unRAID Server Release 4.6 "Final" Available + 5.0-beta News

limetech

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless I'm being really dumb, when I click Download it reloads the page with the same info and this message at the top:

http://delimits.net/unraid.jpg

No.. I misread what you were trying to download... I thought you were trying to download the AiO version, not the non-AiO version...

Yes, the non-AiO version had a "checked out" status for some reason in the download admin tool - I was able to clear this out.  I think this was a bug in the download admin tool.  Anyway, I removed the non-AiO version.  I'm updating all the releases to AiO versions and updating the website documentation as well.

The only difference between AiO and non-AiO is the inclusion of "syslinux.exe" and "make_bootable.bat".  Everything else is exactly the same.

Why am I eliminating non-AiO versions?  Manually running 'syslinux.exe' is perilous - so far I've had no reports of someone accidentally clobbering the MBR on their windows boot drive, but it was possible.  Also, for some mysterious reason, 'syslinux' has no option to print out it's version number.  There are versions of syslinux out there that can not boot the size image unRaid now has and it's very difficult to figure out that someone's using an old version of syslinux (ie, very frustrating from a support point of view). So by bundling syslinux with the release it eliminates all these problems and makes easier to prepare the flash.

Gah, every time Limetech posts in the Announcements thread I get all excited   ;D    Can't wait for 5 beta 3!!

If you click 'notify' at the board level, you should only get notifications of new Topics, not new replies to existing topics.  Is it not working like this for you?

I just like checking the forums twice a day  ;)  I should learn to be patient! 

i managed to ween myself down to:

once in the morning (checking via my phone whilst still in bed)

once after breakfast (usual whilst eating breakfast, again using my phone)

during my lunch at work

sometime around 3pm when i feel hungry (and distracted!)

at least 3 times in the evening (including once just before going to sleep)

think ill give the topic notification thing a go... although i dont think this will stop me from still performing my sad routine  ;D

Unless I'm being really dumb, when I click Download it reloads the page with the same info and this message at the top:

http://delimits.net/unraid.jpg

No.. I misread what you were trying to download... I thought you were trying to download the AiO version, not the non-AiO version...

Yes, the non-AiO version had a "checked out" status for some reason in the download admin tool ...

Thank you for sorting this quickly.  I should have have tried the AIO and extracted the files I needed :) As it happens I'm needing to wait for a new motherboard (right angled SATA ports interfering with drive caddy  >:()

This release needs its own forum under the 4.x category, especially when it receives the last stable update as shown in the roadmap.  Or perhaps we need a "Current Stable Version" forum under General.  Up to you mods, but for now it's difficult to find buried under a generic forum like "Announcements".

This release needs its own forum under the 4.x category, especially when it receives the last stable update as shown in the roadmap.  Or perhaps we need a "Current Stable Version" forum under General.  Up to you mods, but for now it's difficult to find buried under a generic forum like "Announcements".

All support threads for whatever the current stable version of unRAID is (4.6 at the moment) should go in the General Support forum.

All the 4.X forums (4.5 and older) are meant to be archives, not for active discussion.

This new system of using 'General Support' (akin to what you called 'Current Stable Version') instead of unRAID Version X.X means that LimeTech will no longer have to create a new forum every time a new version of unRAID is released.  Also note the instructions stickied at the top of the General Support forum that instructs users to always include both their unRAID Version number and a syslog when asking for help.

All the 4.X forums (4.5 and older) are meant to be archives, not for active discussion.

I realized that when I saw the "[No new topics]" next to the titles.

This new system of using 'General Support' (akin to what you called 'Current Stable Version') instead of unRAID Version X.X means that LimeTech will no longer have to create a new forum every time a new version of unRAID is released.  Also note the instructions stickied at the top of the General Support forum that instructs users to always include both their unRAID Version number and a syslog when asking for help.

So the intent is to keep all support threads for the current version under 'General Support', then move those comments to an archive when a new stable release is put out there?  Given the fact that there are so many betas in relation to a stable release, where will all the beta threads go?  What will happen when 5.0 stable is released, but there is still activity regarding 4.6, a scenario that will likely occur with every major release since most users don't update immediately to the next version?  If 4.6 is moved from "General Support" to 4.6 Archive to make room for 5.0 to go under "General Support", would that automatically lock the thread for "[No new topics]"?  I just think "General Support" is not very descriptive for someone looking for information about 4.6 rc3, for example.  Especially when all the other previous versions are so well labeled.  "General Support" sounds more wide open, and not version specific.

I realized that when I saw the "[No new topics]" next to the titles.

So the intent is to keep all support threads for the current version under 'General Support', then move those comments to an archive when a new stable release is put out there?  Given the fact that there are so many betas in relation to a stable release, where will all the beta threads go?  What will happen when 5.0 stable is released, but there is still activity regarding 4.6, a scenario that will likely occur with every major release since most users don't update immediately to the next version?  If 4.6 is moved from "General Support" to 4.6 Archive to make room for 5.0 to go under "General Support", would that automatically lock the thread for "[No new topics]"?  I just think "General Support" is not very descriptive for someone looking for information about 4.6 rc3, for example.  Especially when all the other previous versions are so well labeled.  "General Support" sounds more wide open, and not version specific.

The current stable release support board is "General Support".  The development, a.k.a., beta, board is currently called "Version 5 Development".  I guess "General Support" should be named "Version 4.X Support", I'm intending to rename it to that when version 5.0 gets out of beta.

