Array Unprotected After Drive Upgrade

I recently replaced a failing drive but now have a warning triangle next to the Start/Stop array button that shows that the array is unprotected. I tried the following but did was not able to unassign the new drive. I can only set it to no device but that shows as Too many wrong and/or missing disks next to the start array button. 

1. Stop the array.

2. Unassign the problem disk.

3. Start the array briefly, then stop it again.

4. Reassign the missing disk.

5. Start the array and the rebuild will start.

I am going to guess that his has something to do with the fact that I have an unassigned drive in the array. That happened a while ago when I went from 4 to 3 data drives now I guess that might be causing an issue. any help would be appreciated.

Capture.JPG.e83fd0662f97b42c817bbe9b6e932642.JPG

49 minutes ago, Polhub said:

just wasn't able to get rid of the drive in the array.

Then it didn't work. You should have asked about it then.

There are 2 ways to shrink the array after making sure the disk is empty. The simplest is to New Config without the disk and rebuild parity. The other way is to clear the disk while it is in the array, then New Config without the disk and trust parity (since the clear disk has no effect on parity).

Either way New Config without the disk is necessary. You seem to have missed that somehow.

As far as Unraid is concerned, the disk is still part of the array whether or not it has any data, or whether or not it is missing or unassigned. In fact, Unraid has been emulating the missing disk all this time and you have been unprotected.

Last time I had to replace a disk it was a pain not having a spare slot to preclear so it decided to shrink the array so I would always have a slot to do so. Obviously this did not work as anticipated so I added the drive back into the array and the array is rebuilding as I type. After this I will need to shrink the array so I can get rid of the drive as it is failing.

Thanks for all the help.

tower-diagnostics-20200623-0957.zip

It has been more that 6 months since I shrunk the array. I used the information on the Wiki and followed the directions for The "Remove Drives Then Rebuild Parity" Method. I must have missed something in the process because I maintained 4 drives instead of the 3 I was wanting. Fortunately I was unable to find any missing data. I have added the drive back into the array and all is well except I now have 4 drives in the array again.  

1 hour ago, Polhub said:

the Wiki and followed the directions for The "Remove Drives Then Rebuild Parity" Method. I must have missed something in the process

https://wiki.unraid.net/Shrink_array#:~:text=The "Remove Drives Then Rebuild Parity" Method,-For removing one&text=This method does not keep,remaining drives and their contents.

Maybe it was this part of step 7:

Return to the Main page, and check all assignments. If any are missing, correct them. Unassign the drive(s) you are removing. Double check all of the assignments, especially the parity drive(s)!