Cache Issues

Hello all,

Still getting my feet wet with Unraid.  Ran into a problem today  and not sure how to fix it.  I had a 2TB Sata drive and at 500G SSD set up as a Cache pool.  It was only my intention to use the 500G but since I was porting over my old media server I thought adding the 2TB drive would help with getting things up and going faster)  Per one of Space invader One's tips videos I did something with some of my shares (Not data but other system type shares and I can't find out as the shares are no longer there) as luck would have it the 2TB drive died today.  Now I Lost all my docker containers such as Krusader/Plex etc as well as my share information.  as expected when I browse to my shares over the network none of my shares are accessible.  

I'm hoping I'm not screwed and have lost all of my data. How can I recover from this?

TIA!

cache pool.PNG

missing shares.PNG

I probably built it about 45 days ago (used 30 day trial and extra 2 weeks and then it ran for a week maybe before I upgraded with a purchased license) ago and I see 6.8 came out early December so it is very possible I built this on 6.7.  If I did how screwed am I?

Edited by Arcadejunkie

If you have appdata backups (from e.g. CA appdata backup) you can just restore them and re-create the dockers from previous apps.

Though this issue was likely caused by a non redundant pool, redundancy isn't a backup, you always need to have a backup of any important data, a redundant pool can also get corrupt.

8 minutes ago, Arcadejunkie said:

So does that mean I've lost all my data on my drives?

Your array disks and their data should be fine. Your docker problems are because dockers are on cache by default. If you remove cache and start the array the user shares on your array disks should be accessible.

You have possibly the largest number of files in config/shares on flash that I have ever seen. Did you really have 188 user shares? Did you intend to have that many?

Just now, trurl said:

Your array disks and their data should be fine. Your docker problems are because dockers are on cache by default. If you remove cache and start the array the user shares on your array disks should be accessible.

You have possibly the largest number of files in config/shares on flash that I have ever seen. Did you really have 188 user shares? Did you intend to have that many?

no.....something happend when I was moving things around in Krusader and when I moved things to a root dir it share them all out.  That was on my to do list to figure out for today before the drive crash

4 minutes ago, Arcadejunkie said:

LOL this keeps getting better and better.....As I originally stated I'm still getting my feet wet.  I just looked at CA Appdata backup and it says no backups found so 

Have you fixed your cache issue yet? Probably pointless to worry about restoring cache until you get a working cache pool.

Since your user shares didn't seem to be working before then probably CA Backup can't access the path you set for the backup.

My first mistake was thinking that pooling drives and getting more space would increase the xfer speed of my data.  Now that I've realized that I will stick with the single ssd for now.  From what I'm reading I need to:

1. take the cache pool down

2. Reinstall my various dockers

3. re establish my smb shares

4. setup CAbackup

5. keep learning

Am I missing something?

16 minutes ago, Arcadejunkie said:

My first mistake was thinking that pooling drives and getting more space would increase the xfer speed of my data.  Now that I've realized that I will stick with the single ssd for now.  From what I'm reading I need to:

1. take the cache pool down

2. Reinstall my various dockers

3. re establish my smb shares

4. setup CAbackup

5. keep learning

Am I missing something?

I took the cache drive offline but when I try to do anything with dockers it won't work.  No dockers can install and when I go to docker tab it says docker service failed to start and under vms it says libvert service failed to start.

36 minutes ago, Arcadejunkie said:

LOL this keeps getting better and better.....As I originally stated I'm still getting my feet wet.  I just looked at CA Appdata backup and it says no backups found so 

cabackup.PNG

Because the settings in backup aren't there...  Without reading through the thread, did you redo your flash drive?  If there were settings already, they would be listed in that screenshot next to source / destination

3 minutes ago, Squid said:

Because the settings in backup aren't there...  Without reading through the thread, did you redo your flash drive?  If there were settings already, they would be listed in that screenshot next to source / destination

I have not touched the flash drive.  Do I need to do something to it?  Will that result in data loss on the array then as well?

Your "source" is where you want it to go on the restore (or in the context of the backup page, its the appdata share you're backing up).  Without a "source" on that page, presumably the restore section isn't populating any results because as far as it's concerned you've never set up the plugin in the first place.

6 minutes ago, Squid said:

Your "source" is where you want it to go on the restore (or in the context of the backup page, its the appdata share you're backing up).  Without a "source" on that page, presumably the restore section isn't populating any results because as far as it's concerned you've never set up the plugin in the first place.

Ok I think I follow you but what should I set the source up to then?  I have

Disk1

Disk2

Disk3

Disks

as options.  I assume before it was set to Cache drive?  

Edited by Arcadejunkie

Under Disk 1 I already have an appdata folder however if I select that it says all data will be overwritten.  I assume this is from before. Is there a way to pull that data?  Or do I just choose to put it there and overwrite things?  Sorry.....trying to prevent the least amount of data loss as possible and trying to understand how this OS works at the same time.

Edited by Arcadejunkie