Very sluggish performance/unusable as media server...why?

Hello,

I'm very happy with the fact that my unRAID system can be used to back up all of my stuff, but it's quite sluggish...just opening windows and waiting for the file list to show up takes so long.  And it's still completely unusable as a media server.

Just to keep the post short, I've tried all the combinations to try to isolate the problem, but it's not the players (Apple TV or MacBook Pro) as they play full DVD rips from my AirDisk attached to the Airport Extreme...heck, they even play DVD's wirelessly.  But any DVD stream from the unRAID is a complete stuttering mess, even though it's attached to a gigabit network, with all cables and jacks at CAT6.

It's been updated to v 4.7, it has a combination of Western Digital drives, not sure what all else to post, but here's a syslog.

My linux skills are quite anemic, so whatever advice anyone has would be much appreciated. Thanks.

syslog_022111.rtf.zip

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I get...

Settings for eth0:

Supported ports: [ TP MII ]

Supported link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full

Supports auto-negotiation: Yes

Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full

Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Speed: 1000Mb/s

Duplex: Full

Port: MII

PHYAD: 0

Transceiver: internal

Auto-negotiation: on

Supports Wake-on: pumbg

Wake-on: g

Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)

Link detected: yes

When you try browsing the server, are you using a NAME or an IP? Are the drives spun down at the time? Have you tried running the cache_dirs addon?

Also, what info does ethtool -i eth0 show? It might be you're running a questionable NIC on the unraid server or one which has known issues in older Linux kernels.

unRAID emhttp: get_config_idx: fopen /boot/config/shares/lost+found.cfg: No such file or directory - assigning defaults

Does the above indicate that there is/was ReiserFS problems?

Yes, more than likely.  The lost+found folder is created is a ReiserFS rebuild is done and anything it can recover is generally put in that folder.

about the lost + found...very early in my unRAID experience I added a drive and did something very bad (can't remember the details) but it seemingly wiped out a bunch of data.  Using that utility a lost + found share was established, and the great majority of the data was recovered.

That data has since been moved onto other shares, so I should probably delete the lost + found share...

When you try browsing the server, are you using a NAME or an IP? Are the drives spun down at the time? Have you tried running the cache_dirs addon?

Also, what info does ethtool -i eth0 show? It might be you're running a questionable NIC on the unraid server or one which has known issues in older Linux kernels.

I guess I'm using an IP...that is, the shares are mounted on my desktop after I go to the 'connect to server' route, typing in smb://10. etc, then selecting the shares I want to see on the desktop.

I've tried accessing when drives are spun down and already spun up...it's longer if they aren't spun up, but once going the extreme stuttering is still there when trying to stream DVD's.

Here's what the ethtool -i eth0 shows...

driver: r8169

version: 2.3LK-NAPI

firmware-version:

bus-info: 0000:02:00.0

Not sure what the cache_dirs addon is, or how to use it?

here is the cache_dirs thread

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=4500.0

basicly i keeps the directory from your drives cached in memory

so when browsing the server there would be no drives spinning up

only when you go to deep then a drive will have to spin up or of course when you play something :)

the stuttering is weird...

i am watching a tv show from my unraid over wireless on my laptop (vlcplayer)

the kid is watching some cartoons (dvd . ISO format) on his computer (vlcplayer)

and the wife is watching a MKV in 1080 on the big screen in the living room... (Openelec Xbmc )

none of us stutters or buffers .....

and i am contantly dlding things with sab on that same server

you can see my specs in my sig...

I have not had many issues streaming from my unRAID machine.  Over Wireless I have trouble playing 720p content, but that depends on what player I use on my end.  Quciktime seems to buffer more content and will play the stuff pretty well.  VLC and MPlayerOSX seem to stutter every once in a while.  For playing DVD I double click the .ISO file to mount it on my desktop and then I open the Video_TS folder from Apples DVD Player application.  DVD Player seems to handle that playback better then VLC or MPlayerOSX also.

I do not have any problems with any of the content I have 720p included when I am on my wired network.

