wanted to try unraid

On 4/8/2020 at 9:36 AM, JapanFreak said:

if i add later another 10 tb hdd would i need to also add another ssd? or 2 ssds its ok for cache pool? 

I don't think this question was ever answered. 

You do not need to add additional SSDs to the cache pool just because you add another 10TB data drive.  The optimal cache pool size is dependent on how you intend to utilize the cache pool.

If it is exclusively a host for docker containers and VM files, your 120GB should be plenty even if you add several more 10+TB data drives.

Your cache pool only needs to grow (in size and/or number of SSDs) if you are actually using it to cache data writes to the array (based on user share settings) and it turns out your are caching a large amount of writes that cannot be moved to the array by the Mover before you need to write more data to the array that ends up being cached first.  If the sum of all of this data is larger than your cache pool, it may need to be expanded.

The upcoming 6.9 release of unRAID is also slated to support multiple cache pools so instead of all unRAID functions using a single cache pool, you will be able to assign different cache pools for different uses.

You currently have drive failure protection for array drives through the parity disk and SSD failure protection in the cache pool because of RAID 1 mirroring.

Some choose to add a second parity disk if they have a lot of data drives and are concerned about more than one failing simultaneously.  For most, they start considering a second parity drive once they have 8 or more data drives in the array.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, JapanFreak said:

and the party works now? i mean if one of my drive fails can i recover the data?

Since you only have one data drive currently, parity is basically a bit for bit copy of the one data drive.  If it fails, you can replace the data drive and it will be rebuilt from the parity drive. 

As you start adding more data drives, parity becomes a calculation of the bits on ALL the data drives.  In order to rebuild a failed disk in that scenario, parity and all remaining data drives will be read to figure out what is missing and rebuild that information onto a replacement drive.

2 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Since you only have one data drive currently, parity is basically a bit for bit copy of the one data drive.  If it fails, you can replace the data drive and it will be rebuilt from the parity drive. 

As you start adding more data drives, parity becomes a calculation of the bits on ALL the data drives.  In order to rebuild a failed disk in that scenario, parity and all remaining data drives will be read to figure out what is missing and rebuild that information onto a replacement drive.

thanks its finally clear to me now 

thanks to all who replayed and for having patience with a newbie