[GUIDE] Hive OS VM in 10 minutes

zeus83

Hi guys, I've recently setup a Hive OS VM and ecountered a couple of issues during this. So I've decided to prepare a quick start guide. This guide won't explain you what Hive OS is and used for, neither it will show how to setup your Hive OS account and crypto wallets. There is a lot of guides on this on the web.

[Prerequisite]

The only prerequisite is you have to setup your Hive OS account and properly configure at least one farm and worker. You can go through the guide here or just google any appropriate guide you like.

[Instructions]

1. Download the latest Hive OS GPU image here . You should then unpack it and put into your isos share temporarily. For me it was a 7Gb file named [email protected] .
  2. Normally this image file is supposed to be written to the usb stick, but we instead just use it as our VM disk. You need to copy the image to your VM share.
  3. cd /mnt/disks/vm/
    mkdir hiveos
    cp /mnt/user/isos/[email protected] hiveos/vdisk1.img

4. Now let's create a VM itself which will use our Hive OS disk image. Use Ubuntu template because Hive OS is ubuntu based distro.
  5. There are however a couple of issues we must to address. First I suggest to leave OVMF bios as default. If the VM won't boot then try the same steps with SeaBIOS. I wasn't able to boot some cards with default OVMF bios. Second it seems that Hive OS doesn't contain the Virtio drivers normally found in Ubuntu and most Linux distros. I could overcome this with setting Primary vdisk bus to SATA . As for CPU and memory don't assign much resources to it. 
  6. hiveos-vm.thumb.PNG.cabdd3be4c98f825ed21980fa35d1f83.PNG
  7. You have to pass your dedicated GPU as well because Hive OS isn't much useful without it. 
  8. hiveos-vm2.PNG.7221a1b96084b1c1bac3b2d2cf7f567a.PNG
  9. Switch to XML view to change the network adapter, because as I told before there are no Virtio drivers preinstalled in Hive OS. I chose rtl8139 and it worked fine for me. You must remember that whenever you edit anything using the form view the XML part would reset and you'll have to add that part once again.
  10. hiveos-vm3.PNG.8fc44cd0a60943c1ada0e46ef5f58e9c.PNG
  11. Now we are ready to start our VM. Once VM is started properly you need to figure out it's assigned IP. I use my router admin page for that.
  12. Then we need connect to our VM and finish the worker configuration. Since we passed through GPU and didn't configure the VNC we'll use Hive OS integrated shellinabox. Open https://YOUR_IP:4200/ in a browser. Default login is user password 1 . If everything is ok you'll see a welcoming screen like this.
  13. hiveos-vm4.PNG.fe9cc2d23b3b3d37d77533d37125e05f.PNG
  14. Your GPU must be present and identified correctly.
  15. It's now time to finish our Hive OS worker setup. Type firstrun and follow the instructions to enter your worker RIG_ID and RIG_PASSWORD .
  16. hiveos-vm5.PNG.89c0902d80c46beb8336dbd5ddc8d6c3.PNG
  17. You'd better reboot your VM after configuration finished.
  18. After completion you might check your Hive dashboard to see that the worker is online and assign a flight sheet to it.
  19. hiveos-vm6.thumb.PNG.7e961a3cd4c00c2978918f6f158cad94.PNG

[FAQ]

todo

Edited by zeus83
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • 9 months later...
On 3/27/2020 at 4:31 AM, zeus83 said:

Hi guys, I've recently setup a Hive OS VM and ecountered a couple of issues during this. So I've decided to prepare a quick start guide. This guide won't explain you what Hive OS is and used for, neither it will show how to setup your Hive OS account and crypto wallets. There is a lot of guides on this on the web.

[Prerequisite]

The only prerequisite is you have to setup your Hive OS account and properly configure at least one farm and worker. You can go through the guide here or just google any appropriate guide you like.

[Instructions]

1. Download the latest Hive OS GPU image here . You should then unpack it and put into your isos share temporarily. For me it was a 7Gb file named [email protected] .
  2. Normally this image file is supposed to be written to the usb stick, but we instead just use it as our VM disk. You need to copy the image to your VM share.
    cd /mnt/disks/vm/
    mkdir hiveos

4. Now let's create a VM itself which will use our Hive OS disk image. Use Ubuntu template because Hive OS is ubuntu based distro.
  5. There are however a couple of issues we must to address. First change the bios to SeaBIOS. I wasn't able to boot the system with default OVMF bios. Second it seems that Hive OS doesn't contain the Virtio drivers normally found in Ubuntu and most Linux distros. I could overcome this with setting Primary vdisk bus to SATA . As for CPU and memory don't assign much resources to it. 
  7. You have to pass your dedicated GPU as well because Hive OS isn't much useful without it. 
  9. Switch to XML view to change the network adapter, because as I told before there are no Virtio drivers preinstalled in Hive OS. I chose rtl8139 and it worked fine for me. You must remember that whenever you edit anything using the form view the XML part would reset and you'll have to add that part once again.
  11. Now we are ready to start our VM. Once VM is started properly you need to figure out it's assigned IP. I use my router admin page for that.
  12. Then we need connect to our VM and finish the worker configuration. Since we passed through GPU and didn't configure the VNC we'll use Hive OS integrated shellinabox. Open https://YOUR_IP:4200/ in a browser. Default login is user password 1 . If everything is ok you'll see a welcoming screen like this.
  15. It's now time to finish our Hive OS worker setup. Type firstrun and follow the instructions to enter your worker RIG_ID and RIG_PASSWORD .
  18. After completion you might check your Hive dashboard to see that the worker is online and assign a flight sheet to it.

