Update from Unraid 5.0.6 doesn't work

I'm trying to update an Unraid server which hasn't had maintenance in a very long time, still running Unraid 5.0.6. I've followed the instructions on the website and forum, installed the unRAIDServer.plg plugin but it gives an error when I try to run it.

First it gives 2 403 errors and then it tries to download version 6.5.3 which results in a download error 0.

I attached a screenshot, what can I do to resolve this?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_5849(1).JPG

I don't know quite where to tell you to start.  It has been seven years now since version 6 first appeared.  You can read this thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/37354-upgrading-unraid-from-version-5-to-version-6/

Unfortunately, I don't even remember the details in the first post and I wrote it! 

First thing to do is to make a complete backup of the contents of the present boot drive.  (You may never need it--- unless you don't do this first!   😈  )

Basically, I would recommend that you need to get a printout of the disk assignments for the present setup, Make note of the server name and the IP address of the server if you are using a static IP address.  Make sure that you have a copy of your .key license file.  (It may be in the root of the boot drive or in the /config folder as I can't remember which was used for version 5.)

Begin by formatting your Unraid boot drive and installing the latest version of Unraid onto it.  Copy the .key file to the /config folder/directory.  Boot the system and assign the drives using that printout.  Setup the reminder of the settings. 

Use Dockers rather than Plugins when possible!

Then ask if you have issues...

30 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

I don't know quite where to tell you to start.  It has been seven years now since version 6 first appeared.  You can read this thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/37354-upgrading-unraid-from-version-5-to-version-6/

Unfortunately, I don't even remember the details in the first post and I wrote it! 

First thing to do is to make a complete backup of the contents of the present boot drive.  (You may never need it--- unless you don't do this first!   😈  )

Basically, I would recommend that you need to get a printout of the disk assignments for the present setup, Make note of the server name and the IP address of the server if you are using a static IP address.  Make sure that you have a copy of your .key license file.  (It may be in the root of the boot drive or in the /config folder as I can't remember which was used for version 5.)

Begin by formatting your Unraid boot drive and installing the latest version of Unraid onto it.  Copy the .key file to the /config folder/directory.  Boot the system and assign the drives using that printout.  Setup the reminder of the settings. 

Use Dockers rather than Plugins when possible!

Then ask if you have issues...

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to do it like you described. Can i copy the contents (without the plugins) of the Config folder back? The people that use this server are total noobs so if anything changes it's going be a disaster ;)

Edited by stefetta

I am hesitant about making a recommendation for doing this.  At one time, there was a WIKI where more complete instructions on how to do this were listed but that WIKI is now gone.  You can only copy over certain of the files and folders from the present version 5 into version 6.   IF you have a lot of setting in version, do printouts of those settings sheets so you can just copy those settings into their corresponding setting pages in version6.  I should have mentioned that in the first post, waste a few sheets of paper and make printouts of anything you think you might have a remote need of. 

I will ping @RobJ and see if he has any recommendations as he basically wrote the WIKI...

Edited by Frank1940
26 minutes ago, stefetta said:

Can i copy the contents (without the plugins) of the Config folder back? The people that use this server are total noobs so if anything changes it's going be a disaster

None of the plugins that worked with v5 will work with v6 (although there may be more up-to-date versions that will) as v6 is 64-bit while v5 was 32-bit.  you should therefore not copy the plugins folder from your v5 system.   Also if there is an ‘extras’ folder on the flash drive you should remove it as its contents will not be compatible with v6.

Your disk assignments and shares should transfer painlessly, so basic NAS functionality should be fine.  

The v6 GUI is significantly different to the v5 one (and much more functional) so there may be a learning curve there.

Thank you all for your help! First of all my own server is running on 6.9.2 so using version 5 is the learning curve... not upgrading ;)

I think I have all the information I need to do the upgrade so I feel a lot more confident. 

But I do have another question. The server has an array of 5 4TB drives, 4 data drives and 1 parity. Disk 1 is disabled and needs to be replaced, I was going to do that after the upgrade but since it's quite a big upgrade I'm going to play it safe and replace drive 1 first. Disk 1 and 2 are used, 3 and 4 are empty. I was thinking of removing Disk 4 and use it to replace disk 1, however I read that after removing Disk 4 the parity needs to be rebuild which in my mind is tricky or impossible with a broken Disk 1. 

Can I use 1 of the empty disks of the array to replace number 1? Or do I need to tell them to buy a new one?

Edited by stefetta

Just because there aren't any files on disks 3 and 4 does mean that they are empty.  First thing is that they have the file system on them and that is usable data. Second thing when a file is moved or deleted, only the file points are changed.  The ones-and-zeros are still there.  All of this 'information' is a part of parity.  So you will have to get a new disk to replace disk 1 IF it is truly bad.  You need to post up the smart report on that disk and the syslog for that server. 

I will throw one thing out there for comment.  To see if disk 1 is bad, try the following:

Stop the array

Unassign disk1

Start the array.  It will indicate that disk 1 is missing and being emulated.

Stop the array

Reassign the disk as disk 1

Start the array and it should start to rebuilt disk1.

If it rebuilds successfully, the disk was not the reason for it being disabled.

@stefetta, wait until you hear from some of the others about the advisability of trying this before starting. 

Edited by Frank1940

Thanks Frank! I was doing some brainstorming and came up with this. 

I can copy all of the (emulated) data of Disk 1 to Disk 3 just to be safe. Then I can try the procedure to see if Disk 1 really is bad. If it is bad I can reconfigure the whole array but without the bad disk. Or isn't that going to work?