unRAID Server Release 4.7 "final" Available

limetech

As I've changed the filesystem setting to 4K sectors, will there be any problems when I attach a new 512k drive (my former parity drive) after I've removed any partitions on it and attached it as a file drive into the array? Will unRaid try to use it as a 4K or a 512K drive after I've changed the default setting to 4K?

There is no such think as a 512b or 4k drive (not yet anyways). The setting just changes the location of the disk partition. Every drive presently available will work fine using the 4k-aligned setting except a WD EARS drive with the alignment jumper.

Thanks for the reply, lionelhutz!

Cheers!  :)

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Every drive presently available will work fine using the 4k-aligned setting except a WD EARS drive with the alignment jumper.

And even those will work, just not as efficient on small files as if set correctly.  (on large files, movies, media, etc... you probably would not notice unless you were looking for max performance)

Every drive presently available will work fine using the 4k-aligned setting except a WD EARS drive with the alignment jumper.

And even those will work, just not as efficient on small files as if set correctly.  (on large files, movies, media, etc... you probably would not notice unless you were looking for max performance)

True enough, they work but users have reported about 10Mbps speed difference between them being aligned or unaligned.

Peter

True enough, they work but users have reported about 10Mbps speed difference between them being aligned or unaligned.

Peter

I'm running 4.7 -- is it as easy as temporarily booting 5.x and the script I've seen here to check my alignment?    I'm not really wanting to pull all the drives and checking their jumpers.  {Sorry for the lazy question on the lazy way to check things}

Peter

I'm running 4.7 -- is it as easy as temporarily booting 5.x and the script I've seen here to check my alignment?    I'm not really wanting to pull all the drives and checking their jumpers.   {Sorry for the lazy question on the lazy way to check things}

Click on the disk link on the main page in 4.7 and it will tell you the alignment. Unaligned is a partition starting on sector 63 and 4k-aligned is a partition starting on sector 64. 4k-aligned is the best for any advanced format drive unless you have an EARS with the jumper installed. Either setting works just as well for any non-advanced format drive.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

I have 4 WD15EADS-00P in a new array, with partition type set as 4k aligned and the disks have no jumpers.

3 disks say 4k aligned and one says unaligned  ???

How do I get the one disk aligned?

thank in advance

1. your disks never would need a jumper, since ONLY the EARS drives had that capability.

2. unless you have a "advanced format" drive that works best when its partition is aligned at a 4k boundary, there is no need to do anything.

3. To change the partition starting sector so that it is aligned with a 4k boundary (starting on sector 64 rather than 63) you must first delete the existing partition table.

I have 4 WD15EADS-00P in a new array, with partition type set as 4k aligned and the disks have no jumpers.

3 disks say 4k aligned and one says unaligned  ???

How do I get the one disk aligned?

thank in advance

1. your disks never would need a jumper, since ONLY the EARS drives had that capability.

2. unless you have a "advanced format" drive that works best when its partition is aligned at a 4k boundary, there is no need to do anything.

3. To change the partition starting sector so that it is aligned with a 4k boundary (starting on sector 64 rather than 63) you must first delete the existing partition table.

1) Ok thanks, I must have read that wrongly from earlier threads on these drives. Np

2) They are advanced format drives

3) So just delete the partition table for that drive with dd?

Thanks

3) So just delete the partition table for that drive with dd?

That is one way.  Just make sure you've got the right disk.

Or, if you have the preclear_disk.sh script you can use

peclear_disk.sh -z /dev/sdX

and it will zero the MBR for you.

or, you can use the same script to preclear the disk, and it will set the initial partition as you desire.

preclear_disk.sh -A /dev/sdX    = start partition on sector 64 (sector 64 is 4k aligned).

preclear_disk.sh -a /dev/sdX    = start partition on sector 63 (sector 63 not 4k-aligned)

preclear_disk.sh /dev/sdX        = start partition based on the default setting you've made in the unRAID settings screen.

I should mention ALL THE ABOVE ARE DESTRUCTIVE.  You'll lose all the data on the disk.  DO NOT change the alignment if the disk is already in your array.  You MUST un-assign the disk to change its alignment.

Joe L.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Did a upgrade from 4.6 , Now a have a issue with one disc, Replacement disk is too small.

I know that is the GIGABYTE issue, but how can I easily fix this ? without loosing my data on that disk?

DISK_WRONG	/dev/md5		/dev/sdf	SAMSUNG_HD103UJ_S13PJ1KQ612827 <-- was old disk in this slot
  SAMSUNG HD103UJ _S13PJ1KQ612827 <-- current disk in this slot

From syslog

Jan 25 17:31:36 Tower kernel: ata8.00: HPA detected: current 1953523055, native 1953525168 (Errors)

Same thing happened to me. I went back to version 4.5.4. hope they fix this issue in the next release. I want to get a 3TB parity drive.

