The Value was 82, Worst was at 64 and the thresholdis at 44. The raw value was at 170868576 but it's been resetting several times during the preclear.

Unfortunately, we experienced a power-outage this morning so the server has been unvoluntarily (spelling?) rebooted before I got the diagnostics zip out of it. (I noticed the errors late last night and thought I would check with you guys in the morning.) This also means that the preclear was interrupted early during zeroing.

What do you guys think of this disk? Is it safe to use as my parity? None of my other disk displays this behaviour. To me, it looks like a bad disk, but I'm really no expert when it comes to S.M.A.R.T reports as I have little to no experince on the subject.

Diagnostics are attached of course. The disk name is ST8000VN004-2M2101_WKD07E2C-20200105-1143.

I would greatly appreciate any inputs on the matter. This will be my only parity so it's very important that to me that it does the job right...

/Sincerely

Robert, Sweden

nas-diagnostics-20200105-1143.zip

Edited by Alorithien
[Solved]
1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Disk looks perfectly healthy, Seagate uses multibit values for some attributes:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/86337-are-my-smart-reports-bad/?do=findComment&comment=800888

Thank you so much for your answer. I take it the "Value" and "Worst" isn't a concern either? :)

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Preclear isn't necessary for your older disks since they have already been "burned in". An extended SMART test and a good SMART report should be good enough. Do any of your disks show SMART warnings on the Dashboard?

Aah, that saves me alot of hours in getting everything up and running again. Thank you. :)

I have no SMART warnings on my dashboard. All I get is green "thumbs up" symbols. 
I have started an extended smart self-test on the 8TB drive. I haven't done the same for the other disks yet. 

I did check an extra time before writing this and only one of my disks actually have a logged smart self-test and it passed the test just fine. :)

----

I looked at the smart-attributes and all my other disks show "value" and worst" at 200. As I've understood the situation, a higher value is better. Shouldn't this be the case with the Seagate as well? Or are they different from the WDs?

Segate does it differently to WD, they report the number of reads without an error the opposite of WD. 

My Unraid segates are:

Current  Worst  Threshold   Raw

1  Raw read error rate     100      064     006           2301087                     ~13000 hours power on

1  Raw read error rate     081      064     006           134297756                 ~6000 hours power on

Both in good health, the stat gets closer to 100 as the drive ages, until you start to get errors and it drops again.

Two other segates in my about to decommision WHS2011 build which have worked a bit harder now have a current of 115 and 117, both with >19000 hours.

Edited by Decto
4 hours ago, Decto said:

Segate does it differently to WD, they report the number of reads without an error the opposite of WD. 

My Unraid segates are:

Current  Worst  Threshold   Raw

1  Raw read error rate     100      064     006           2301087                     ~13000 hours power on

1  Raw read error rate     081      064     006           134297756                 ~6000 hours power on

Both in good health, the stat gets closer to 100 as the drive ages, until you start to get errors and it drops again.

Two other segates in my about to decommision WHS2011 build which have worked a bit harder now have a current of 115 and 117, both with >19000 hours.

Oh, I see. I have never owned a Seagate-disk at an adult age so I had no idea. This is invaluable information to me. Thank you very much. :)

---

Update: The 8TB passed the extended self-test without any trouble. All disks but the 6TB and the 4TB have also passed extended tests now.
The 6TB and the 4TB are still running their tests. I will report back here tomorrow when I know for sure how they went. I will also restart the preclear of the 8TB now and let it run through the disk (and hope I don't get any more power-outages).

Thank you again guys. I really appreciate the help. :)

//Sincerely

Robert, Sweden

edit: Apparantly preclearing can be resumed so I went ahead and pressed that instead. :)

Edited by Alorithien

Update: I have completed all S.M.A.R.T-tests and all but one disk passed.

The one who failed is my 4TB WD Red. I'm attaching the S.M.A.R.T-report to this message.

Is this disk safe to use? Or is it dying? I got it second hand from a friend who apparantly dropped it down the stairs more than once. :P

edit: It was inside one of those Mybook-cases back then.

nas-smart-20200106-1604.zip

Edited by Alorithien

I have added SMART attribute 1 and 200 to my notifications on the WD Reds, I think it was @johnnie.black who recommended it.

Based on those, the fact that it failed extended test, and the fact that it may have been handled badly, I would not use it.

Unraid must be able to reliably read every bit of parity PLUS every bit of ALL other disks in order to reliably rebuild a missing or disabled disk.

3 hours ago, trurl said:

I have added SMART attribute 1 and 200 to my notifications on the WD Reds, I think it was @johnnie.black who recommended it.

Based on those, the fact that it failed extended test, and the fact that it may have been handled badly, I would not use it.

Unraid must be able to reliably read every bit of parity PLUS every bit of ALL other disks in order to reliably rebuild a missing or disabled disk.

Ouch. I'll pull that drive from the array then. Thanks for the heads up thou!

----

Thank you all, guys! Your help has been invaluable! :D I'm gonna go ahead and mark this thread as [Solved] now. :)