[FAQ]

todo

To be able to see Step 9 it required me to start the VM then shutdown. I could then see the XML page. Thanks for the help. It works great.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello and thanks for posting the guide. 
I managed to get it working with a default OVMF bios just fine. I am running a pair of GTX 1060's on economic settings and it runs clean.

hiveOS is a nice convenient tool for managing miners. I got around 1-2% more hash on windows, but managing mining windows VM on Unraid is crappy.

I am having an issue, the GPU is no longer seen by the VM on rebooting the VM, unfortunately I can only position it on Slot 1 on my system.

I am getting this error in hiveos on reboot:

3s - nvtool error (123)

999;Unknown Error;00000000:00:00.0;;;0;0;0;0.0;0.0;0.0;0;Unknown;999;

GPU Slot 1: Nvidia RT 3070 Gigabyte Vision OC

GPU Slot 2: AMD FirePro 2270
Workstation: HP Z440

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been trying to get this working, but there is some issue with how my GPU is passed through. I have tried this with both a 3090 and 1660 Super, and both end up with the GPU only kind of being recognized (or maybe not being recognized at all)
image.png.1ed0d11dc5f7fc92a57ccc5ff1399760.png
No GPU is listed when I first sign in via ShellInABox, either. Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2020 at 7:31 AM, zeus83 said:

[Prerequisite]

[Instructions]

cd /mnt/disks/vm/
    mkdir hiveos

5. There are however a couple of issues we must to address. First change the bios to SeaBIOS. I wasn't able to boot the system with default OVMF bios. Second it seems that Hive OS doesn't contain the Virtio drivers normally found in Ubuntu and most Linux distros. I could overcome this with setting Primary vdisk bus to SATA . As for CPU and memory don't assign much resources to it. 

[FAQ]

How do I use ubuntus template??

On 4/28/2021 at 9:44 AM, tcwatson said:

I have been trying to get this working, but there is some issue with how my GPU is passed through. I have tried this with both a 3090 and 1660 Super, and both end up with the GPU only kind of being recognized (or maybe not being recognized at all)
image.png.1ed0d11dc5f7fc92a57ccc5ff1399760.png
No GPU is listed when I first sign in via ShellInABox, either. Any ideas?

Hi, I've prepared the instruction in  a way that you don't have to see this QXL paravirtual graphic card.

If you still see it in the VM then you do something wrong.

If you share your VM xml I can be more specific.

Edited by zeus83
  • 3 weeks later...

Pl

On 3/27/2020 at 7:31 AM, zeus83 said:

[Prerequisite]

[Instructions]

cd /mnt/disks/vm/
    mkdir hiveos

5. There are however a couple of issues we must to address. First I suggest to leave OVMF bios as default. If the VM won't boot then try the same steps with SeaBIOS. I wasn't able to boot some cards with default OVMF bios. Second it seems that Hive OS doesn't contain the Virtio drivers normally found in Ubuntu and most Linux distros. I could overcome this with setting Primary vdisk bus to SATA . As for CPU and memory don't assign much resources to it. 

[FAQ]

todo

Would you please give more details avbout how to create a VM with hive? What software did you use? Virtualbox? Iḿ trying to create a HIVEOS VM using virtualbox on ubuntu, but i'm having issues converting .img.xz to .vdi.

On 6/17/2021 at 9:00 PM, RB-BR said:

Pl

Would you please give more details avbout how to create a VM with hive? What software did you use? Virtualbox? Iḿ trying to create a HIVEOS VM using virtualbox on ubuntu, but i'm having issues converting .img.xz to .vdi.

I've seen a few people asking this question and i thought i'd take a second to explain the reason no one is answering your question.

If you look at the forum name you'll see this is an unraid forum and this question shows that you don't know what that is.

Unraid is an OS for home lab / servers / repurposed desktops to offer File server / Docker / VM's

I believe VM's are driven by KVM but i'm no expert and as mentioned above VirtIO drivers can be used at times

You could run ubuntu and Hive OS as separate VM's on Unraid (and still have a file server and docker running in the background) but i don't think you'll find any help getting virtualbox going on this forum.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Got it working as well! Thanks so much for the guide! I quickly set it up with ETH, and I'm getting 27mh/s, which I don't really know what that means. This is my first attempt to mining and using the idle time of the server to make something :). 

