Docker Critical Utilization Error

Go to solution Solved by SliMat,

Hi Guys

I logged in to my server today and got some critical docker utilization errors. I was investigating a NextCloud issue, so decided to apply an update and during the update it failed saying there isnt enough space.

The location of my appdata folder is /mnt/users/appdata and as its in the array it shows 5Tb+ of space... so I am not sure why this keeps failing. I have added a 512Gb SSD to the server ready to use as a cache disk - so was wondering whether I should re-locate all my dockers and VMs to this disk as well, or instead of using as a cache disk?

Can anyone help as NextCloud is now offline entirely - I did look for a tut on moving dockers/VMs to an SSD but couldnt see any obvious idiots guides.

Attached is my diagnostics.

Thanks in advance.

dl380p-rack-diagnostics-20220630-1154.zip

It’s not the appdata folder that is the issue - but the docker.img file that is full.   Normally this indicates that you have a docker container writing to a location internal to the image file rather than to a location mapped to be external to the container.

in the short term you should delete your docker.img file and then restore the apps using Apps->Previous Apps.   You then need to investigate why the docker.img file ran out of space in the first place.   While if you have a LOT of containers this could simply mean you need a larger docker.img file that is unlikely the cause of the issue so you want to track it down to stop it reoccurring

Thanks @itimpi

This has been an ongoing issue for a while now, so would be nice to find out why this keeps happening.

I only normally have 5 dockers - binhex-privoxyvpn, mariadb, NginxProxyManager, resilio-sync & Nextcloud.

I did take a quick look in docker->container size and suspect resilio-sync may be the issue;

image.png.94741cf3980604e30f57948e0ea3ff98.png

But not sure what needs to be changed.

Where should the docker.img file be located, so I can delete it? Also if I delete the docker.img is it possible to allocate more space to the new one?

Also when I switch to advanced view in dockers, I see an 'orphaned image' which says it was created a month ago - I suspect that this is from when the same thing happened with Nextcloud a few weeks ago - do I need to do anything with this, or will UnRAID sort it out when I reinstall NextCloud?

image.png.aa6375e21b887bba7d7981874cc4ccbb.png

Many thanks.

Edited by SliMat
typo
4 minutes ago, SliMat said:

resilio-sync may be the issue

24G logs is taking most of your docker.img. I don't use that docker but see if you can figure out why it is logging so much and fix it.

7 minutes ago, SliMat said:

'orphaned image'

delete it

8 minutes ago, SliMat said:

Where should the docker.img file be located, so I can delete it? Also if I delete the docker.img is it possible to allocate more space to the new one?

You don't need any more space than you have already allocated. The 25G you already have should be plenty for what you are doing, usage shouldn't be growing. Making it larger won't fix anything, it will only make it take longer to fill, you need to fix whatever is filling it.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Docker_Management#Re-Create_the_Docker_image_file

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Docker_Management#Re-Installing_Docker_Applications

• Solution

Thanks @itimpi & @trurl

I edited the resilio-sync docker so it cleared the log file... now I know where the issue is, I will post in the relevant support forum to try and find out why this docker is filling up docker.img with log files. The conainter is now back to 5Mb, until Resilio Sync fills it up again 🙂 At least I have some time to sort it out now 👍

EDIT - I logged into the Resilio-Sync GUI and found "debug logging" is enabled by default... so have unchecked this and hopefully thats an end to this issue 🙂

Edited by SliMat