Unassigned Disks

On 10/12/2021 at 12:41 PM, Peter Holmes said:

no idea which one is the parity drive

Those diagnostics show you assigning disks as parity, parity2, and disk1. But it doesn't look like you ever started the array so maybe OK. There is also an SSD which I assume you intend for cache. Are those the only disks you had?

If you have a flash backup why didn't you try to use it? Or at least ask about using it?

Hi Trurl

Thanks for looking at the diagnostics. I think that pretty much sums up my approach. I dont have the knowledge or skills to set this up so its pretty much default. I previously had a Drobo and, in truth, thats my level and i should probably have just replaced that with a newer version.

I could really do with a step by step 'idiots' guides for non-techies on how to optimise UNRAID but everything I've seen assumes understanding or prior knowledge that I just don't have.

TBH, I wasnt even aware that i had two drives allocated as parity, which seems like overkill for me as i currently only have four disks, and one of them is cache.

I guess I can deal with all this later but, for now, just need to know how to asign these disks without overwriting my data. There are files I need to access urgently.

As for updating my OS, all i did was run the USB creator and point it at the latest stable version. So that has just overwritten the original OS on the USB stick. Do you recommend I wipe the new OS and replace it with the backup from my previous version?

Thanks again for helping