Trouble with motherboard USB 3.0 ports

mwf369

I have UnRAID running on a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard which has onboard USB 2.0 and 3.0 controllers.  If I connect an external USB 3.0 hard drive to one of the USB 2.0 ports, the system recognizes it almost immediately and it is available to assign to a VM.  If I connect the same drive to a USB 3.0 port, it is never recognized and I cannot use it.

I have the VM set to use the 3.0 (qemu XHCI) USB controller. 

I can see the controller is recognized by the system when I run "lspci | grep USB", but the external drive doesn't show up in the output of the lsusb command.

Am I missing something? How can I get this to work?

Edited by mwf369
Corrected typo on MB model; UD3 not UD2

Great find! Thank you!

Follow up question, if you don't mind: Step 2 says to edit /etc/default/grub and add GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="iommu=soft".  From what I can tell, UnRAID doesn't use grub. What is the equivalent I should be looking for? Where should this edit be made?

On 2/3/2020 at 2:46 PM, Frank1940 said:

17 minutes ago, mwf369 said:

Step 2 says to edit /etc/default/grub and add GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="iommu=soft".  From what I can tell, UnRAID doesn't use grub. What is the equivalent I should be looking for? Where should this edit be made?

@limetech, could you help @mwf369 with this?

• Like 1