Group Buy - Sharkoon Rebel 12 Eco cases

fotogenius

Does anyone know if the Rebel 12 would support 4 5in3s?  Looks like maybe only 3, but appears maybe that floppy slot at the top could be removed and used.

Thanks!

Should do. Per my original Sharkoon Rebel 18 post:

Per my previous post, I didn't think the top 3.5" (floppy) bay could be removed, but it can -- I removed the top of the case and the bezel (front of the case) and unscrewed the bay converter:

5bckgm.jpg

Here's the result with a 3-in-3 right at the top of the case. Note that the top bay doesn't have any screw holes for 5.25" devices, so putting a single-drive SATA hotswap tray device there probably won't work. Using a 5-in-3 or 4-in-3 device is more likely to work as you can use the holes from the lower bays to mount the device:

f1ldw4.jpg2zivmlx.jpg11ug5sp.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging from this photo I would have to say yes, in addition to 6 internals. I wish the top were factory perforated for a fan.

You mean the top 5.25" bay? You can punch out the 3.5" slot as in this photo:

5bpgz4.jpg

Or leave it in. Having that top slot closed doesn't affect temps that much as you still have 11 bays with airflow. I put a cool-running WD 2TB EARS drive in there and it doesn't get hot at all.

I ordered one through Amazon Germany.  Thanks adrian and for the helpful ordering info!!  And neilt0/Chuck/sacretagent for helping answer all my technical questions.

I went ahead and ordered the Economy with 2 of the fan holders (I probably won't use them since I'm going with the Supermicro 5in3 hotswaps, but thought I might need them one day so what the heck.  Just under 110 euros ($150 USD) total.

Sorry to not wait for a potential group buy, but they were selling out and I thought I better act quickly.  With Sharkoon being non-responsive, wasn't sure it was going to be possible.

Should arrive in 2 - 4 weeks.

I ordered one through Amazon Germany.  Thanks adrian and for the helpful ordering info!!  And neilt0/Chuck/sacretagent for helping answer all my technical questions.

I went ahead and ordered the Economy with 2 of the fan holders (I probably won't use them since I'm going with the Supermicro 5in3 hotswaps, but thought I might need them one day so what the heck.  Just under 110 euros ($150 USD) total.

Sorry to not wait for a potential group buy, but they were selling out and I thought I better act quickly.  With Sharkoon being non-responsive, wasn't sure it was going to be possible.

I think it's a great case. See my link in sig (scroll down two posts)

I plan to redo my build story next week with a better description of how I took my case apart as there seems to be lots on interest in this case. It was reading  neilt0's build post that I based most of my build on ;D

So I have some bad news about shipping the case from Switzerland. As suspected by a few users, it's too expensive. Usually shipping is at least as much as the case and up to at least double the price! :( I think its not so much the weight thats the problem, but also the size.

Sorry about that! :(

You could flat pack the cases they come apart very easily  ;D

So I have some bad news about shipping the case from Switzerland. As suspected by a few users, it's too expensive. Usually shipping is at least as much as the case and up to at least double the price! :( I think its not so much the weight thats the problem, but also the size.

You could flat pack the cases they come apart very easily  ;D

HA! Yeah, a bit too easily. They're pretty sturdy if you don't monkey around too much with them though.

No problem, it was worth a shot.

I just got shipping notification.  International shipping was a surprisingly low $29 euros ($40), or about 50% of the cost of the case.

If anyone wants to purchase, go to Amazon Germany (your Amazon US userid/password works).  Find the case, but order from the "Avides" vendor (if you pick the Amazon one it will not give an international shipping option).  You might also want to buy a couple of the fan frames from the same vendor.

Many thanks to fotogenius for trying to make the group buy thing work!

If anyone wants to purchase, go to Amazon Germany (your Amazon US userid/password works).  Find the case, but order from the "Avides" vendor (if you pick the Amazon one it will not give an international shipping option).  You might also want to buy a couple of the fan frames from the same vendor.

Thanks for posting this information I spent hours trying to find the right seller that would ship to the US.

i am posting just to verify.

p&p for greece costs only 5 pounds from AVIDES (through amazon.co.uk).

it is the "Miditower Sharkoon Rebel12 Value-Edition black" (costing 120 pounds) but it is not a midi for sure.

the difference from the economy version is the huge fan on the side.

and a question:

if i buy (from amazon.de) the much cheaper eco model, i understand it would be wise to buy this:

http://www.amazon.de/Rebel12-Fan-Frame-System-frame/dp/B001DQE8DK/ref=sr_1_7?m=AOC3G2PBG3IY7&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1297732096&sr=1-7

does this fit behind the 5.25 brackets, behind the  internal HD enclosures or both?

it is the "Miditower Sharkoon Rebel12 Value-Edition black" (costing 120 pounds) but it is not a midi for sure.

the difference from the economy version is the huge fan on the side.

and a question:

if i buy (from amazon.de) the much cheaper eco model, i understand it would be wise to buy this:

http://www.amazon.de/Rebel12-Fan-Frame-System-frame/dp/B001DQE8DK/ref=sr_1_7?m=AOC3G2PBG3IY7&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1297732096&sr=1-7

does this fit behind the 5.25 brackets, behind the  internal HD enclosures or both?

fan mounts fit behind the faceplates in front of the HDDs.

