Suddenly not able to access SMB shares in Windows

Hello I hope you guys can help. For some reason I can't seem to access the SMB shares on my Unraid 6.8.3. I rebooted the system, I forced a password change on the user in particular and removed any associated credentials from Windows and I keep getting the error. "You might not have permission to use this network resource"

I hope the diagnostic logs can help. I'm not sure what I can do.

diagnostics-20201208-0320.zip

16 minutes ago, trurl said:

Can you access public shares?

Nope, at least, I've figured out that the problem appears to be centralized to the computer and not the server. It's very strange, I remove the credentials from Credential Manager and re-add them and it still comes back with an error, very strange.

3 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

What version of Windows are your running?  (  winver  typed in search window of Taskbar will find this.)   What favor of Windows?   (Pro, Home, Edu, Enterprise?)   Did Windows recently do a 'feature' upgrade?  -- not the monthly security upgrade!

Version 20H2 so the newest one with all of the problems. This is the pro version.

Sorry, I was forced (by my ownn stupidity) to 2004, so I will not be of much help to you.  (I did find that the upgrade reset the access permissions to Windows public peer-to-peer shares.    Control Panel   >>>  Network and Sharing Center   > Advance share settings    But this did not affect access to Unraid public shares.)   Look at the last few pages of the thread that @trurl pointed you to.  Even if you have made these changes in the past, double check that MS did not reset them for you!!!!

Beyond that, start to google and see what you find.  When you find a solution, be sure to post up the results in the Windows troubleshooting thread. 

31 minutes ago, ijuarez said:

Just did a fresh install like 2 days ago and I am able to access my public shares no problem. I am on the latest stable of unraid 

Again the favor of of 20H2 can make a difference.  Security settings can vary between them.  (That 's one thing that makes solving these problems so difficult!)

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same exact issues. I was using Windows 10 2004 and not able to see my share. Then, I upgraded to 20H2 and I still have the same problem. Tried everything and nothing is working. I tried with an other computer and it's not seeing the \\tower.

I can ping the internal IP.

I have a Windows VM in unraid and it can access the share. My main windows 10 can access that VM in Network.

I'll take any help. Thank you

Edited by ddube
add information
7 hours ago, ddube said:

I have the same exact issues. I was using Windows 10 2004 and not able to see my share. Then, I upgraded to 20H2 and I still have the same problem. Tried everything and nothing is working. I tried with an other computer and it's not seeing the \\tower.

I can ping the internal IP.

I have a Windows VM in unraid and it can access the share. My main windows 10 can access that VM in Network.

I'll take any help. Thank you

We need much more information.  What is the security of the share you are trying to access? Can you access any share?  What is the Error message?   Have you setup a Public share (for testing) to see if you can access that share?   Can you access the GUI?  What is the Local Master for your SMB network?  Is the PC with the issue a member of the same workgroup?

6 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

We need much more information.  What is the security of the share you are trying to access? Can you access any share?  What is the Error message?   Have you setup a Public share (for testing) to see if you can access that share?   Can you access the GUI?  What is the Local Master for your SMB network?  Is the PC with the issue a member of the same workgroup?

I have set multiple share to "public" and some to "private" with username/password the same as my windows. I can't access any share at all. Windows explorer is not finding "Tower". The error I get is : 0x80070035 The network path was not found. I can ping tower, I can connect with FTP, I can access the GUI and the VM in my unraid setup is able to access my share. The Local Master SMB is set to WORKGROUP and my computer is at WORKGROUP by default.

1 hour ago, ddube said:

I have set multiple share to "public" and some to "private" with username/password the same as my windows. I can't access any share at all. Windows explorer is not finding "Tower". The error I get is : 0x80070035 The network path was not found. I can ping tower, I can connect with FTP, I can access the GUI and the VM in my unraid setup is able to access my share. The Local Master SMB is set to WORKGROUP and my computer is at WORKGROUP by default.

OK the problem appears to be on the Win10 end of things.  Start with  Control Panel   >>>    Network and Sharing Center  then look for Change Advance Sharing Options in the left panel.  Turn off any security setting and make things as loose as possible for all three profiles. 

IF that does not work, then go to this thread: 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89452-windows-issues-with-unraid/

Start with the last page and basically work back through it.  Be sure to look at all the options that involve making changes using Registry Editor and the Group Policy Editor (if you have Win10 PRO).  

Please understand that you are on the leading edge of Win10 20H2 adapters. (I have basically turn off the upgrade to 20H2 until most of the problems have solutions...)  Keep Googling for a solution as you will not be the only person with this problem. 

8 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

What is the Local Master for your SMB network? 

You really did not answer this question.  Read this post for what I am talking about:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89452-windows-issues-with-unraid/?tab=comments#comment-515625

You really want your server to be the Local Master unless you are enough of a SMB guru that you know a reason why it should not be!

