Move Windows 10 VM to cache drive

• 1 month later...

Which is better?

Ghost82 says to move the disks to cache and change the VM file paths to there. I did this originally and thought that the Windows 10 vm was pretty quick.

I then changed this to what doenstaffect suggested, although keeping files in iso, domains and system folder and setting shares to Prefer.

After this, I thought that startup and shutdown was slower.

Does setting the path to /mnt/user/(etc) and the share setting to Prefer, cause a delay, because the mechanical disk spins up regardless when you go that resource?

I wouldn't have thought so, but its worth asking.

Additionally, should my virtual drives be set to SCSI to take advantage of automatic shrinking of the vm disk when files are deleted and trim is run?

14 minutes ago, Geck0 said:

Additionally, should my virtual drives be set to SCSI to take advantage of automatic shrinking of the vm disk when files are deleted and trim is run?

Yes, but easier way is https://forums.unraid.net/topic/51703-vm-faq/#comment-557606

If all the files within any given share only exist on the cache drive, then there is no difference speed wise between /mnt/user/... and /mnt/cache/... (the system is smart enough to bypass fuse in that circumstance)