[Support] D34DC3N73R - Netdata GLIBC (GPU Enabled)

• 3 weeks later...

Somehow i cant get this container to run at all. After first start i get this output

Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (185.199.109.133:443)
wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Netdata entrypoint script starting

And after every other restart the last line just repeats, nothing happens and the container stays stopped

EDIT: I have found the issue myself and created a pr on github

Edited by Joly0
  • 1 month later...
On 12/12/2022 at 7:08 PM, Joly0 said:

Somehow i cant get this container to run at all. After first start i get this output

Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (185.199.109.133:443)
wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Netdata entrypoint script starting

And after every other restart the last line just repeats, nothing happens and the container stays stopped

EDIT: I have found the issue myself and created a pr on github

I'm facing the exact issue, can you share your findings?  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! I'm trying to enable the ping plugin to monitor the reachability of systems on my network. I've followed the online documentation but I'm somehow missing something. It doesn't appear in the GUI. I check it via the debug troubleshooting and it is pinging and collecting data, but I can't figure out how to see it in the web gui. Can someone help me with what I believe is a very basic feature of netdata?

On 2/11/2023 at 8:32 PM, FCA Administrator said:

Hi there! I'm trying to enable the ping plugin to monitor the reachability of systems on my network. I've followed the online documentation but I'm somehow missing something. It doesn't appear in the GUI. I check it via the debug troubleshooting and it is pinging and collecting data, but I can't figure out how to see it in the web gui. Can someone help me with what I believe is a very basic feature of netdata?

If you search the logs for "go.d ERROR: ping" you'll likely see "listen ip4:icmp : socket: operation not permitted" 
when using ping, you can get around this by using unprivileged udp pings

For example

jobs:                                                                                                                   
  - name: pihole                                                                                                        
    hosts:                                                                                                              
      - 192.168.0.231                                                                                                   
      - 192.168.0.232                                                                                                   
    privileged: no

After a reboot you'll see ping show up under sensors
image.png.72afd50c52bd30ed5537782c1f4788ac.png

4 hours ago, D34DC3N73R said:

If you search the logs for "go.d ERROR: ping" you'll likely see "listen ip4:icmp : socket: operation not permitted" 
when using ping, you can get around this by using unprivileged udp pings

For example

jobs:                                                                                                                   
  - name: pihole                                                                                                        
    hosts:                                                                                                              
      - 192.168.0.231                                                                                                   
      - 192.168.0.232                                                                                                   
    privileged: no

After a reboot you'll see ping show up under sensors
image.png.72afd50c52bd30ed5537782c1f4788ac.png

Thanks so much, that fixed it! It never occurred to me to set the privileged option.

Where is the log file exactly? /var/log/health.log seems to be the only one that gathers data, the others symlink to /dev/null, and I don't see an error like you mentioned...

2 hours ago, FCA Administrator said:

Thanks so much, that fixed it! It never occurred to me to set the privileged option.

Where is the log file exactly? /var/log/health.log seems to be the only one that gathers data, the others symlink to /dev/null, and I don't see an error like you mentioned...

The container logs, or from unraid terminal / ssh

docker logs netdata-glibc 2>&1 | grep "go.d ERROR: ping"

On 1/30/2023 at 8:02 AM, Wiseone001 said:

currently yes.. i have disabled it but would like to get this active.

Thanks

I have a test template and image available to try out. 
To get the template, in unraid terminal or ssh run 

wget -O /boot/config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user/my-netdata-glibc-dev.xml https://raw.githubusercontent.com/D34DC3N73R/unraid-templates/dev/netdata-glibc.xml

In the unraid docker page, scroll to the bottom and click 'add container'. Select 'netdata-glibc-dev' from the template dropdown and change the image (Repository:) to 
d34dc3n73r/netdata-glibc:dev

If you've never installed before, this should be all it takes. If you have files and folders in /mnt/user/appdata/netdata, I recommend moving them to a temp directory like netdata-temp, and then starting the container once, stopping it and copying any configs you want to keep to the new netdata folders. 

