5.0b2/b4 - Mover/Cache Disk Issue, Now Duplicate Objects Error

SuperW2

Ok, this might be a separate issue, but I cannot understand why UnRaid thinks I'm out of space when trying to write to one of my User Shares...

Feb 11 20:37:08 Media shfs: shfs_write: write: (28) No space left on device

I have hundreds of GB's free (I just added another 1TB), have my User Shares covering ALL 17 of of my Disk,  Have tried multiple Allocation Methods (currently at "Most Free with split level of 2).  But I'm still getting "Disk Full" Errors and Zero Byte files being generated because the array thinks its full...  I also seem to have quite a few DUPE files all over the place for some reason too.

I Current have the following structure on my Array... is there some other setting I should have on my allocation to prevent the User Shares from thinking they are full?

Movie\MovieName\Movie.avi or VIDEO_TS

TV\TVShowName\Sxx\Exx\Episode.AVI/MKV, etc

BACKUP\Multiple SubFolders

Games\Multiple Subfolders

Music\Genre\Artist\Album\Songs.MP3

When setting up allocation-method/split-level/included-disks/excluded-disks, you have to ask yourself, "Self, how do you want things to be organized on disks?"  The primary consideration is, "Do you want to control disk spin-up? And if so, how do you want to do it?"  If you don't care about disk spin-up, and you have all your disks spinning 24/7, well it probably doesn't matter, just use all defaults for a new share and files will get distributed across the array in a pretty even fasion.  But most people want to control disk spin-up for particular use cases:

- If I watch a movie, I only want the disk containing the movie to spin up (and thus all files of the movie have to obviously be on the same disk).

- If I'm viewing pictures, do I have a dedicated drive to hold them all, or maybe a set of drives?  Are there any other files on these drives (like movie files) or do I want to keep them separate?

For example, in your organization stated above:

- If you want Movie share to span all disks, and a particular MovieName to be on any disk, but all files within MovieName to be on same disk:

=> split-level 1 for Movie

- If you want TV share to span all disks, and a particular TVShowName to be on any disk, and a particular season of that show to be on any disk, but all files within a season to be on same disk:

=> split-level 2 for TV

etc.  It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

The disadvantage of unRAID is, for most cases, you can not just "run it as-is"; it requires some thought and understanding about how data is stored.  On the other hand, that is precisely one of unRAID's great advantages: you can have very detailed control over how files get placed on the disks.

Ok, this might be a separate issue, but I cannot understand why UnRaid thinks I'm out of space when trying to write to one of my User Shares...

Feb 11 20:37:08 Media shfs: shfs_write: write: (28) No space left on device

I have hundreds of GB's free (I just added another 1TB), have my User Shares covering ALL 17 of of my Disk,  Have tried multiple Allocation Methods (currently at "Most Free with split level of 2).  But I'm still getting "Disk Full" Errors and Zero Byte files being generated because the array thinks its full...  I also seem to have quite a few DUPE files all over the place for some reason too.

I Current have the following structure on my Array... is there some other setting I should have on my allocation to prevent the User Shares from thinking they are full?

Movie\MovieName\Movie.avi or VIDEO_TS

TV\TVShowName\Sxx\Exx\Episode.AVI/MKV, etc

BACKUP\Multiple SubFolders

Games\Multiple Subfolders

Music\Genre\Artist\Album\Songs.MP3

When setting up allocation-method/split-level/included-disks/excluded-disks, you have to ask yourself, "Self, how do you want things to be organized on disks?"  The primary consideration is, "Do you want to control disk spin-up? And if so, how do you want to do it?"  If you don't care about disk spin-up, and you have all your disks spinning 24/7, well it probably doesn't matter, just use all defaults for a new share and files will get distributed across the array in a pretty even fasion.  But most people want to control disk spin-up for particular use cases:

- If I watch a movie, I only want the disk containing the movie to spin up (and thus all files of the movie have to obviously be on the same disk).

- If I'm viewing pictures, do I have a dedicated drive to hold them all, or maybe a set of drives?  Are there any other files on these drives (like movie files) or do I want to keep them separate?

For example, in your organization stated above:

- If you want Movie share to span all disks, and a particular MovieName to be on any disk, but all files within MovieName to be on same disk:

=> split-level 1 for Movie

- If you want TV share to span all disks, and a particular TVShowName to be on any disk, and a particular season of that show to be on any disk, but all files within a season to be on same disk:

=> split-level 2 for TV

etc.  It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

The disadvantage of unRAID is, for most cases, you can not just "run it as-is"; it requires some thought and understanding about how data is stored.  On the other hand, that is precisely one of unRAID's great advantages: you can have very detailed control over how files get placed on the disks.

Thanks Tom...this still doesn't clear up in my mind why there are hundreds of duplicate files, many zero byte files and why the user shares think they are full, when they obviously are not.

tom

there is definately something amiss with usershares in 5b04

i added a new disk which is disk 11

750 gb free

make a new user share called stand.up.comedy

include disk11 in the included disks

min free i set at 50000 (but this makes no difference as even with nothing the issue is there)

when i click apply and done

i get 0 free for the stand.up.comedy usershare on the shares page

when i add a show to the share the mover doesn't move it as it says no fee space

the moment i change the usershare to not include any disks then i get 859 GB free on the share page  (not sure where he gets that number as there should be 1.57 tb free on the array according to unmenu)

disk 11 is also in the included disks for tv.to.see

and there i get on the usershare page 189.39 gb free

seems like this new disk is not counted in the array's usershare total space ?

hehe i saw that post but it didn't stick in my memory :P

i only remember from that post that the temp where not showing up on a lsi raid card :P

guess i have a selective memory sometimes :P

can not restart the array right now as i am moving stuff with MC so everything gets to the disk groups in the usershares

and then next step is the spinup groups ...

Archived