[SOLVED] New WD Red HDD > blk_update_request: critical medium error

parazit

Hello guys!

I have just purchased a new WD Red Pro 6TB and i am seeing a lot of "blk_update_request: critical medium error" in the pre-clear log.

The disk is connected through a USB Adapter instead of SATA at the moment, because all SATA ports are in use.

Is that a normal behavior?

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-04 um 10.55.54.png

Edited by parazit

I have did the extended SMART test and the test was good. After that i ran the pre clear script and everything was fine except of the post read verification. Is that something that i have to worry about?

Also the medium error in the Disk Information Log is still present, but thats kinda weird to me because i have those errors with a disk that failed and which i already replaced.

Any ideas?

Logs are attached.

Log.rtf preclear_disk_V9G95D3R_25071.txt

@trurl thank you for your answer. Could you be so kind an tell me how to run a memtest? I made several searches but didn't find a solution how to run a memtest.

@itimpi thank you also for your answer. Is it possible to only run a post read instead of performing a complete pre clear? I just want to make sure the disk is fine, so i can investigate where the error is coming from.

10 hours ago, parazit said:

Could you be so kind an tell me how to run a memtest? I made several searches but didn't find a solution how to run a memtest.

It is one of the options on the Unraid boot menu.  Having said that if you boot in UEFI mode then y/u need to download a UEFI compatible version from the memtert86 site.

10 hours ago, parazit said:

Is it possible to only run a post read instead of performing a complete pre clear? I just want to make sure the disk is fine, so i can investigate where the error is coming fro

It is a long time since I ran a pre-clear :( I think that you are forced to run the write phase but have options to skip the pre-read and/or post-read.

I will run another long smart to see the result.

All SATA-Ports are occupied but i can disconnect one of the data drives, run the tests on the new HDD and reconnect the drive again.

That should normally work right?

EDIT: Just connected the HDD directly and ran the extended SMART test. Unfortunately the test failed. I am going to RMA the disk. Thank you everybody who tried to help me in this case :)

Edited by parazit
  • parazit changed the title to [SOLVED] New WD Red HDD > blk_update_request: critical medium error