My Unraid Server Crashes after about 1 month running

BastianBayer

26 minutes ago, BastianBayer said:

so there is no other solution than trying to turn off i915 right ?

Other than downgrading to v6.8 not AFAIK.

27 minutes ago, BastianBayer said:

so it´s strange that it seems to crash when the iGPU is not in use.

Seems common crashing when not in use.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Reva said:

Is uncommenting i915 in the go file still the best "solution"

What version of unRAID are you running? 

If on 6.9.2 you should be using the 'touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf' method rather than modprobe i915 in the go file.

If you are on 6.10.0 -rc2 even the i915.conf file is not needed as the drivers are autoloaded if detected.

Just now, Hoopster said:

What version of unRAID are you running? 

If on 6.9.2 you should be using the 'touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf' method rather than modprobe i915 in the go file.

If you are on 6.10.0 -rc2 even the i915.conf file is not needed as the drivers are autoloaded if detected.

6.10 -rc2. What should i do then? Restore to 6.9.2 and do what you said?

2 minutes ago, Reva said:

6.10 -rc2. What should i do then? Restore to 6.9.2 and do what you said?

I rolled back to 6.9.2 but that alone did not help; still had random lockups. 

I have been 16 days without a crash, which is a long time for my server, after doing the following:

• recreated i915.conf (I had eliminated it when I went to 610.0 rc2)
  • removed the Intel GPU Top and GPU Statistics plugins

I am not saying that is a 'fix' but so far my system remains stable and has done a lot of Plex hardware transcodes.

Of course, since I said this, it will now crash.  😁

3 hours ago, Reva said:

in the terminal -> done?

Yes. Type the touch command from the terminal.  It should create a blank i915.conf file in the config/modprobe.d folder on the flash drive.

You should also comment out or remove anything in the go file related to i915 and then reboot the server.

Edited by Hoopster
Just now, Hoopster said:

Yes. Type the touch command from the terminal.  It should create a blank i915.conf file config/modprobe.d folder on the flash drive.

Got it done! I noticed the plex and jellyfin containers didnt start and i get error command when trying to. I removed

--device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri

from the extra parameters in the plex container and it starts but no longer does hardware transcoding. What do i need to do with jellyfin? The "/dev/dri:" field has to be filled in.

So no hardware transcoding until they fix 6.10 -rc2 or am i mistaken?

2 minutes ago, Reva said:
--device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri

I still have this in my Extra Parameters in Plex docker container.  If Plex will not start when it is there, that means the /dev/dri folder is not getting created when the server boots.  If it can't find /dev/dri the docker can't start.

image.png.585af0d6045d34e1ddb6151697f6268e.png

/dev/dri should get created if the iGPU is specified in the BIOS as the Primary Graphics Adapter and the i915.conf file is created.  I had to remove the Intel GPU Top plugin on my system for it to be created correctly.

It says it the directory doesn't exist. iGPU was selected as primary graphics adapter last time i was in bios and hw transcoding worked before this issue started so that shouldn't be the problem. I don't have the intel gpu top plugin installed. The i915.conf file is created. Could it be because i have an 11th gen intel cpu (11500k)? The whole reason i moved to 6.10 -rc2 was to get hardware transcoding to work.

8 minutes ago, Reva said:

It seems then that i have no other option than to wait for 6.10 to be fixed?

I don't know what fix can be done from the unRAID perspective.  The issues with the i915 drivers have only appeared in unRAID 6.9x and 6.10.x with 5.x versions of the Linux kernel.  Some have rolled back to 6.8.3 where there are no issues with the 4.19.x kernel.  The issue appears to be somewhere in either the Linux kernel or i915 itself which are out of the control of unRAID devs.  There is a bug report on this in case they can find a workaround.

UnRAID 6.10.x auto loads the i915 driver if it detects the hardware supports it. 

Oh i see. I may have another go at 6.10 -rc2 in a few days then to give it another shot and see if the bug persists, assuming it doesn't show up on 6.9.2 as well. Could you send a link to the bug report so that i can check in if there are any developments?