The new environment variables NETDATA_CLAIM_TOKEN, NETDATA_CLAIM_URL, and NETDATA_CLAIM_ROOMS are not required, but if you want to connect to netdata cloud, see https://learn.netdata.cloud/docs/agent/claim#connect-an-agent-running-in-docker for instructions on how to get the claim token and claim room (claim url is prefilled).

I'd appreciate any feedback or experiences. 

On 2/15/2023 at 4:03 AM, D34DC3N73R said:

wget -O /boot/config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user/my-netdata-glibc-dev.xml https://raw.githubusercontent.com/D34DC3N73R/unraid-templates/dev/netdata-glibc.xml

In the unraid docker page, scroll to the bottom and click 'add container'. Select 'netdata-glibc-dev' from the template dropdown and change the image (Repository:) to 

If you've never installed before, this should be all it takes. If you have files and folders in /mnt/user/appdata/netdata, I recommend moving them to a temp directory like netdata-temp, and then starting the container once, stopping it and copying any configs you want to keep to the new netdata folders. 

The new environment variables NETDATA_CLAIM_TOKEN, NETDATA_CLAIM_URL, and NETDATA_CLAIM_ROOMS are not required, but if you want to connect to netdata cloud, see https://learn.netdata.cloud/docs/agent/claim#connect-an-agent-running-in-docker for instructions on how to get the claim token and claim room (claim url is prefilled).

I am attempting this today and will let you know if im sucessful.  the nvidia card im running is Quadro K620  and will be swapping to the Quadro P4000  soon

On 2/15/2023 at 4:03 AM, D34DC3N73R said:

I have gotten it sucessfully installed.  thank you.. I will keep you posted!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 2/16/2023 at 10:40 AM, D34DC3N73R said:

I'm curious if you've tried to connect to netdata cloud or tried any custom configs using netdata edit-config. I have some general info about the dev container here for your reference. Thanks for trying out this new image and template!

I tried to connect it to netdata cloud and it worked like a charm!

Thank you for this thread; it tangentially helped shed some light/alleviate my frustration with unraid and docker

(pebkac related issues)

2 hours ago, iel said:

I tried to connect it to netdata cloud and it worked like a charm!

Thank you for this thread; it tangentially helped shed some light/alleviate my frustration with unraid and docker

(pebkac related issues)

Thanks for trying out the dev image. The CA template and image will be updated with the next netdata release. The only thing you'll need to do is change the image tag from :dev to :stable or :latest depending on your preference.

Edited by D34DC3N73R
  • Like 1
On 11/11/2022 at 5:21 AM, Reynald said:

Hello,

I've sorted the claim thing by adding a volume and claiming via script. It survives reboots ;)

Added this volume mount in the template: 

/var/lib/netdata/cloud.d/ -> /mnt/user/appdata/netdata/cloud.d/

As per read here: https://learn.netdata.cloud/docs/agent/claim#connect-an-agent-running-in-docker

(well, this doc is quite outdated because mounting /etc/netdata or /var/lib/netdata won't work as we know...)

Then ran this command on host:

docker exec -it netdata netdata-claim.sh -token=TOKEN -url=https://api.netdata.cloud

As per documentation: https://learn.netdata.cloud/docs/agent/claim#using-docker-exec

Maybe 'netdata-claim.sh -token=TOKEN -url=https://api.netdata.cloud' works in container console from unraid GUI instead of ssh'ing in the host (but as I'm an SSH man ...)

Happy supervision!

Reynald

This worked for me! Why isn't this path a default in the template?

Edit: Sorry, nevermind, I see the dev release probably has it and will be released soonish...

