Keep getting read errors on Parity build with new drives

Hey all,

Building an Unraid server was my first foray into Linux so i apologize if at any point during this i sound confused.

for the most part i have gotten my array set up as a plex server and it runs fine with no parity, no issues or errors.

When i try to build parity, after a few minutes i immediately start getting read errors. I thought it might be because of a bad drive, one had mechanical issues found on it and i replaced it, but i keep getting read errors on parity drives and they become disabled while building parity. Ive swapped out a bunch of drives and at this point only 1 or 2 of the eight drives arent brand new out of the box.

Ive attached my diagnostics zip and any help would be greatly appreciated but i am all out of ideas.

tower-diagnostics-20220620-1309(1).zip

You might start by running a 24 hour memtst which is one of the boot options.

The parity disk and disk 5 have missing smart reports.  This is probably because they are offline...

Since this is a new build and you (apparently) have had a lot of drive issues, I would suggest that you have a good look at the power supply.  Ideally, it should have a single 12V rail with a current capacity of 24amperes.  (16Amperes might work if the drives are the 'green' type.) 

offline = disabled

I am a bit confused.  How much data have you actually put on this server?  (The reason for the question is that you have ~28TB of storage space available across seven disks.  And this is a 'new' server.   Are you actually going to need this much storage in the near future? One disk has 48,000 poweron hours and another has 65,000 hours.   I can understand ( for financial reasons) to want to use these disks but if you don't need the their storage space for a year or two, why put the hours on them...)

Memtest came back fine, i changed the AMD settings in BIOS to be ahci/sata after that i tried to start the server and run the parity build and everything hung up and my disks 1 and 2 gave me "unmountable - wrong file system" and the other one was just stuck on "mounting" these disks have the right file system on them and are brand new no issues until now

20220621_084357.jpg

Wow that turned into a nightmare real quick, the server became unresponsive so i had to reboot, after that i was able to start the array but every read from Disk 2 had an error, boot up showed SMART errors on the drive so i hooked it up to Parted Magic and ran a health test, showed no signs of anything wrong, grabbed a new sata cable because that might be the only thing i hadnt changed out and started the server back up. Now it is building parity but im sure it will error out, i can post new diags but my understanding is after a reboot they are gone? Or is that wrong? Posted them just to be safe

tower-diagnostics-20220621-0941.zip

They shouldve been done a few days ago, otherwise every drive is brand new. I rebooted the server because the parity drive wont even let me select it anymore any my other 8TB shows up as having a smart error, im going to return it, somehow that is 2 drives out of the box that are apparently bad....