Slow File Read from Unraid to my Mac - Please help!

Hey guys, First post here, 

quite disappointed because I jumped the gun and purchased the plus version and spent 3 days figuring all of the server out and now I have very slow connection to my unraid server. 

I am running a i7 3930k on an Asus p9x79 WS motherboard, 

with 32 gb or ram and using the on board NIC --- >  netgear 8 + 2 10GB --- > iMAC pro.  On the same switch I have my old Synology 1815+ that runs quite well and saturates my network.   

I have lots of photos - 1000s of RAW files and I need to access them and see them using photomechanic.  The software pulls thumbnails and populates pretty quickly on my Synology NAS, which in my mind is a less capable device -- not sure why unraid is so slow.  

for shits and giggles I installed freenas, and put in some old drives and tried.  And that was actually faster as well :(.  

I actually like the way unraid is set up, and I wish it would load folders and files at a faster speed for me to browse... or is this a pipe dream?  Should I look for other solutions?  

I've attached my diag file -- and let me know what else I can try -- I've downloaded the cache plugin, and tried to even link up a 10G aquantia NIC to the PC and see if that made a difference, but nope.  

The biggest difference between my Synology NAS and the Unraid server is when I open a folder, I can see Unraid CPU load up, but the transfers to my computer is below 100mbit sometimes like 70KB :( . 

Any help would be appreciated!  

tower-diagnostics-20200712-0204.zip

On 7/11/2020 at 11:19 PM, siva_haran said:

...I wish it would load folders and files at a faster speed for me to browse... or is this a pipe dream?  Should I look for other solutions?  

Try this:  navigate to the Settings > SMB page and turn on "Enhanced macOS interoperability" and see if that improves performance for you.

On 7/16/2020 at 9:14 PM, AladdinSane said:

I am having a similar issue, my writes are hovering around 20MB/sec, but my reads are around 2MB/sec, bursting up to 7MB/sec at times. If I copy the same file to my Windows 10 box, it is a sustained 15MB/sec for the entire process.

Please post diags when server is transferring files, this is not normal.  Tools/Diagnostics

• 2 years later...