shim-br0 - MAC address changed after reboot

I've recently installed a Ubiquiti network at home and im identifying every device on my network. My home assistant server is getting hit daily with brute force attempts so im keeping a close eye on my network clients. I plan to deal with this issue in a few weeks after the network build is finished, i still have some more cables to run. Everything on my network is identified on my USG-Pro4 except after a server reboot yesterday my Unraid server's shim-br0 MAC address changed.

Is this standard for this MAC address to change on reboot (asking because i did add some more hardware to the server in the form of another HDD & a 3rd GPU so my VFIO moved about after the hardware installs, not sure if that could have triggered a change)

If the shim-br0 MAC address changing is normal after a server reboot is there any way to make that MAC static so i can easily identify it on the network without doing an "ifconfig" on the server to try hunt down the network after every reboot.

• 2 weeks later...

The shim-br0 interface is derived from the main br0 interface and has the same MAC address as the interface br0.

This interface is created when the setting "Host access to custom network" is enabled and is used to circumvent the default protection of Docker.

If you don't have containers which need access to the host, you can disable the setting (default).

1 hour ago, bonienl said:

The shim-br0 interface is derived from the main br0 interface and has the same MAC address as the interface br0.

This interface is created when the setting "Host access to custom network" is enabled and is used to circumvent the default protection of Docker.

If you don't have containers which need access to the host, you can disable the setting (default).

Cool, I'll give disabling it a go and see how I fair out 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Ahmad said:

is there a way to make the address fixed for the br0 network?

I keep getting a bunch of random mac addresses in my Unifi UDMP and I'd rather label them accurately.

I also have an issue with my Unifi Controller flagging multiple devices are using the same IP because the shim is using the same IP as my Unraid server IP. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
8 minutes ago, John Savage said:

Experiencing the same issue here. I'm facing an issue where my wireguard server (plugin) is not working, and I guess that the "two devices with the same IP" may be the cause. If anyone finds a solution, please share.

Are you using the VPN manager in settings? I thought the wireguard plugin got depreciated a long time ago. I'm running WG without issues. If you are using the sam check your config against mine. Also assuming you've done your port forwarding on your router as well? 

Screenshot_20240302-191319.png

@AceRimmer thank you for your attention already. I've restarted the router and now the shim-br0 mac address is not showing up in the router's topology screen - which seems like a good thing, I guess.

Are you using the VPN manager in settings? I thought the wireguard plugin got depreciated a long time ago.

Indeed I am. Sorry for the confusion.

I have docker containers and VMs I want to access remotely. I'm considering using a wg server in a RPi instead - even though I wouldn't like to maintain a second device.

wg-vpn-manager.thumb.png.4354a944809fcce9f1c74cb86215a30c.pngrouter.png.ee27097195364b4e965530ff95a990b5.png