Read errors .. where do i go from here?

Woke up to an email from my server saying 23 read errors on 1 disc.

Event: Unraid array errors
Subject: Warning [UNDERP] - array has errors
Description: Array has 1 disk with read errors
Importance: warning

Disk 4 - WDC_WD60EZRZ-00GZ5B1_WD-WXN1H26LW7ET (sdg) (errors 23)

KmFOCbH.png

Didn't have time to take a look until now. I'm in the middle of an extended test on the drive but I've attached the diagnostics.

Funny.. I was just thinking the other day that I should replace all discs before something goes wrong. My server has been running without problems for longer than I usually like to run spinning discs (most discs have been spinning for 5.5 years-ish). I feel like buying all new discs (including cache SSD) and copying everything over... but money is tight and I'm not even sure how to go about doing that, lol. Sucks not knowing which, if any, files may be corrupt on the disc with errors. :/

underp-diagnostics-20220306-1403.zip

Edited by superderpbro

Well, i had planned to down size. I have 5 6TBs (1 parity) and only 2.8TB of data on the server now. I stopped hording. 

Plus i I feel like my drives are so old I'll kill one during the rebuild lol

Could I somehow take it out of the array? Take what data I can off it, put the data into the correct shares (of the other drives), and never add it back? I don't need it. lol

drqLpnp.png

Edited by superderpbro

I never spin down and i am 60% into an extended test.

I was in there 3 days ago. Upgrading the RAM. Maybe i bumped a cable? IF that is it.. odd that it took days to error tho .. one can hope! hehe

Also.. its Disk4.. or 5 if you count parity?

Edited by superderpbro
1 minute ago, superderpbro said:

odd that it took days to error

Maybe it was days before the disk was accessed.

SMART attributes for disk4 also look OK. Run an extended SMART test on that one too.

I see you have Most Free allocation for many of your shares, that's actually less efficient than the default highwater allocation.

4 minutes ago, superderpbro said:

Disk4 is the one im running the test on. :)

Too late to change now (Highwater)? Is it a big difference?

You should run it on disk1 too since it was also reporting errors.

Most Free allocation makes Unraid switch disks just because one disk temporarily has more free than another. Could require waiting for another drive to spin up. If lots of writing is happening, it could also get multiple data disks involved competing for parity updates at the same time.

Since you're using Turbo Write it probably doesn't matter much.

Errors are logged as a disk issue, but since the SMART test passed it's OK for now, keep monitoring, especially this attribute:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAGS    VALUE WORST THRESH FAIL RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     POSR-K   200   200   051    -    2

If it keeps climbing you'll likely get more read errors, in that case replace the disk.

Thanks. Can unspecified read errors cause corruption? I've tested every file, that had a checksum or torrent to recheck, that MC says is on disc4. They are all ok. I checksum a lot of stuff, but not everything. :(

I don't really trust using this server with a questionable disc anymore. How do i just remove it permanently? I dont need the space. Keeping the data of course, heh.

Edited by superderpbro