(Closed) Longer spin down timer

Hi everyone!

After I installed a few more 4TB WD Reds inside my case (there were already a few Ironwolfs) I receive warnings about a couple of the WD Reds getting hot (over 45C) which I know is acceptable as long as it is under 50C but I wanted to try spinning down disks that are not used often to keep the overall tempertaure low.

For my usecase I need the drives that are used daily spun up so the access time is close to instant as possible, so I want to set my spin down time delay to more than 12 hours to account for sleep where no data will be accessed however the maximum in the drop down menu is 9 hours which is not enough for some days. Is it possible to change this config to 12 hours or even 24 hours somewhere in the OS using CLI or other means?

Thanks in advance!

Tony

Edited by tonyuh
closing topic
1 hour ago, Squid said:

Once you're talking about a spindown time of 24 hours, why not just set those drives to never spin down?

I could set the warning temperature to 50C and call it a day I suppose, I just want to try something before accepting that my drive life time might be a little shorter.

I can't believe no one has ever done a study on that.

Hell, someone write me a script to do the following and I'll buy 2 brand new disks and abuse them to failure in a "scientific" test. :D

disk 1: spin up and constantly write for 5 minutes, spin down for 5 minutes

disk 2: constantly write for 5 minutes, idle for 5 minutes

or set the time windows for whatever we think would be the most useful.

4 hours ago, Squid said:

Drive lifetime is probably longer if they never spin down. 

I'll clarify my use case a little and see if that makes any difference. Normally 1 project is being worked on at a time, so only drive #1 is being read from for lets say for the whole week, while disk #2-#6 are not in used at all. When the project is finished, a new project is ingested usually on another drive because of how I set up the allocation method and split level (ie. most free + split top level) lets say drive #2 so drive #1 and #3-#6 are not read from for another week.

I just wanted to know if the drive spin down time value can be change to more than 9 hours if the answer is no then I'll stop asking.

32 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You need to have proper cooling, how would would do a parity check or rebuild?

Thanks! I didn't think that far, I really thought the heat produced by WD Reds would be similar to Ironwolfs, guess I didn't research that well. I'll go buy some 140mm fans since 120mm isn't providing enough air flow :(