PSA on SanDisk USBs

Interesting information.  Thank you for this.

Counterfeiters are not designing and making their own chips, they buy existing designed memory and controller chips off the shelf.  They then assemble them on a circuit board and throw that into a case (which resembles the flash drive they wish to pass as).  The memory chips are likely to be lower bin from China.  I originally felt this was the weak point, but the deeper into this rabbit hole I get, I am more convinced it is the controller chips which have given us all problems.  Be it that the controller is an older design, perhaps less capable, or just not programmed with the correct "special sauce" which makes them work more reliably, it is likely the point of failure.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ChatNoir said:

Just to be clear, the initial topic was the lack of GUID on some flashdrive (or ones that are not actually unique).

The first post of the topic links a bunch of the "best" flash drives to purchase which is based on the 3+ year old test which doesn't even mention any widespread cases related to proliferation of fakes.

It performs a bunch of durability tests that don't have any relevance as applied to the specific Unraid environment.

It also doesn't spell out differences between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 as related to thermal properties either.

It's very likely that Spaceinvader wasn't even aware of those factors at the time of making the video.

With all do respect, a good back up strategy is a must but I wouldn't call it a good advise to "not worry too much".

The quite frequently posted reports of failed boot devises on this board and also everywhere else speak volumes about the importance of choosing a long lasting drive.

With users reporting a failed USB while not having, displacing or forgetting to maintain a proper configuration backup.

Which is real common since USB drive backups are often treated as an afterthought.

It would only be wise, based on all available info at the moment, to make at least a minimum effort in selecting the potentially longer lasting device.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, John_ said:

The USB drive I bought from Micro Center (their brand) was blacklisted.

Then I bought a SanDisk Ultra Flair from Micro Center and I was able to register using that drive.

Sounds like another case of a shady product, likely originating from the same pool of cheaply made circuitry as the rest of fakes.

Only this time sold and branded by a popular computer hardware outlet!

Apparently Micro Center's purchasing managers couldn't be bothered (or woudn't care) with conducting any research as related to the product's origin and quality and have made their sourcing decision based purely on price.

And why wouldn't they?

Since USB drives are commonly treated as throw-away devices.

Edited by Lolight
  • 4 months later...

Sorry im confused..

i just bought the sandisk because it was mentioned as one of the best (yes a bit Old post)

i was not able to create the usb drive directly with the app. However the manual process seems to have worked. And currently running on the trails version. So should I be ok? Or can I still have issues when I try to activate it?

My two cents (FWIW), I used to be loyal to the Sandisk brand. From SD cards for photography, right up to SSD.

Since becoming an unRaid user, I've burnt through at least 2 Sandisk USB sticks, one was a Sandisk Cruzer and I forget the other. As a side note, I've also burnt through a Sandisk SSD, acting as a cache drive in less than 6 months. I just don't think Sandisk has the same credibility it used to have.

I've burnt through one Samsung key, which looks identical to the Samsung FIT and probably is one. An identical one is currently running my unRaid and has been great for the last couple of years. I own at least three Samsung portable SSD, T5 and T7 with no reliability issues, again as a side note.

I'm pretty trustworthy of the Samsung product range, if not the company, because of their poor customer service.