Group Buy - Sharkoon Rebel 12 Eco cases

fotogenius

Well, my Sharkroon Rebel 12 arrived.  Seems I had a bit better luck than Adrian.  Case was packed in an outer shipping box, packed with large bubble wrap (ziplock bag size).  The extra fan holders were packed securely.  Although the shipping box showed signs of wear, the Rebel12 box was perfect and the case itself was in pristine condition.  No blemishes or broken parts.

I have to say this is a very well thought out case.  For example, although the metal material is thin metal (good because its not too heavy, but not as strong as my old 1990's tank SuperMicro SC-760), most of the parts connect with screws.  Most Antec cases like to use rivets that severely limit the amount of disassembly that you can easily do.  I'l give an example, the upper drive slot had a built-in 5.25 -> 3.5 adapter, secured with 4 screws.  The top 2 screws on both sides were not accessible due to overhang.  Even right angled screwdrivers could not get up in there.  But when I looked closely, the top of the case was all screws.  10 screws later I was literally able to remove tthe entire top of the case leaving the vertical drive supports completely disconnected dangling in the air at the top.  This made it a breaze to remove the difficult to reach screws.  (The only thing I've noticed riveted is the motherboard tray.  And I wish it weren't because it interferes with using a clamp to flatten the drive supports on that one side.)

I really like the case, but am having issue with installing my drive cages, but I will discuss in a separte thread in the UCD subforum.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you got your case in perfect condition. You must have better mojo than me.

Avides is still negotiating with me. They want to give me a 25 Euro refund (approx. $40 USD).

I'm just trying to get them to send me replacement parts.

Odd thing is, even though I know I could use the case after I 'fixed' it, I'm left with the nagging feeling that I didn't get a new, undamaged product. And that is what I paid for.

Lian Li is looking better and better if I can figure how to install 2 more HDD into it.

Glad you got your case in perfect condition. You must have better mojo than me.

Maybe not.  I think I'd rather have the case with a few blemishes for $40 less. ;)

Avides is still negotiating with me. They want to give me a 25 Euro refund (approx. $40 USD).

I'm just trying to get them to send me replacement parts.

Odd thing is, even though I know I could use the case after I 'fixed' it, I'm left with the nagging feeling that I didn't get a new, undamaged product. And that is what I paid for.

Lian Li is looking better and better if I can figure how to install 2 more HDD into it.

I am about to go at my case with a dremmel - wish me luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I am not interested in the 12, but I am interested in the Rebel 9 Economy, or the new T9 Value.  Using Amazon.de as a pricing guide, shipping is about 25 EUR or $35 to get it here from Germany.  Combine that with 46 EUR ($65) for the Rebel 9 Economy, or 54 EUR ($76) for the new T9 Value, and I get something like $100 - $110 depending on the model.  I suppose it would be worthwhile if the cases weren't much more than $80 - $85, respectively.  The real question is, what happens if the case is damaged, which has happened to a few people on here.  In those cases they went to the reseller to get a refund/new part.  What do we do for support?

If you can beat the antec 1200 pricing then I expect there will be interest.

Which is going for 160-185 + shipping.

So around that price.

I am not interested in the 12, but I am interested in the Rebel 9 Economy, or the new T9 Value.

I'm sure if I can do one, I can do the other as well. Just working out a price with them, I just want to know where people sit when I am negotiating a price. And how much interest there is as I would need to get quite a few. --Not 1000... lol.

I purchased mine, shipped from Germany, for a total of 103 euros (about 144 USD) delivered.

Mine came in pristine condition.  Adrian.Ballard's had some damage, but the vendor made it good.  I don't know of anyone else that bought this case from the US.

My goal was to install 4 SuperMicro 5 in 3s, making the case capable of storing 26 drives.  The Rebel 12 made it a little challenging to use the top slot for a 5 in 3.  Took some effort to make it happen, but ultimately I was successful and am pretty happy with the result.  Hope to find time to take some pictures and do the writeup in the UCD forum soon.

I love that it is so compact and, now that it is assembled, stores so many drives with incredible ease.  I was thinking that the 2x3 arrangement in the case bottom would be a little hard to use, but they are very easy.  The cages have no "back" so the drives slide in leaving the front and back totally accessible by removing the case sides (which are about as easy to remove and reattached as I've seen).  Plus the drives use a simple rail system.  I don't think you could have a non-hot swap that would be any easier to use.  The 5x3s, from a depth perspective, fit perfectly.  That was a fear going in that was unfounded.  At first I wished the PSU was on the top instead of the bottom, but someone pointed out that it keeps the case from being too top heavy, and he is probably right.  So I like the PSU where it is.

If Sharkoon is going to sell them here, the cost, IMO, should be closer to $125 delivered.

An extra 1/2 inch in case height would make this case a total home run.  120mm fan mounts in front of the 2x3 cage would also be nice.  But if you enjoy a little DIY fun with a dremel, this case works great as is.

Bjp, longing for some pics!!! I can get the Economy version of the Rebel 12 for 77 euros where I am and I am seriously considering it. Having some worries about the drives temps though. How is it wrking in your case?

Price-comparising site for this case in The Netherlands. lowest € 69.95 without shipping

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/243372/sharkoon-rebel12-economy-(zwart).html?orderField=price&orderSort=asc

and from Germany as low as € 65,75

http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/969965_-rebel-12-economy-schwarz-sharkoon.html?ts=1301235237004