Boxee Box - $179.99 + shipping

Rajahal

"10/100 Fast Ethernet Port"

Does this thing really not have a Gbit port???  If not, good luck streaming BD rips.

John

No, it doesn't have a GigE port.  10/100 and 2.4GHz Wireless N only.

On the other hand, what makes you think it wouldn't be able to stream BD rips?  A BD has a max bitrate of about 32Mb/s (though this varies by disc).  100Mb/s Ethernet is plenty to stream a BD rip.  I have a Boxee Box and do it daily with full 7-ch HD audio and have never had a throughput problem from my unRAID box.

"10/100 Fast Ethernet Port"

Does this thing really not have a Gbit port???  If not, good luck streaming BD rips.

John

100mbit is fine for streaming any BDrips. Remember too that the video is compressed and isnt decompressed until it gets to the box doing the decoding. I agree everything nowadays might as well have a Gbit port but because it doesnt isn't limiting current video streaming in any way.

• 2 weeks later...

Refurb Apple TV 2 for $85 bucks shipped ($99 shipped new) - http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/apple_tv?mco=MTkyMjgwMzQ

IMO this kills the boxee box in terms of bang for the buck. Jailbraking and loading XBMC on it takes 10 minutes and you've got full blown XBMC running on there drawing almost zero power...the internals are basically an iPad. 2.4/5GHz N wireless, HDMI, 10/100 ethernet and optical audio out.

I got one and I love it. Only downside is 1080p can be a little sketchy but if they release a new one this fall with the iPad 2 chip in it 1080p will be a breeze. And at only $99 brand new I can afford to just put the old one in the guest bedroom and get the new one.

I'm waiting till my top of the line (at the time) Sony dies that is now 11.5 years old.

Then I'll drop $2k+ on a high end television.

In the meantime, the lack of a s-video or composite output (component already in use on the television) kills the boxee for me.

Archived