//Peter

Hi

Did a upgrade from 4.6 , Now a have a issue with one disc, Replacement disk is too small.

I know that is the GIGABYTE issue, but how can I easily fix this ? without loosing my data on that disk?

DISK_WRONG	/dev/md5		/dev/sdf	SAMSUNG_HD103UJ_S13PJ1KQ612827 <-- was old disk in this slot
  SAMSUNG HD103UJ _S13PJ1KQ612827 <-- current disk in this slot

From syslog

Jan 25 17:31:36 Tower kernel: ata8.00: HPA detected: current 1953523055, native 1953525168 (Errors)

Same thing happened to me. I went back to version 4.5.4. hope they fix this issue in the next release. I want to get a 3TB parity drive.

//Peter

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10866.0

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to download v4.7, but I'm now getting the "Replacment disk is too small.", but I didn't replace any drives.

Syslog shows:

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel: hdc: SAMSUNG HD502HI, ATA DISK drive

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel: hdc: host max PIO4 wanted PIO255(auto-tune) selected PIO4

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel: hdc: UDMA/100 mode selected

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel: hdc: max request size: 512KiB

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel: hdc: Host Protected Area detected.

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel: ^Icurrent capacity is 976771055 sectors (500106 MB)

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel: ^Inative  capacity is 976773168 sectors (500107 MB)

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel: hdc: 976771055 sectors (500106 MB) w/16384KiB Cache, CHS=60801/255/63

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel: hdc: cache flushes supported

Jun 13 11:19:01 Tower kernel:  hdc: hdc1

Jun 13 11:19:03 Tower kernel: md: import disk1: [22,0] (hdc) SAMSUNG HD502HI S1VZJ1NQB06007 size: 488385492

Jun 13 11:19:03 Tower kernel: md: disk1 wrong

Are these the commands that I should issue?

hdparm -N p976773168 /dev/sdc

hdparm -N /dev/sdc

(i.e., native capacity instead of current capacity?)

Well,

got this:

root@Tower:~# hdparm -N p976773168 /dev/sdc

/dev/sdc:
setting max visible sectors to 976773168 (permanent)
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Invalid exchange
root@Tower:~# hdparm -N /dev/sdc

/dev/sdc:
root@Tower:~#

Well, issued the commands for the wrong device.

Now, for the right one...

root@Tower:~# hdparm -N p976773168 /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
The running kernel lacks CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL support for this device.
READ_NATIVE_MAX_ADDRESS_EXT failed: Invalid argument
root@Tower:~# hdparm -N /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:

/dev/hdc:

/dev/hdc:

Looks like you are trying to run this on an IDE drive.  If this is not the case then your motherboard is presenting the drive as an IDE drive and not a SATA one.

I do not know for sure if the above commands you used will work on an IDE drive.

Please start another topic in the General Support forum so we don't clog up the announcments thread with this topic.

/dev/hdc:

/dev/hdc:

You'll need to use an alternate tool, or an alternate disk controller port.   From what it is saying, you can't do it as the kernel does no have the correct IO CONTROL command for that operation/disk controller.

I did notice the drive is in PIO mode as an IDE device.  That might be the issue.  It needs to be ACHI mode, not legacy IDE emulation mode.

/dev/hdc:

/dev/hdc:

Looks like you are trying to run this on an IDE drive.  If this is not the case then your motherboard is presenting the drive as an IDE drive and not a SATA one.

I do not know for sure if the above commands you used will work on an IDE drive.

Please start another topic in the General Support forum so we don't clog up the announcments thread with this topic.

Ok, opened a new thread here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=13456.0

/dev/hdc:

/dev/hdc:

You'll need to use an alternate tool, or an alternate disk controller port.   From what it is saying, you can't do it as the kernel does no have the correct IO CONTROL command for that operation/disk controller.

I did notice the drive is in PIO mode as an IDE device.  That might be the issue.   It needs to be ACHI mode, not legacy IDE emulation mode.

So, I'd better check the BIOS settings, right?

/dev/hdc:

/dev/hdc:

I did notice the drive is in PIO mode as an IDE device.  That might be the issue.   It needs to be ACHI mode, not legacy IDE emulation mode.

So, I'd better check the BIOS settings, right?

yes, it should show as a /dev/sdX, not as an "hdX"
  • 4 weeks later...

hello,

I want to upgrade from 4.6 to 4.7

Why?

Cause i have a parity drive (wd20ears) and 2 data drives (wd20ears) all jumpered, and i want to add a new wd20ears to it.

I've read that i have to get to 4.7 then (for the 4k alignment)

i just follow this? :

I download the zip file

Make the usb flash device empty

put the files from the zip onto the usb flash device

All my addons will still be there?

I want to be sure, so i dont loose data