accidentally set disk1 to parity2

Hello everyone,

I wanted to remove empty disk from the array tu use them on an other server.

I deleted the conf using the tool new config

I accidentally set disk1 to parity 2 slot and I launched the array.

OMG !! I canceled immediately parity rebuild.

So, my disk 1 is not mountable anymore.

Is there something I can do?

Do you think I can recover my datas back?

Thanks

I would say that it ran maybe 5s.. and yes, all my disk are xfs.

root@Tower:~# sudo fdisk /dev/sde

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.36).
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
Be careful before using the write command.

The device contains 'xfs' signature and it will be removed by a write command. See fdisk(8) man page and --wipe option for more details.

Device does not contain a recognized partition table.
The size of this disk is 3.6 TiB (4000787030016 bytes). DOS partition table format cannot be used on drives for volumes larger than 2199023255040 bytes for 512-byte sectors. Use GUID partition table format (GPT).

Created a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier 0x462f1a04.

Command (m for help): 

Edited by neuk34

It should be possible to make Unraid think that disk1 has failed and make it rebuild disk1 from the combination of parity1 plus the other disks.   Do you think parity1 and all the other drives are OK?   Do you have any spare drives that could be used in place of disk1 so we can keep it unchanged at this point?

I would suggest you post your current diagnostics so we can check things out before giving further advice.

HINT:   When using the New Config tool if you always start by using the option to preserve all current assignments and then make changes from that position it is harder to have an accident of the type you described.

I think that all my drives are OK (Disk1 has not been formatted so my datas should be still there, even if partition has been struggled). Concerning parity drive,I've just ran sync for 5s. But maybe it's enough to make it incompatible ?

I tried to set my parity and a spare drive to launch a rebuild but, as I said, the config has been deleted so :

"All existing data on this device (parity) will be OVERWRITTEN when array is Started"

So, I stoppped here.

Is there any way to force him to think that parity drive is  still valid?

tower-diagnostics-20220317-1451.zip

Edited by neuk34
43 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

If it doesn't work you can still try to rebuild it, so don't do anything that could invalidate parity.

I can't rebuilt it because UNRAID see parity drive as new and wants to overwrite it. I don't know if it possible to force Unraid to trust the existing parity drive ?

At this point it is almost certain that the start of disk1  is damaged beyond being repaired by xfs_repair.

I think you can do the following:

• Use New Config and select the option to keep all assignments
  • Return to the Main tab and check they are correct (including disk1)
  • Check the Parity is valid checkbox
  • Start the array in MAINTENANCE mode to commit the assignments.  Since you are running in Maintenance mode nothing will be written to any drive.
  • Stop the array and unassign disk1
  • Start the array in normal mode and it should now be emulating what it thinks should be on disk1.  Ideally it should be mountable and its contents available.  If not do not proceed and check back here and provide your diagnostics
  • Stop the array
  • Reassign disk1 (and Unraid should now be offering the option to rebuild it).
  • Start the array to rebuild physical disk1 to match the emulated disk1

You can also wait to see if @JorgeB has any other suggestion as the best authority on recovering from disk failures :) 

sde, which you were apparently trying to work with at the command line (incorrectly) is unassigned. Was that the missing disk3? It is a WD Red disk with Raw_Read_Error_Rate 904 and no extended SMART test ran recently.

You should add attributes 1 and 200 to be monitored on WD disks.

On 3/17/2022 at 2:15 PM, neuk34 said:

What do you mean about add attributes 1 and 200?

Click on the disk to get to its settings and you can specify which SMART attributes to monitor, including adding custom attributes.

You should run an extended SMART test on that disk from that same page. Note that I am referring to the actual physical disk that I assume was formerly assigned as disk3, sde in your most recent diagnostics.

As for emulated and unmountable disk3

You can check the filesystem on the emulated disk3 by clicking on disk3 to get to its page. Be sure to capture the output so you can post it.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Drive_shows_as_unmountable