Help me troubleshoot why my drives arent going to sleep anymore.

tyanu

Hi folks,

I am here today because i need troubleshooting an issue with my Unraid system.

I recently switched my system from an old tower that was made from scraps and was quite inefficient to this setup : NUC + docking for drives

After transfering everything, it worked fine for a while. When the system was not in use, the drives where spinning down and the LEDs on the docking where turning off. Those LEDs have 3 states, Solid blue is powered on, blinking blue is in use (read or write) and off is not powered.

2 weeks ago, i tried to setup nextcloud as well as modyfying stuff on the shares becuase they were not using the cache SSD and it was making transfers quite slow.

Since then, the drives arent going to sleep (aka unpowered, with the LED off). The LEDs on the docking stays at a solid blue when the array is spun up, and the LEDs are blinking when the array is spun down. Which seems really weird to me.

I tried to reapply a backup i had from some time ago. After finishing rebuilding parity, the docking put the drive to sleep like it was doing initally. Sweet ! Except that after a reboot it never did it again.

I can't remember what i changed, but something is fucked up and i can't seem to fix it myself.

Any help would be great and i can provide more info if needed.

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

It's nextcloud that's keeping the drives spinning.  Known "design issue" with it where it continually scans the share(s) you set and winds up keeping them up.

Excuse me but i've put a backup that was made BEFORE installing nextcloud. And it's still doing this.

5 minutes ago, Squid said:

If doesn't matter.  Nextcloud runs in the docker image and has nothing to do with the restoration of the USB.  If it's running, you will see this behaviour

running, then you need to verify your sleep settings on the drives etc

Either i don't understand your answer or you don't, but here is what my docker currently looks like.
image.thumb.png.dcbf44f36322a17e770b3babd671b5db.png

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

Your appdata and system shares have files on both cache and disk1. In addition to specific containers keeping their appdata open, the docker service will keep docker.img on system share open if Docker is enabled in Settings.

Ok, how can i move those back to the cache drive ? I've put both of those shares as "only : cache" so i thought everything would be put on the SSD ...

Probably those got created by having docker/VMs enabled without a cache drive installed.

Mover ignores cache-only and cache-no shares. You would have to set them to cache-prefer to get them moved from array to cache.

But, nothing can move open files, so you would have to go to Settings and disable Docker and VM Manager.

And mover won't move duplicates.

Really simpler to leave mover out of it for getting these off the array. Do you know how to work with the disks and files directly on the server?

19 minutes ago, trurl said:

Probably those got created by having docker/VMs enabled without a cache drive installed.

Mover ignores cache-only and cache-no shares. You would have to set them to cache-prefer to get them moved from array to cache.

But, nothing can move open files, so you would have to go to Settings and disable Docker and VM Manager.

And mover won't move duplicates.

Really simpler to leave mover out of it for getting these off the array. Do you know how to work with the disks and files directly on the server?

I don't trust the mover much because i never know what it's doing.

i work in IT, so if i have to do some terminal commands, i think i can manage

30 minutes ago, tyanu said:

moving the files from the shares

That is why I asked if you could work directly with the disks on the server. Shares on the network don't show duplicates and can't access them.

See if you can figure out Midnight Commander (mc at the command line), that is how I usually work directly with the disks on the server.

20 minutes ago, trurl said:

Did you disable Docker and VM Manager before trying to work with these files?

Yes. Both were off. So far, it looks like my plex is out of order. I'll reinstall it.

EDIT : reinstalling plex worked.

Edited by tyanu
16 minutes ago, trurl said:

No reason to think it would.

Your hardware configuration may be to blame. USB is not recommended for array or pools for many reasons.

What i dont get is that it worked as expected for a while, then it stopped working as intended.

If that wasnt working from the beginning, i'd be ok with it.

Ok, so i fixed it, kinda.

I found a backup from march, and when reinstalling this one, i was able to setup the array/cache without having that "disk1,cache" thing on some shares.

It's either disk1 or cache. And now drives are going to sleep approprietly, which makes the whole thing much quieter when not used.