Here's what I'm trying to do.  I don't want to support any version other than the latest in a series.  That is, I really don't want to support version 4.5.6 anymore - I'd rather you update to 4.6, see if issue still exists, then post if so.  I don't have resources to support earlier versions and it's unfair to the resident experts here to do so as well.  The reason I named it "General" is there are plenty of questions/comments that are not version-specific, like, "how do I use split level", etc.  So it's going to be imperfect no matter what.

I should add... issues related to a specific release can still be posted in the Announcement board for that release.  Usually what happens is withing the first few days of a release, there's a flurry of posts in the announcement topic for the release.  Eventually this dies down & when that happens I can lock the thread and redirect further posts to General... anyway, like I said, imperfect.

The current stable release support board is "General Support".  The development, a.k.a., beta, board is currently called "Version 5 Development".  I guess "General Support" should be named "Version 4.X Support", I'm intending to rename it to that when version 5.0 gets out of beta.

So this is just temporary until you migrate to the next major revision, which is 5.0.

Here's what I'm trying to do.  I don't want to support any version other than the latest in a series.  That is, I really don't want to support version 4.5.6 anymore - I'd rather you update to 4.6, see if issue still exists, then post if so.  I don't have resources to support earlier versions and it's unfair to the resident experts here to do so as well.  The reason I named it "General" is there are plenty of questions/comments that are not version-specific, like, "how do I use split level", etc.  So it's going to be imperfect no matter what.

I fully understand this.  I don't support versions of my applications that are older than the current, because my expectation is that the users should upgrade prior to posting issues that may have already been fixed in a later release (dog chasing its tail).  That being said, asking users to migrate directly from 4.6 to 5.0 is different than jumping from 4.5.5 to 4.5.6.  I suspect you will have a longer lag in upgrading across the user base than usual since it's so new and represents a new series.  Perhaps you should open a 5.x section above the 4.x section, and move the 5.0 beta threads into that.  Keep the "General Support" open for the more generic "how does unRAID compare to blah" questions, and keep a running open thread in the respective current versions in the 5.x and 4.x sections.  You could still keep the Roadmap and other development threads inside the 5.x section.  I would also suggest moving the 5.x section above the 4.x when it becomes the latest stable version, but I'm guessing that's already in your plans as well.

... anyway, like I said, imperfect.

It's all a matter of what makes sense for organization.  What makes sense to me may not make sense to most, so these are just suggestions I have based on my experience trying to find the active version threads.  With so much development going into both 4.6 AND 5.0, there's a lot more activity than normal anyway, and once everyone gets into 5.0, the dust should settle a lot quicker.

The current stable release support board is "General Support".  The development, a.k.a., beta, board is currently called "Version 5 Development".  I guess "General Support" should be named "Version 4.X Support", I'm intending to rename it to that when version 5.0 gets out of beta.

So this is just temporary until you migrate to the next major revision, which is 5.0.

Here's what I'm trying to do.  I don't want to support any version other than the latest in a series.  That is, I really don't want to support version 4.5.6 anymore - I'd rather you update to 4.6, see if issue still exists, then post if so.  I don't have resources to support earlier versions and it's unfair to the resident experts here to do so as well.  The reason I named it "General" is there are plenty of questions/comments that are not version-specific, like, "how do I use split level", etc.  So it's going to be imperfect no matter what.

I fully understand this.  I don't support versions of my applications that are older than the current, because my expectation is that the users should upgrade prior to posting issues that may have already been fixed in a later release (dog chasing its tail).  That being said, asking users to migrate directly from 4.6 to 5.0 is different than jumping from 4.5.5 to 4.5.6.  I suspect you will have a longer lag in upgrading across the user base than usual since it's so new and represents a new series.  Perhaps you should open a 5.x section above the 4.x section, and move the 5.0 beta threads into that.  Keep the "General Support" open for the more generic "how does unRAID compare to blah" questions, and keep a running open thread in the respective current versions in the 5.x and 4.x sections.  You could still keep the Roadmap and other development threads inside the 5.x section.  I would also suggest moving the 5.x section above the 4.x when it becomes the latest stable version, but I'm guessing that's already in your plans as well.

... anyway, like I said, imperfect.

It's all a matter of what makes sense for organization.  What makes sense to me may not make sense to most, so these are just suggestions I have based on my experience trying to find the active version threads.  With so much development going into both 4.6 AND 5.0, there's a lot more activity than normal anyway, and once everyone gets into 5.0, the dust should settle a lot quicker.

Yes I'm thinking along the same lines.  Thanks for your patience.

• 2 weeks later...

hi all, i'm do the same and i do it at first, too

i have version 4.5.1 running and is it right that i must copy these 3 files , too?

i have it done and my server don't start.  i have wait 5 or 10 minutes and my server don't start. than i have cancel it and copy the original files back and start the server again. with the old (original) files it works perfect!!

what do i wrong? please help

thx mac

I'm a new user to unRAID and this will be my first time upgrading. My current version is 4.5.6. Based on the instructions provided, I believe I need to only copy over the following files:

bzimage

bzroot

memtest

Is this correct?

The upgrade instructions are confusing as there is a section titled:

If you are currently running unRAID Server 3.0-beta1 or higher, please follow these steps to upgrade:
It doesn't seem like I should follow the steps in that section.

Yes just the 3 files, bzimage, bzroot and memtest.

There is also a section that says,

If you are currently running unRAID Server 4.2-beta1 or higher (including 4.2.x 'final'), please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:

bzimage

bzroot

You would have stopped there and not continued further.  Copying memtest is not needed to upgrade, however a new version was added.  So if you want the new version of memtest, update that as well.