We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

previously working portable drive started showing up as "array" in Unassigned Devices

if I'm not posting in the correct section, please let me know. thanks.

ever since updating Unassigned Devices a week ago, one of my previously working portable drive started showing up as "array" in UD, instead of "mount/unmount". my go around is to stop the array and re-start again, or reboot, then UD will correctly allow me to "mount/unmount" it, but then, once I unplugged that drive, do my thing with it, replug it back in, it's back to "array" in UD once more, requiring the go-around again.

it's not a critical issue as there are go-arounds, but if someone knows how I can do without restarting my whole array everytime I want to transfer some files, that'd be really neat. Thanks.

A check was recently added to UD to detect this situation.  The issue is the drive has a 'sdo' designation and not a 'Dev X' designation under 'Device'.  Unraid is not detecting the drive as unassigned.  When UD sees this situation, it marks the disk as 'Array' assuming that the disk was an array disk and has been dropped from the array and then assigned a new sdX designation.  It would be unwise to have UD do anything with the disk if it truly was an array disk.  Obviously, the disk is a portable disk and I doubt you'd have that in the array.

Try this:

- Remove the preclear plugin.  It receives udev events and might be interfering.

- Click on the double arrow icon on the UD page.  This will cause udev to rescan the disks and will initiate an Unraid hot plug event.

I also see some disk errors:

Dec 10 11:14:58 unRyzend ntfs-3g[11194]: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Dec 10 11:14:58 unRyzend ntfs-3g[11194]: Failed to read vcn 0x4: Input/output error
Dec 10 11:14:58 unRyzend ntfs-3g[11194]: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Dec 10 11:14:58 unRyzend ntfs-3g[11194]: Failed to read vcn 0x4: Input/output error
Dec 10 11:14:58 unRyzend kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdb1, logical block 109934, async page read

The interesting thing is that the errors are on sdb.  Because they are ntfs errors, I assume it's your USB disk.  If that's the case your USB disk has two device designations - sdb and sdo?  When I look at your smart reports, I don't see a sdb disk.  Did you have the USB drive plugged in when you rebooted last?  Because of the sdb device, I suspect yes.

Is there a chance you rebooted your server and the USB disk auto mounted, then you removed it without unmounting and then reconnected it?

If you are still having issues, unmount the USB disk and reboot.  Then re-install it and see if Unraid assigns a 'Dev X' designation.

If none of that works, move this discussion to the unassigned devices forum and we'll go through some debugging steps.

• Thanks 1
  • JorgeB locked this topic