Unraid not booting on Dell Precision Tower 7910

GnaXi

Hi!

I'm trying to get Unraid running on a Dell Precision Tower 7910, but currently I can't even get to the boot screen, where I choose to boot it with or without GUI.
It just shows me a blank screen and after about 1-2 minutes, the machine reboots.

I've run the USB Creator from Windows and version is 6.8.1.

I've tested the USB stick in another computer and it boots just fine from there.
I have no idea what the issue could be an I've searched through the forum to see if I could find anyone with this type of issue to no avail.

I have tried putting it into both the USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports.
I've also tried booting it both with and without UEFI.
With UEFI I get the black screen as mentioned and if I try to boot it in legacy mode, I'm being told that the device isn't bootable.

Edited by GnaXi
26 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Did you enable UEFI with the USB creator tool? It's disable by default, also make sure any secure boot options on the Dell are disable.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I did enable UEFI with the USB creator tool and secure boot is disabled (Cannot be enabled when legacy boot is allowed).

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, I had the same problem with my Dell T5810 workstation. I searched the internet for solutions, unfortunately without success.
I tried to localize the problem by systematically ruling out errors. Every other image boots from this USB stick, and it also meets the requirements for Unraid, so it can't be the USB stick.

Finally I checked all possible settings in the Bios and found no error there either.
After a long time of testing I found the solution.

I had to manually link the boot image as a "startup option" in the bios.
Here is a step by step guide

Insert the USB stick into the desired USB port and turn on the computer.
Go to BIOS - General - Boot Sequence
Now select UEFI and then click to "Add Boot Option".
now enter a name - for example "Unraid".
at the point "File Name:" click on the "..." on the right side
If you see more than one drive, please make sure that the UNRAID-STick is selected, then navigate to the directory "\EFI\boot\" and select the "bootx64.efi".
Confirm with "OK" and restart, now the stick should boot properly.

• Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...
On 3/26/2023 at 2:44 AM, JerrY-1985 said:

Hello, I had the same problem with my Dell T5810 workstation. I searched the internet for solutions, unfortunately without success.
I tried to localize the problem by systematically ruling out errors. Every other image boots from this USB stick, and it also meets the requirements for Unraid, so it can't be the USB stick.

Finally I checked all possible settings in the Bios and found no error there either.
After a long time of testing I found the solution.

I had to manually link the boot image as a "startup option" in the bios.
Here is a step by step guide

Insert the USB stick into the desired USB port and turn on the computer.
Go to BIOS - General - Boot Sequence
Now select UEFI and then click to "Add Boot Option".
now enter a name - for example "Unraid".
at the point "File Name:" click on the "..." on the right side
If you see more than one drive, please make sure that the UNRAID-STick is selected, then navigate to the directory "\EFI\boot\" and select the "bootx64.efi".
Confirm with "OK" and restart, now the stick should boot properly.

You are a LIFESAVER!! This resolve the issue I was also having with my Dell 7910!

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a Dell T5810 workstation and use “legacy boot”, because with “UEFI” I have to go back to the bios every time I reboot.
I have deactivated all other boot options for legacy and it works without any problems.

At the beginning I had set up everything via UEFI and tried to reboot several times. Each time I had to go back into the BIOS (without changing anything) to be able to start Unraid.
Then I tried it with legacy and it works.