Windows 10 cannot access \\Tower

Hello everybody,

I have a problem with accessing my unRAID Tower.

When I type in windows explorer: \\RIK-TOWER (that is the SMB network name), and I get this error:

Clipboard08.jpg.999cf97233156c5ec96d60987c3a4659.jpg

I have already searched for two day's on Google to resolve this.

My pc is with the Dutch language. In English is the name of the error: "The stub received bad data".

What I have already did is:

I really don't know how to get access to the tower with this client...

I hope you can help me out...

Kind Regards,

LoudRex

EDIT: By entering "set-smbserverconfiguration –enablesmb1protocol $true" I got also an error:

Clipboard09.jpg.2c52bf746977d3bff53772e36055e517.jpg

Edited by rikdegraaff

Basically, MS has been tightening security on SMB for several years now.  One of the things which they did was to disable SMBv1.  This broke network discovery which is how \\RIK-TOWER is resolved to an IP address.  (No, SMB does not use DNS or your router's tables.)  You can read about many of these issues in this thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/

The first page is mostly housekeeping issues and good practices for SMB and Unraid.  The WIN10 problems discussion starts on the second page and continues throughout the reminder of the thread.  The most recent problems and solutions are nearer at the end. (So some folks, after reading the first page and part of the second page, will jump to the end and work backwards.) 

Does it work by clicking on ASUS-FRITS, OPENELEC,  under 'Netwerk'?

You have to understand that Win10 is not simple to troubleshoot.  First, we have Win10 home, Win10 pro, Win10 Enterprise, etc.   Then you have versions 1703, 1709, 1803, 1809, 1903 and 1909.  All of these have changes in them that make them behave differently.  (Plus, if you have a company-issued Win10 computer, the IT department can further modify it by group policies.)

Have you followed the advice that I gave in this post? 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/87931-windows-10-cannot-access-tower/?tab=comments#comment-817029

Even though, it might appear someone's problem (and solution) is not what you are experiencing, his solution might solve yours.

Edited by Frank1940

Tried both.

Restarted everything.

Nothing works... Maybe need to reinstall windows?

Tried an other pc with windows 8 installed, cannot access unRAID either...

Also the stub error.

Edit: also win 7 PC can't access the unRAID server... 

Still reading and trying (possible) solutions as described at: 

Edited by rikdegraaff
See edit

you need to create a new user, root cannot do smb share or any other shares but is limited to console and webgui.

Windows 10 doesn't like public shares either, so set the shares to private and connect to them using the username and password you chose for your new user in unraid.

Edited by Magnust
grammar

I've remembered that after installing GTA V and Visual Studio 2008 that the access to the tower stopped.

So I removed GTA V and Visual Studio xx and now I can get in with my Windows 10 PC.

Although I still cannot get in with my Windows 7 PC and Laptops...

So going to check what and if Visual Studio 2008 is installed on those pc's.
Until then, solutions and/or topics with possible solutions are very very welcome.

Greetings!

EDIT: Frankly the installation (iso) of that game is also corrupted... 😯

And so I cannot replicate the install now, but here (link) they say it is VS 2008.

Edited by rikdegraaff
  • 2 weeks later...

People, it is solved.

I've unpublished all the user shares.

Then I enabled all the disk shares, and set them to Private at SMB.

Now with an new user/pass I can get into the disk shares.

After that, I've disabled the disk shares, and re-enabled some user shares and set them to Export Yes and Security to Private.
I've set the SMB new user to Read/Write, and that worked!

So now I can re-access my tower.

Thanks all for the massive support!! 😁