I have an RTX 2060 working on it. Also, about 8 core and 16gb ram that are unused when not using my gaming VM.

What would you mine with this setup? 

On 10/12/2021 at 2:14 PM, cookiemonsters said:

Got it working as well! Thanks so much for the guide! I quickly set it up with ETH, and I'm getting 27mh/s, which I don't really know what that means. This is my first attempt to mining and using the idle time of the server to make something :). 

I have an RTX 2060 working on it. Also, about 8 core and 16gb ram that are unused when not using my gaming VM.

What would you mine with this setup? 

ETH is top dog at the moment so all good there. If your on a good pool then the only thing left to do is see how far you can over clock it before you get a little red number next to it or have the vm crash

Try and limit the power, boost the ram and drop the core.

(YouTube 2060 OC on HiveOS and see if you can find one with the same memory type... even then the settings will be different)

tip... Your looking for slow core and fast ram with low power (maybe 950-1080 core    2000-2500 mem and power as low as it'll go (i think 70w)

I don't have a 2060 but my 1660ti gets 31mh/s and my 2070 gets 44mh/s, the internet says you should get 33mh/s but you'll need to dial it in and see what your silicon will do.

It's not difficult but it takes a while (it might run for a few hours and then crash if you are a little to high)

Re CPU... Unless you have a very very current gen CPU don't mine with CPU or you'll spend more on power than you make.

(5800x is ok but 1800x will lose you money) 

(my 5900x makes like £0.50 a day so it hardly worth worrying about compared to the 10 cards in the other room)

Edited by mdrodge
On 9/13/2021 at 3:30 AM, RealActorRob said:

Got it running. Notes and a YouTube video to follow.

Using XMrig CPU only just to get it going.

First note, 3GB of RAM is enough. Have 300+mb left over. I suppose this might not be enough for GPU mining, but it's fine for CPU XMR mining. 

For GPU mining 1500mb is enough but CPU mining requires the DAG to be held in ram

I'd check to see that you are not just wasting money since CPU mining is not very profitable (today my 5900x is making £0 profit, a few days ago it was £0.50p a day)

If you're not mining with at least 1 GPU it is pointless.

(the NiceHash windows client can be configured to stop mining when profit drops below cost witch is the only way I'd ever consider CPU mining)

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the guide. It has worked wonderfully for me. Too good actually. I am getting ready to move the GPUs I had in teh unraid server to a dedicated mining rig.

Which brings me to a question. Is there an easy way to move the HiveOS image from the VM to an SSD so I can use on another machine? 

22 hours ago, Bofra said:

Which brings me to a question. Is there an easy way to move the HiveOS image from the VM to an SSD so I can use on another machine? 

Yes just drag the image to another system and use etcher to flash it to a usb stick or if you have a sata to usb adapter you could flash it to a SSD as if it was a usb stick then boot that in the new system.

Optionally::: Once your running on the new system you could log in and use expand command to expand the image to take up the full SSD.

NOTE:: if you already did that before the move then you'd either need a big enough ssd/usb to accommodate the larger image or steps that I don't know to srink it.

(((( just my 2 cents but ::::   Though if you are building rigs your in club miner and your soon be thinking about more rigs..... this is already a rig.

Build more rigs and let your unraid be part of your farm. (Unless it effects your UNRAIDING i guess)

For me it's nice that my handbrake box will also be free to run and own in about a year.

It is rig number 3 (4 if you count chia)

And I'm happy to have a couple of cards in it.

I tried to get every computer i can contributing in some way if possible because money is money at the end of the day ))))))

Edited by mdrodge

Thank you zeus83 for this.  It was very helpful.  The 2 VMs created using this guide are working very well these past 2 weeks.  However,

I would love to be able to pass both GPUs to the same VM to only have one rig in hive.  I currently have 2 VMs, created the same way and pointing to 2 different hive images.

I add one GPU and the other resources as the guide says and am fine.  I can run both VMs which use different GPUs at the same time with no issues (other than have 2 rigs in hive). 

When I add both GPU devices, one rtx 3060ti and an rtx 3090 (passing their audio counterparts as well) the rig never comes online.  I don't see anything in the VM instance log.

Is there something that I am missing preventing me from passing both GPUs to the same VM? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 1:18 PM, mdrodge said:

If you're not mining with at least 1 GPU it is pointless.

I take back what i said about CPU mining (well not quite) RandomX wouldn't be very profitable but running cpuminer-opt-gr v.1.2.4 to mine Raptoreum is grate.

Though if you set that up remember the tune-up time

For me I wanted it to use all apart from 1 thread and just have docker tasks just run a bit slower but when its "idle" its making full hash (so never idle)

When setting that up I disable docker until the tune-up is complete (3 hours)

I can now justify owning 2 more Unraid rigs that just run Handbrake and have HiveOS VM's (one with GPU's and one without at the moment)