Emergency! Array not possible!

22 hours ago, Mor9oth said:

1. Power goes from PCI-E 8 pin connector (Power supply), split by 6 PIN Adapter (Y-cable, included to the SilverStone CS381 Case) to each Cage. The Cage has the 6 PIN female port, so this seems correct to me. Or is here a Problem? Can I reuse it that way if I got replaced the backplates and the Drives?

Reading this thread I don't think you yet established how this was caused. SAS data cable voltages are ~1V so it would be very surprising if this caused damage during connection. 

In my experience, the most probable cause is that that the polarity on the 12V PCI-E was reversed.

Until you identify how this was caused you are at risk of repeating the problem.

One suspect is the 8pin motherboard cable being used in error (rather than PCI-E) since these are wired with opposite polarity. It should be possible to connect due to keying, but cheap moldings may allow a plug to be force connected.

With the PCI-E cable disconnected from the cages and the PSU powered on (PC running)

Set multimeter set to DC volatage

Black probe to a black cable

Red probe (from meter) to yellow cable.

You should get a reading on +12V, check it is not - 12V 

6 hours ago, Mor9oth said:

What I tried by myself: Tested with multimeter the drives connected with a SATA to Molex Adapter.

All crossed (Alternating red and black cable with the sensors) Red/Black measurements shows OL; all Black/Black gives me ring up.

What does this mean when I go to a PC Doctor?

IMG-4924.thumb.jpg.4896d448c07d47c75965932a63136401.jpg

As the drive does not seem to have a short circuit on the input voltage (from the meter readings)....

I see you confirmed that 1TB drives spin up and that you have used the cages before but I didn't see you confirm that the 'damaged' drives won't spin up when connected to Molex (e.g. with that cable) 

The reason I check this is that the backplane would not generate +3.3V so you would have no issues using it, however a SATA power cable from your motherboard will have the 3.3V and stop the drive from powering up when powered directly.

The cable above looks odd as I can't see the pins for the red and back on the front edge, but you should definitely check  by powering up the disks via Molex before anything more distructive. For now just see if it spins up, no data connection.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

@Decto thank you so much for reflecting my comments with your knowledge! Since this is very important to me, I'm very thankful! I feel like you gave great impulses! 

Reading this thread I don't think you yet established how this was caused. SAS data cable voltages are ~1V so it would be very surprising if this caused damage during connection. 

Yes, I am absolutely unsure what the cause of the damage was. I'm worried about more and more... 
One thing comes more and more into my mind. When I powered the system including the new mainboard the first time (last Friday) up, nothing happened. Not even the CPU fan moved. This seemed strange to me but in logical way this should have been the new Motherboard.
To test this I tested the whole setting with 3 Motherboards. (Yes, at the moment I actually have 3 1151 boards here). Not even one let the CPU spin up. The drives I can't remember. But the thing is, this is all was tested at the same plug in the living room. I never used that plug before with my server. Then I came on the idea to test another plug, and then it booted up, CPU spins up, etc. Super strange! Feels like the power of the first plug wasn't strong enough. But since in our house there are some things implemented in an amateurish way, this plug is for now suspicious to me. 

In my experience, the most probable cause is that that the polarity on the 12V PCI-E was reversed.

Until you identify how this was caused you are at risk of repeating the problem.

Exactly! That is the reason why it is so important to me to find out!

One suspect is the 8pin motherboard cable being used in error (rather than PCI-E) since these are wired with opposite polarity. It should be possible to connect due to keying, but cheap moldings may allow a plug to be force connected.

I used a cable the wrong way? The power cable from the PSU is a PCI-E cable. It was included to my PSU. Is this wrong? If I need another cable, please tell me. I can just buy another one. All my power cables are from my PSU: Corsair SF450 Platinum - I thought the quality was super ...

IMG-4881.thumb.jpg.22067aef470326cd9df6570ed9ba0840.jpg

With the PCI-E cable disconnected from the cages and the PSU powered on (PC running)

I will test this tomorrow! Thx!

I see you confirmed that 1TB drives spin up and that you have used the cages before but I didn't see you confirm that the 'damaged' drives won't spin up when connected to Molex (e.g. with that cable) 

I tested the 1 TB drives in both cages (of course not working), over server-MB SATA (working) and at my PC connected with molex (working).

I tested the damaged drives in the same way, and they didn't work in any of these test cases.

I guess I didn't make photos. But to be safe I just tested it again: Not working → Not a single life signal. 

This is what you mean, right? 👇 (Please ignore the tangled cord)

IMG-4931.thumb.jpg.9de753902ed9d933dfd5a4a5837548b8.jpg

The cable above looks odd as I can't see the pins for the red and back on the front edge, but you should definitely check  by powering up the disks via Molex before anything more distructive. For now just see if it spins up, no data connection.

Ahhh ... without data connection I haven't tested. I try this also tomorrow!

Thank you very much!

Edited by Mor9oth
15 hours ago, Mor9oth said:

Just tested this as you described. 

I got +12.2V - so I guess this is good news for using the cages the same way as before, right?

IMG-4933.thumb.jpg.85f49613cc9d933475f2c2fe96fee001.jpg

15 hours ago, Mor9oth said:

I guess the cable looked odd just because of the angle. Below I attached a new picture from a better angle. I think the cable is fine.

I also tested the only SATA Power connection on my PC (in the drawer tangled cord) today to see if the drive spines up. Unfortunately it doesn't. It's still completely without any life sings.

IMG-4934.thumb.jpg.f1a2efa0baa99ac54f0ac060df10b991.jpg