See here....

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10427.0

Thanks for posting this information I spent hours trying to find the right seller that would ship to the US.

Many thanks to adrian ballard!  He did the leg work.

...and I'm still waiting for the case to arrive (been 2.5 weeks).

I contacted DHL, as they are the shipper, and they said once it actually gets to the states the USPS would pick it up from them and then deliver to me. ???

When I ordered, Amazon.de said est. delivery was Feb. 1 - 18.

Considering the delay so far, anyone else wanting this case might want to wait to see how this transaction pans out.

As soon as I get the case I'll post here and also the condition it arrives in.

£120? I paid £58.49 + VAT (£68.72) when I bought mine.

really? strange.... here it is in amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0010SITC2/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A1F8YGP86NG3IP

@adrian ballard: thanks. i also saw from the post you mentioned how the internal hdds are cooled

£120? I paid £58.49 + VAT (£68.72) when I bought mine.

really? strange.... here it is in amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0010SITC2/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A1F8YGP86NG3IP

@adrian ballard: thanks. i also saw from the post you mentioned how the internal hdds are cooled

I bought mine from Scan. Other buyers have paid a similar price to what I paid.

As I mentioned a few times in other threads, I believe this case has been discontinued, so there are fewer places that will have stock. Your link led to a store listed on Amazon (not Amazon). You may be able to find it at a lower price elsewhere. But, be quick!

And what I have here is a nice big case of foot in mouth disease.

So I get  home from work yesterday to find the 'Sorry We Missed You' slip from the USPS.

Unfortunately I can't get over to my local PO to pick up the case till Saturday but at least I know it's there.

So, what we have learned.....

1. The case took just over 3 weeks (from the day I placed the order) to travel from Germany to Texas.

2. DHL (the original shipper) for some odd reason still shows that 'The international shipment has been processed in the export parcel center" and has since Jan. 28. How odd as they had to have handed it off at some point to the USPS. DHL tracking sucks.

More to come as I actually get the case Saturday and inspect it for any shipment damage......

And what I have here is a nice big case of foot in mouth disease.

So I get  home from work yesterday to find the 'Sorry We Missed You' slip from the USPS.

Unfortunately I can't get over to my local PO to pick up the case till Saturday but at least I know it's there.

So, what we have learned.....

1. The case took just over 3 weeks (from the day I placed the order) to travel from Germany to Texas.

2. DHL (the original shipper) for some odd reason still shows that 'The international shipment has been processed in the export parcel center" and has since Jan. 28. How odd as they had to have handed it off at some point to the USPS. DHL tracking sucks.

More to come as I actually get the case Saturday and inspect it for any shipment damage......

I can only wish you good luck. I also have the same problem with Germany (i live in Greece). I have seen cases where i got items dispatched from both the U.K. and Germany and the former arrived 2 weeks earlier than the latter. There must be a problem with Germany's post office services. (And i cant stress that enough, i live in Greece, my post office standards are very low :) )

Well I finally picked the case up. That's the good news.

Now the bad: The unit was not double boxed so the exterior box was pretty beat up and things were rattling around inside. Once I got home, I opened the unit and the 2 extra fan covers I had ordered had been packaged inside. But, there was some damage.

The plastic front frame uses plastic standoffs to secure it into place. Half of these were broken off.

Superglue time!

The drive cover that has the Sharkoon logo has a broken tab so isn't real secure.

More superglue here...........

There is a small scratch on the side of the case @ the top edge.

Easily fixed with a sharpie.

I've contacted Avides via email to see about replacement parts and am awaiting a reply.

As for the case itself: It is a perfect server tower.

Take the above for what it's worth ....

I'm off to smell the superglue

Well I finally picked the case up. That's the good news.

Now the bad: The unit was not double boxed so the exterior box was pretty beat up and things were rattling around inside. Once I got home, I opened the unit and the 2 extra fan covers I had ordered had been packaged inside. But, there was some damage.

The plastic front frame uses plastic standoffs to secure it into place. Half of these were broken off.

Superglue time!

The drive cover that has the Sharkoon logo has a broken tab so isn't real secure.

More superglue here...........

There is a small scratch on the side of the case @ the top edge.

Easily fixed with a sharpie.

I've contacted Avides via email to see about replacement parts and am awaiting a reply.

As for the case itself: It is a perfect server tower.

Take the above for what it's worth ....

I'm off to smell the superglue

Pictures?