There is also a utility that will allow you to see if your WIN10 Client is a member of the workgroup.  You can read about that here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89452-windows-issues-with-unraid/?tab=comments#comment-536447

BTW, the whole first page of this thread is filled with tidbits about the inner workings of SMB and some insights into why there are so many problems with it...

I wanted to say first that I really appreciate the time you take to help me out.

I've tried to change all parameters in the advanced sharing option without luck. I'm using win10 pro so I went to gpedit to add the lanman to configured (and even tried in regedit) without luck. I've tried installing SMB1.0, SMB Direct, adding a user/pass in windows credentials = no luck.

I've used lanscan.exe to see my network and it can see "TOWER" using the lan ip that I gave it (192.168.1.x) with WORKGROUP and MASTER parameter. Still, I am not able to access it directly with windows explorer.

I'm currently new to the unraid, I was keeping an eye to make an home server for quite some years and decided to do it now. When I decided to make this real, I was on windows 2004. I saw post on the forum that 2004 compatibility was a matter of luck so I tried 20H2, just in case.

The only thing I haven't done yet is to modify parameters in the SMB section on unraid.

41 minutes ago, ddube said:

The only thing I haven't done yet is to modify parameters in the SMB section on unraid.

Before you do that be sure that you have explored this option:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89452-windows-issues-with-unraid/page/9/?tab=comments#comment-927808

As I said, I am 98% sure that MS made some changes in its security profile that is leading to your problem.  Be sure to check both the Group Policy Editor and Registry Editor settings.  (I know that MS actually changed some settings that I made in version 1909 when I did the upgrade to version 2004 that broke peer-to-peer sharing.)  The fact that you changed something in an earlier version does not mean that MS could not have changed your settings when it did the upgrade.  If some setting has 'disappeared', google and see if you can find where it went... 

One more thing to try.  Use the IP address (rather the server name) in Windows Explorer---   \\192.168.1.x    Sometimes this will work.  (Part of the witchcraft solution set...)

Edited by Frank1940
3 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Before you do that be sure that you have explored this option:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89452-windows-issues-with-unraid/page/9/?tab=comments#comment-927808

As I said, I am 98% sure that MS made some changes in its security profile that is leading to your problem.  Be sure to check both the Group Policy Editor and Registry Editor settings.  (I know that MS actually changed some settings that I made in version 1909 when I did the upgrade to version 2004 that broke peer-to-peer sharing.)  The fact that you changed something in an earlier version does not mean that MS could not have changed your settings when it did the upgrade.  If some setting has 'disappeared', google and see if you can find where it went... 

One more thing to try.  Use the IP address (rather the server name) in Windows Explorer---   \\192.168.1.x    Sometimes this will work.  (Part of the witchcraft solution set...)

Yes I tried to do what was in the post. I even tried to add the line in SMB Extra without any luck at all. My syslog is not even showing me error. Is there a way to know if my syslog is logging the smb ?

I've also done the group policy AND the registry entry without success.

And yes, I always use \\192.168.1.x but for the context I was saying \\TOWER.

I can't understand why it's not working.

I just went through this with someone on Discord today. If you logged in to a Public share from a windows PC you have to "exorcise" that from your Windows PC. This video explains how to do that. You can skip to 12:00 in.  

Then when you want to reconnect to a share from Windows 10 I recommend you go to My PC / This PC and click on "Map Network Drive." Then enter \\xxx.xxx.xx.xx\ShareName    The xxx being your server's IP address. 

Don't recommend doing this through the Network and Sharing center access in Win 10. It never works for me. 

5 minutes ago, ddube said:

I've tried last week every step in this video and tried again as of now. It still not working.

Make double sure that you have these turned on:

image.png.956742db45844d36d105aaf6ac8d6d56.png

=======

NOTICE that this allows your Windows client computer to see other Network computers. 

========

image.thumb.png.ac12ebdcd56d784600590dcbc674052e.png

========

NOTICE that this allows your Windows client computer to see other Network computers.  Observe that it appears in two different sections.   This seems to be the problem that you are having...

==========

image.png.f31b67dc3d33d8502bbe4ab0d7a6ad42.png

=========

This last one in the 'All Networks' dropdown seems to imply that it could be a two way street.  You may well not be able to access other resources that are not password protected. 

If this does not work, you are going to have to go the wider world for a solution.  I did a very cursory google search and there are a lot of folks with SMB issues who are using 20H2. 

Well, I've done all of these steps numerous time and I still don't understand why. I've tested with a windows 10 20H2 VM inside unraid and this windows can see the share and connect to it. The physical windows in my house can't see the share but can see the VM.

Uhm, I have no idea if this will help you because I am very new to unraid, but I am having some issues as well and came across the possibility of clicking start, type gpedit. Under computer config->administrative controls->network->Lanman workstation in the right window pane enable insecure guest logons set to "enabled". Worth a shot maybe if you haven't tried it already.