I don't mean to hijack, but I'm seeing this problem, too, on my very new UnRAID setup. Although there are some videos that play just fine, most stutter and are unwatchable. It happens with SD video, in my case. I am using Macs as well, with the UnRAID box connected (Cat5e) to an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station and other computers connecting wirelessly (n) to the network. I've just copied over a few videos, all in VIDEO_TS folders, just to test. I assumed it was a wireless problem, but maybe not. Hope we can get this figured out. Oh, MVP-X8SIL-F (i3-550) in the server.

ethtool eth0 output:

Supported ports: [ TP ]

Supported link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

1000baseT/Full

Supports auto-negotiation: Yes

Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

1000baseT/Full

Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Speed: 1000Mb/s

Duplex: Full

Port: Twisted Pair

PHYAD: 1

Transceiver: internal

Auto-negotiation: on

Supports Wake-on: pumbag

Wake-on: g

Current message level: 0x00000001 (1)

Link detected: yes

ethtool -i eth0 output:

driver: e1000e

version: 1.0.2-k2

firmware-version: 1.9-0

bus-info: 0000:03:00.0

I don't mean to hijack, but I'm seeing this problem, too, on my very new UnRAID setup. Although there are some videos that play just fine, most stutter and are unwatchable. It happens with SD video, in my case. I am using Macs as well, with the UnRAID box connected (Cat5e) to an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station and other computers connecting wirelessly (n) to the network. I've just copied over a few videos, all in VIDEO_TS folders, just to test. I assumed it was a wireless problem, but maybe not. Hope we can get this figured out. Oh, MVP-X8SIL-F (i3-550) in the server.

So you are trying to play a Video_TS folder over wireless correct?

1. What are you using to play the Video_TS folder? I have found DVD Player to work just fine, but others to not work.

2. If you are going over wireless, how far away from the wireless base station are you and how many walls are there in between?

Your hardware is capable of keeping up so that is not a problem. your network may be causing the problems (bad Cat5e cable, etc).

So you are trying to play a Video_TS folder over wireless correct?

1. What are you using to play the Video_TS folder? I have found DVD Player to work just fine, but others to not work.

2. If you are going over wireless, how far away from the wireless base station are you and how many walls are there in between?

Your hardware is capable of keeping up so that is not a problem. your network may be causing the problems (bad Cat5e cable, etc).

Yes, trying to play VIDEO_TS over wireless.

1. DVD Player (edit: just tried VLC and it's much improved, but still stutters occasionally, on both my MacPro and MacBookPro - DVD player seems to be 100% unwatchable for these particular videos)

2. The Base station is in the same room, about 5 feet away.

Brand new cable (Leviton, 25 ft) from the base station to the server.

p.s. I just saw the posts about the NIC issues with this board, but I have no other problems with the network, at least 1 other video (VIDEO_TS) plays fine.

heres some info about the video that plays well:

Video Attributes:

Video compression mode: MPEG-2

TV system: 625/50 (PAL)

Aspect Ratio: 4:3

Display Mode: reserved

Source picture resolution: 720x576 (625/50)

Frame Rate: 25.00

Source picture letterboxed: Not letterboxed

Bitrate: 4.36Mbps

Audio Attributes:

Audio Coding mode: MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 without extension bitstream

Sampling Rate: 48kHz

Audio application mode: Not Specified

Number of Audio channels: 2.0

Number of Audio streams: 1

and heres som info about one that won't play, without stuttering:

DVD Region 2

TV System-Pal

Type-Interlaced MPEG2

Bitrate-9.641 Mbps

Framerate-25.000

Resolution-720x576

Aspect Ratio-4x3

Audio

Dolby Digital (AC3)

Bitrate 384 Kbps

Sampling frequency-48 khz

Sampling Bits 16

bitrate is the only difference I notice.

output from 'ifconfig eth0' (sorry, came into the thread after that post & forgot)

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:25:90:0c:50:e4 

inet addr:10.0.1.11  Bcast:10.0.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:640 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:290 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:140116 (136.8 KiB)  TX bytes:64581 (63.0 KiB)

Memory:fb5e0000-fb600000

here it is after playing a while:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:25:90:0c:50:e4 

inet addr:10.0.1.11  Bcast:10.0.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:926205 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:941402 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:91291911 (87.0 MiB)  TX bytes:1053478158 (1004.6 MiB)

Memory:fb5e0000-fb600000

BTW, it works fine wired, as expected.I just can't have the cables strung across the hallway :o

Would powerline adaptors be fast enough to use for this?

BTW, it works fine wired, as expected.

The first rule of troubleshooting is isolate the discrete elements.  So you have eliminated unRAID as the problem.

I just can't have the cables strung across the hallway

That's a different problem then trying to tune unRAID.

Would powerline adaptors be fast enough to use for this?

Not bloody likely.  How were you connecting things when you got stuttering?

I am using Macs as well, with the UnRAID box connected (Cat5e) to an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station and other computers connecting wirelessly (n) to the network.

The Airport Extreme base station is my router, to which the UnRAID server is connected.

If I attempt to connect wirelessly to the Network (provided by the Airport Extreme)= stuttering. If I connect a cable to the router = works fine.

I do not have a long enough Cat6 cable ATM.

BTW, it works fine wired, as expected.