(SOLVED) Stuck in Unraid 6.6.5, can't update, can't install plugins : "network error"

RNO

Hello every one.

I don't come often, only when in needs ... sorry.

I updated my unraid until 6.6.5 then didn't stay up to date, because I didn't need to.

Lately, I wanted to start using more than just NFS and SMB, activate Docker, install DLNA server and more.

But I found that I can't update anymore.

The "update OS" function doesn't show any version to install.

If I try to install it manually, using this URL https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/stable/unRAIDServer.plg

I get an error

plugin: installing: https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/stable/unRAIDServer.plg
plugin: downloading https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/stable/unRAIDServer.plg
plugin: downloading: https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/stable/unRAIDServer.plg ... failed (Network failure)
plugin: wget: https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/stable/unRAIDServer.plg download failure (Network failure)

I am using this server every day so I don't think the network configuration is to blame.

I used the diagnostic tool to get enough information for you guys to help me, if you are willing to.

What more can I say... I tried to use Plex some years ago and the way it was converting the files didn't suit my needs so I deactivated it.

Maybe I broke something along the way ?

any thank you for anyone willing to help me.

media-diagnostics-20211118-1717.zip

Edited by RNO

Easiest way is to do the upgrade manually by doing the following:

• Shutdown the UnRaid server and take out the USB drive and plug it into your PC/Mac
  • Backup the contents of the current flash drive to your PC/Mac so you have the ability to revert if necessary
  • download the zip file for the release that you want to use from the Limetech site
  • extract all the bz* type files overwriting the ones on the flash
  • put the flash drive back into the Unraid server and boot it

You should now find you are running the latest release

ideally you should read the release notes for the interim releases but in practice you may well get away with not bothering.

if you encounter any problems ask questions in the forum.

Your configuration is in the config folder on flash. The OS archives (the bz* files) are in the root folder on flash.

Any installed plugins you have are part of your config and are probably badly out-of-date. Might be best to uninstall them before upgrading.

After upgrade install CA (Community Applications) plugin then install plugins or dockers from the Apps page in the webUI.

https://unraid.net/community/apps

Story:

Decided to futz with my unRaid hardware for the first time in probably 3yrs. Something gets caught, USB gets bent, drive no longer recognized. I have no idea where I saved my most recent USB backup, but it wouldn't be up-to-date anyway. However I do find one of my first backups in Google Drive. I haven't changed hardware since the original build, so I decided to give it a shot. Burn it to a USB with the unRaid Tool [which is AMAZINGLY simple, shout out to the devs], and boot. Go to register the new key but it won't take. OS too old was my thought, better upgrade. Couldn't access the upgrade server, which is when I started to worry.

Problem:

Exact some symptoms as you. Network failure errors. I realized it wasn't AWS issue after clicking the Apps tab and getting some error about not being connected to the internet. Which was odd because I was connecting to unRaid via a browser.

Solution:

Turn off manual IPv4 address assignment. An earlier Si1 video, which I follow to the letter, changed address management from automatic to manual. Even though I rebooted my router, I thought there might be an unresolved address conflict in the router DHCP table.

Setttings Tab ⇨ IPv4 address assignment ⇨ Automatic

Didn't even have to reboot. Everything came back to life, even though my router didn't assign unRaid a new IP. Why it worked I may never know, but I hope your solution is just as simple.

Before unplugging the thumb drive and doing the upgrade manually, I tried PositronicP solution, as I had set a static IP address for obvious reason.

And it worked.

I switched to automatic, and magically the OS update AND the plugin install features came back.

I could update to 6.9.2 and install CA.

Thank you guys for your fast answers and helping hands.

------

Now I want to turn to Docker and install useful apps and plugins on the Unraid server so everyone at home will find it very useful.

To start with a simple objective, I would like to have media services usable by ma family through their Android ans IOS phones and tablet.

This NAS is used as a file server, SMB and NFS shares.

We store all of our videos, photos and music, plus our important files.

I synchronize manually.

Could you point me to the "correct way" to use Docker, aka understanding the settings and bests practices ?

Would my spare USB key be of any interest in this process ?

I have an Unraid pro licence installed on :

a 24 bay unit with 22 drives, comprising 1 parity drive.

I have no cache drive.

I have no app settings/experience as I don't use any.

Although my unit has 24 bays, Unraid pro seems to be able, lastly, to handle 30 drives with 2 parity among them.

I didn't see the obvious necessity of a second parity drive, as I can react pretty quickly if a drive dies and have never experience two at the same time.

But I can see a cache drive being installed as the write speed is lowed down by the parity process and struggle to reach 40MB/s when writing big files.

But I am not sure I understood everything I need to know about cache drive before setting one in my server.

my hardware is :

Motherboard SuperMicro X10SLM-F  (4 SATA 6.0Gbs + 2 SATA 3.0Gbs)

3x Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

Core™ i3-4130T CPU @ 2.90GHz

16 GB RAM (upgradable to 32GB)

LAN speed is 1Gb/s

• RNO changed the title to (SOLVED) Stuck in Unraid 6.6.5, can't update, can't install plugins : "network error"