Updating from 6.3.5 (with Apologies)

I'm trying to update from 6.3.5 (with apologies) following this thread which advises installing the Fix Common Problem plug in, however I get the error message below: 

plugin: installed unRAID version is too low, require at least version 6.7.0

Can anyone provide direction?  

Edited by muzzel-loader

Do you think I have the correct thread for updating from. 6.3.5?

Are you saying to skip using FCP and try to manually do what it does? Or skip it altogether and go for it and let the chips fall?

Any chance Squid could help me revert to an earlier release of FCP? The Git repository for FCP “show log” has some comments that indicate 6.3.5 era. Is it just package file and the test script or is it more complicated than that?

Edited by muzzel-loader

Depending on how simple or complicated your current install it could be mostly OK to update directly to latest, especially if you use Unraid mainly as a NAS, but some changes might require some config changes, like with VMs for example.

I would also suggest reading the release notes from the major releases, v6.4.0, v6.5.0, v6.6.0, etc, those will have the most important things to consider.

Thank you for your help.

Before updating the OS, I'd like to get a flash device in order following this.

But apparently my server boots and runs without a USB flash device, since there is no USB dongle plugged in.  

When I click the View icon under Main, Boot Device, it shows "Index of /boot" which is the local hard drive - is the possible?

Can I treat what is under /boot as the current flash device?  I.e. copy everything from /boot/config to the same folder on a freshly created USB media using this flash tool (and change BIOS to boot accordingly)?

Unfortunately my old unraid version does not a "Flash backup" button, but I could maybe create boot media by zipping up what is under /boot and using the "from zip" option under the flash tool.  It seems like too big a jump to update OS and go to a USB flash device both at the same time.

Edited by muzzel-loader

Thank both of you! 

I found the USB flash device plugged into a USB port inside the case, on the motherboard.

Diagnostics attached (may not be needed now).

Since my flash drive is in order, I don't need to mess with it.  Moving on to updating the OS...

I don't see a "FLASH BACKUP" button - does the array have to be stopped (sorry I'll try in a minute)?

BTW, my config isn't too crazy, just two VMs and two plug ins.

Can I jump all at once from 6.3.5 to 6.10.2?  

sbwebserver-diagnostics-20220610-1303.zip

19 minutes ago, muzzel-loader said:

"FLASH BACKUP" button

Don't know if there was one on that version. Normally you go to Main - Boot Device, click on Flash to get to its page where the button is.

The main thing you need is a copy of the config folder on flash.

22 minutes ago, muzzel-loader said:

Since my flash drive is in order, I don't need to mess with it

You may need to mess with it just to install a new version, and make a backup. I doubt you can update from the webUI with that old version.

Flash has your configuration (ALL settings from the webUI including drive assignments and license) in the config folder. You can always get your configuration onto a new install by copying that config folder.

You probably don't want to copy the plugins from your config since they will be too out-of-date to work.

Doesn't look like you had docker enabled so I am guessing you don't have any, probably better to start over with them if you did.

You did have VMs enabled. Do you have any?

On 6/7/2022 at 6:22 PM, muzzel-loader said:

update from 6.3.5 (with apologies) following this thread

Have you considered everything in that thread?

Starting sector for SSDs was changed since your version but I don't think you can change that without reformatting, or even if there is a good reason for you to worry about that.

9 minutes ago, muzzel-loader said:

Yes I have two VMs.

What were they used for? There are so many dockers now you may not need any VMs but some people like to run Windows or something just so they won't have to have another computer for that.

You should probably disable VM Manager until you see if everything else is working.

One VM is digital license win10, the other is a licensed Windows web server.

I’d like to preserve both VMs if possible.  Could I back them up and get them off unraid? I made a small effort to back them up but gave up because of the old version I’m at.

Are you saying I need to reformat?

I am grateful for the help.

Edited by muzzel-loader