My First unRAID Build

SK360

I am in the middle of my first unRAID build, looking forward to learning more about the unRAID operating system/configuration on the forums, have already solved a few small issues with help from past posts!

The only thing I purchased so far was the case, the rest was hardware I had laying around home/the office.  I need to purchase some 2TB hard drives shortly (Price went up on newegg on the EARS drives in the past week, going to wait until after the holidays to see what happens).

So far this is my build

Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced

Intel DG965RY Motherboard

Intel Pentium D 820 2.80GHz

Don't remember where the power supply came from or what brand it is, used it in my last gaming build and it was fine.  Will replace with a Corsair 550W eventually.

2x1GB PC-4200 DDR2

Memorex 1GB thumb drive

Right now I have a Seagate 80GB 7200.10 and a Toshiba 120GB Laptop hard drive in the system as a temporary storage/test solution, the 120 as Parity and 80 as Data.  Once I buy some 2TB drives I will swap these 2 out.

I love this case, def the best I have ever owned and for $79 shipped from Amazon, Can't complain about the price either.

Here are some pics, wiring is not final as I plan on replacing the Power supply as well as the hard drives in the next few months.

P1060297.jpg

P1060299.jpg

This server will serve as storage for MKV and Bluray ISO's to be streamed to a yet to be purchased network media device, thinking of a popcorn hour A-210 or C-200 as well as to store personal pictures and videos from my GoPro HD Hero video camera.

That indeed does look really nice. Other than tucking a few of the little wires around it looks really clean and simple. I like how your drives load from the side opposed to the front.

Thanks!  The drive configuration is exactly why I went with the 690 over the oh so popular 590.

I will be sure to post up in pimp my rig once I finish it.

My only dislike with the whole thing is I lost the metal I/O shield for the rear of the case for this motherboard.  Oh well, not like I will be plugging things in/out all of the time.

Nice looking build!  FYI, not sure if you knew about the jumpers required on the EARS drives or not as they're not included with the drives:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=8474.msg81961#msg81961

Yeah I have been reading up on them, thanks for the info tho.

Scouring work for some spare jumpers ATM... Altho I see with yesterdays post about 5.0 Beta 3 coming soon unRAID will support these drives better without jumpers, I will keep my eye on that as my drives prob won't be here till Thursday or Friday.