START OVER AGAIN

HHUBS

What are you trying to start over?

To delete all the settings, plugins, etc delete everything on the flash within /config except for the .key file and super.dat

To get rid of all the disk assignments, delete super.dat

You can keep on using the flash drive.  The license it tied to it, not to any particular piece of hardware in the system

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Squid said:

What are you trying to start over?

Unraid is already a "clean" install each time you boot. The OS is contained in archives on the flash drive. Those archives are unpacked fresh into RAM at each boot, and it runs completely in RAM. Nothing changes those archives on flash except upgrading Unraid to a new version. So, you get a fresh load of the "firmware" each time you boot up.

What do you hope to accomplish by starting over? The OS won't be any different. You can remove any plugins or dockers you don't want.

If you tell us what exactly your problems are, and post your diagnostics, maybe we can help you fix them without starting over.

I'm wanting to do something similar. I want to retain my license and use the USB flash drive on entirely new hardware. It sounds like I can just delete everything except the .key file and pop the USB drive into the new server if I want to use the same version?

What happens if I use the Unraid USB Creator on a licensed flash drive (which I assume will destroy the .key file) to start off with a newer version?

Thanks!

46 minutes ago, dev_guy said:

I want to retain my license and use the USB flash drive on entirely new hardware. It sounds like I can just delete everything except the .key file and pop the USB drive into the new server if I want to use the same version?

Shouldn't be necessary to delete anything unless for some reason you don't want some of your configuration. Are you going to be using the same disks in the new hardware? Your configuration is any of the things you have set in the webUI, including disk assignments, share settings, docker templates, ... Do you really want to get rid of all that? If you just want to use new hardware then no need to get rid of any of your configuration.

59 minutes ago, trurl said:

Shouldn't be necessary to delete anything unless for some reason you don't want some of your configuration. Are you going to be using the same disks in the new hardware? Your configuration is any of the things you have set in the webUI, including disk assignments, share settings, docker templates, ... Do you really want to get rid of all that? If you just want to use new hardware then no need to get rid of any of your configuration.

Thanks, but yeah, I'm starting with new disks and a completely different configuration. I've already moved most of my data to a NAS. I still don't know what happens if I use the USB Creator to install a new version onto the flash drive? Will it automatically license based on the serial number of the drive on a new system? Do I need to copy back the old .key file?