future of unraid parity mechanics

Nexius2

Hello, I don't know if this is the good place to post this but I'm new to unraid and after 2 month of usage, I notice that the partity check takes about 2 days for 10To.

Since hard drives are growing fast, what will happen when we will have 100To? It will take 20 days, it can't be seriously lanched every month...

And 20 days of reading on all drive will reduce performance.

I know we are not there yet, but I'm a bit concerned because we already are at the 20To limit and 4 days of check is already pretty long....

Edited by Nexius2
1 hour ago, Nexius2 said:

Hello, I don't know if this is the good place to post this but I'm new to unraid and after 2 month of usage, I notice that the partity check takes about 2 days for 10To.

Since hard drives are growing fast, what will happen when we will have 100To? It will take 20 days, it can't be seriously lanched every month...

And 20 days of reading on all drive will reduce performance.

I know we are not there yet, but I'm a bit concerned because we already are at the 20To limit and 4 days of check is already pretty long....

It is your decision as to how frequently you run the check - it is all about your tolerance for risk of a drive starting to fail.   There is not much that can be done to shorten it as by its very nature it reads every sector on every drive.  You can use the Parity Tuning plugin to at least schedule such checks to run in increments outside prime time (albeit at the expense of the elapsed time getting longer) so that impact on users is minimised.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, JorgeB said:

That's a lot for 10TB, it should be around 18 to 20 hours, unless there's some bottleneck or you have a lot of different size devices in the array.

I've got 12 disks, 8-10 and 14To and about to add 12 more 3 and 10To.

how could I check about some bottleneck, I notices sometime data access is very slow when multiple people using it even if data is not on the same disk.

thanks