New Unraid Becoming Unresponsive and Inaccessible

Quickly, thank you RobJ for your very useful "Need Help? Read me first!" post. I started there and am posting this after reading those instructions.

I'm new to unRAID, but I love what I've seen so far and am determined to stick it out to get over this hump. My new server build has been going great thus far. I was in the data migration stage of moving files to it when I started experiencing complete system freezes.

• WebUI inaccessible
  • Cannot ping the server
  • Shares are unavailable (obviously)
  • Monitor output is blank (mouse wiggle/keyboard touch doesn't wake it)

I believe this bit is unrelated but figured I should share just in case: Last night, after another freeze, a reboot left me with a server I could ping but with an inaccessible WebUI: neither through the network nor on the KVM. Logging into the GUI (on KVM) just yielded a "page cannot be found" though it was localhost. Booting into safe mode did work, so I did some reading and emptied my plugins folder. Now I'm booted successfully without safe mode (I have only re-installed CA & System Info for the image attached).

I have attached the diagnostic zip, but I fear it won't contain the necessary data since this is post-reboot. Once the system has frozen, gathering diagnostics is not possible.

Now I am ready to listen to the experts and gather whatever other data I can. Many thanks.

system info.png

kingkong-diagnostics-20211209-0906.zip

Edited by Jonny Redd

Thanks, JorgeB. Oh, yuck. :) I will try the safe mode reboot for a while and see what happens.

In your experience, is there a likely culprit if a freeze like this is hardware-related? I built this unRAID server using the guts of a PC that I had used daily for years, so I didn't suspect the hardware. I did purchase a brand new motherboard for expandability, but the CPU & RAM have been in service and reliable. None of this is to say my hardware is beyond reproach, of course.

You really got me thinking, JorgeB. Since the mobo is the only real "new" equipment in the equation, I went looking for the latest BIOS on ASUS' site. 

image.thumb.png.e4378ab659c721263f6c1c9528119f04.png

It has that crypic, "Improve system stability" in the description. In my experience working in software development, that's often code for, "something was breaking regularly, we don't want to say what, but we did try to fix it." :)

I've updated the BIOS as a first step and I'll report back if that improves things or if there needs to be a next step. Fingers crossed.

Incidentally, having this support forum as a sounding board has been wonderful. I often mull these things over in silence, but collaborating with some other people with more experience has been great thus far.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, potjoe said:

Hi @Jonny Redd, have you been able to troubleshoot your issue ? I'm encountering a  similar behaviour, meaning some random lock of the server with nothing useful in the syslog 

Hi, @potjoe. I stopped posting updates because I seemed to just be talking to myself.  I ordered (and have sitting on my workbench) brand new mobo, CPU, & RAM to rebuild the untrustable hardware. And while on order, I continued to do some tweaking. I ruled out both sticks of RAM which kind of left the mobo. Therefore I started doing some tweaking in the BIOS in an effort to improve stability while I waited for those ordered parts.

The surprising story is that I have now been stable for nearly two weeks after the BIOS tweaks I made. I wish I could say which setting was "the one," but in essence I went through and turned off any of the "auto" settings as they related to clock speed for either the CPU or RAM. I had a boot error one time related to "overclocking settings failed" or similar which led me down this path.

I don't know that I'd consider this the final solution, so I have not yet returned those parts I ordered, but knock on wood: it's been rock solid now for much, much longer than it ever was before.

• Like 1