Edited by Gex2501
Reading to end of thread.
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Gex2501 said:

Okay, so different question/issue. Is this docker missing the modules for windows and vnodes? I've tried following the instructions per this link, I have the exporter working on windows but I don't think Netdata is collecting any info.

https://learn.netdata.cloud/docs/data-collection/monitor-anything/System Metrics/Windows-machines#configuration

I'd recommend trying out the dev image & template. It's much more similar to stock netdata now that their image has override support. If it's a recent install, you're essentially using the new `edit-config` with the old method of custom override support. In the dev image, the only difference between this and stock netdata is the glibc support layer, enabling nvidia-smi by default, and adding nano as a config editor.

• 4 weeks later...

Some exciting news, the official Netdata image can now be used to enable nvidia GPUs! I've submitted a PR (recently merged) to netdata/netdata documentation as to how this works. d34dc3n73r/netdata-glibc will be deprecated in favor of using the official image, but I will keep the template up with the required configuration to enable nvidia GPUs.

For anyone who wants to test the template, you can run this command to get the new version using netdata/netdata

wget -O /boot/config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user/my-netdata-test.xml https://raw.githubusercontent.com/D34DC3N73R/unraid-templates/netdata-image/netdata-glibc.xml

It's fully compatible with the previous dev image so the same directories can be used.

A couple of important notes: 

- This is currently works with :edge and :latest tags. When the next stable build of Netdata is released it will work will all tags.

- You will likely have to edit python.d.conf to uncomment nvidia_smi: yes. More about that here: https://learn.netdata.cloud/docs/data-collection/monitor-anything/Hardware/nvidia_smi-python.d.plugin#docker-troubleshooting

Let me know if you have any questions or problems.

I installed the netdata container a few weeks ago, and it appears that the collected data isn't persisted prior to my most recent reboot of my server.  Where is the database supposed to be stored? I don't see anything in my `appdata/netdata` directory except the `override` folder, and all the subfolders inside are empty

The only thing mapped to appdata in the docker image is

/etc/netdata <-> /mnt/cache/appdata/netdata/override

Edited by veri745

It would appear in the template

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/D34DC3N73R/unraid-templates/master/netdata-glibc.xml

There is a mapping for "Netdata Cache"

<Config Name="Netdata Cache" Target="/var/lib/cache/netdata" Default="/mnt/user/appdata/netdata/cache" Mode="rw" Description="" Type="Path" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">/mnt/user/appdata/netdata/cache</Config>

However: 

A) This entry does not appear when I install from the template from Community Applications

and

B) It's mapping to `/var/lib/cache/netdata` instead of the actual path used in the container `/var/cache/netdata`

On 5/10/2023 at 11:58 AM, veri745 said:

I tried mapping both 

/var/lib/netdata

and
/var/cache/netdata

as specified in the Docker Compose instructions to my appdata folder, but neither would let the container start

You happen to install right before some significant changes to the template and image. I would suggest removing the container and reinstalling from the community app store. Afterwards, you can copy configuration files from /mnt/user/appdata/netdata/override to /mnt/user/appdata/netdata/config. 

These are the new folders for persistent data
image.thumb.png.fec07907e06d39fcfe157b386194169c.png

There are also now environment variables to enter a netdata cloud token and room ID. Let me know if you run into any trouble.

On 5/12/2023 at 12:41 AM, D34DC3N73R said:

You happen to install right before some significant changes to the template and image. I would suggest removing the container and reinstalling from the community app store. Afterwards, you can copy configuration files from /mnt/user/appdata/netdata/override to /mnt/user/appdata/netdata/config. 

These are the new folders for persistent data
image.thumb.png.fec07907e06d39fcfe157b386194169c.png

There are also now environment variables to enter a netdata cloud token and room ID. Let me know if you run into any trouble.

I reinstalled and used those default mappings.  There does not appear to be any write activity to any of those mapped directories.

The config directory remained complete empty.  I copied over the data from my "override" folder, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

I would just go ahead and use the official netdata docker, but the template for that image is completely empty, too

Edited by veri745