Removing a disc from a share and copy the data to the share the disc originated from?

Hi, I want to remove one of the disks from the share because my rips didn't take as much space as expected. The disc I want to remove from the share (but leave it in the array) has files on it that I want to copy to the original share.

Can I simply uncheck the disc in Share settings without losing the data? And, if so, what's the best way to copy the files to the other shares? Use the Krusader docker? Or is a tool like unbalance better?

Just double checking before I do something stupid! ;-)

Edited by Teejoo
  • Teejoo changed the title to Removing a disc from a share and copy the data to the share the disc originated from?
8 hours ago, Teejoo said:

Can I simply uncheck the disc in Share settings without losing the data?

This just affect new add file do not write to that disk.

8 hours ago, Teejoo said:

And, if so, what's the best way to copy the files to the other shares?

Assume the share name "xxx" and in disk4

cd /mnt/disk4

mv xxx yyy

rsync -ah --stats /mnt/disk4/yyy/ /mnt/user/xxx/ -n

Check if transfer size match and any "Number of deleted files:" show, if all seems normal then remove -n and go

Edited by Vr2Io
9 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

This just affect new add file do not write to that disk.

Thanks for your help. After doing this I still can see the files from that disc in the share. So it really only affects new files as you say? Is there no way to 'update' the share that these files aren't there anymore? That would make more sense to me. Or do I have to make a new share?

Edit: I found this helpful topic that explains it.

9 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

Assume the share name "xxx" and in disk4

cd /mnt/disk4

mv xxx yyy

rsync -ah --stats /mnt/disk4/yyy/ /mnt/user/xxx/ -n

Check if transfer size match and any "Number of deleted files:" show, if all seems normal then remove -n and go

I'm not so into the command lines thing, but I think I understand what you mean. But as far as I can see I can use the Unbalance plugin to do this? I believe the unbalance docker checks size automatically.

Edited by Teejoo
2 hours ago, Teejoo said:

So it really only affects new files as you say?

Yes.

Is there no way to 'update' the share that these files aren't there anymore?

You need move / copy out the file from remove disk to other disks, no matter you use what method.

Or do I have to make a new share?

Case by case, I always recommend create share ( folder ) to copy file instead move file, because this can easy discard the change. Once file complete copy then perform last step to merge directory. 

But as far as I can see I can use the Unbalance plugin to do this? I believe the unbalance docker checks size automatically.

That's fine if you think unbalance more easy to handle the job, btw, any wrong setting in unbalance can cause problem too. I never use unbalance.