Out of trial move to new pc

Go to solution Solved by HomerJ,

Hi unRAID experts!

I started an unRAID trial about 2 months ago and was pretty happy with the product. Before the trial expired my son's computer died, so I let him borrow mine. I've now given him my old PC and yesterday I finished building myself a new one. I've decided to not worry about extending the trial and will just go ahead and buy, but the USB was originally created on the old PC and won't boot on the new one. 

I'd really appreciate it if I can get some help with the move to the new pc. I would really like to be able to continue using the expired USB stick as I would prefer not to have wasted money on it. If I can get it to work then I can buy the first tiered option and then take advantage of the July promo to upgrade. 

Do I just save a copy of a config file on the USB stick and then wipe it and create a new setup and then later transfer over the config? Those is just a bit of a guess based on my searches.

Thanks in advance everyone! 

Edited by HomerJ
1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

In what part of the boot does it stop?

Make sure UEFI boot is enabled, if there's an EFI- folder in the flash drive rename it to EFI and try again.

Thanks for your quick reply!

I see a whole heap of writing on the screen, then it goes blank. This also happens when I try to boot in the GUI mode. 

I have checked the BIOS to confirm that UEFI is enabled. Legacy isn't though, whereas the old PC did have this selected as well. It's 3:30 in the morning here so once I get some sleep I'll put the USB stick into another computer to check the folder as you've suggested. 

After looking into the upgrade deal a bit better, I've decided that is cheaper to go directly to the UNRAID tier that suits me. All the instructions I've read say to buy the licence from within unRAID. World it help if I buy UNRAID via my browser and have the licence emailed to me seeing that I can't boot the system and the fact that my trial licence has already expired by about a week and a half? 

• Solution

UPDATE - SOLVED 

Firstly, thank you again to those who chimed in to help. 

I copied the files on the USB stick and then formatted it. Then I did a new install. Then I copied over the CONFIG folder.

I was still having issues with it not completely loading. The only way I could get it to work, was to enter into the BIOS first. What I've done is set the BIOS so it doesn't start up so fast. 

I've also just bought a licence and this has been entered into the server with no issues. All my drives were placed in the correct positions and all my shares are there. 

Now time to finish the setup and to start working towards realizing unRAID's full potential, so I'm sure you'll see me about over the next few weeks!!

Cheers! 

• Like 1