Parity check errors

rykr

The syslog seems to have quite a lot of exceptions and lines like failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED related to an HGST drive I have.  I'm checking that now since this could be my problem.  From my reading this could be (a) a bad sata cable, (b) a sata cable not plugged in snugly, (c) a bad power supply, or (d) a bad drive.   Smart report says drive is not bad.   From my reading online this is unlikely to damage the drive but can damage the filesystem (which would cause havoc with the parity check)

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, rykr said:

From my reading online this is unlikely to damage the drive but can damage the filesystem (which would cause havoc with the parity check)

Parity doesn't know or care about filesystem. But it could corrupt your data.

24 minutes ago, rykr said:

I had likely erroneously set the parity check to daily (not really realizing it was such a lengthy process)

Most of us only check parity monthly. It is just a check. Parity is maintained all the time whether you check it or not.

25 minutes ago, rykr said:

Anyway to stop it

Did you figure out how to stop it? There should be a button in Main - Array Operations for that.

12 minutes ago, rykr said:

From my reading this could be (a) a bad sata cable, (b) a sata cable not plugged in snugly, (c) a bad power supply, or (d) a bad drive.

SMART for all disks looks fine. Check all connections, power and SATA, both ends, including any power splitters.

changed schedule to monthly.  sounds good.

Yes, managed to cancel parity check.  

It's an old i7 860 chip with 5 internal SATA drives and 2 external USB drives.   620 watt Seasonic PS so capacity *should* be ok . I'll power it down in a minute and check all sata connectors and replace the one going to that one drive just to see if it's the cable.