datruedave transmission plugin to docker (from [Support] Linuxserver.io - Transmission)

OK, the Phaze Transmission plugin that I've been using for years won't work with the latest version of Unraid, so I'm going to try to get the Docker working.  I'm not a linux guy, not a command line guy, and not even really that knowledgeable about torrent tech.   I think I've figure out the mapping, and now my problem is that all of my torrents disappear every time I restart the Docker.

Here's my run line:
root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='transmission' --net='host' --privileged=true -e TZ="America/Chicago" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'TCP_PORT_9091'='9091' -e 'TCP_PORT_51413'='51413' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/appdisk/transmission/config/torrents/':'/watch':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Books/Audiobooks/':'/downloads/Books/Audiobooks':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Books/Comic books/':'/downloads/Books/Comic books':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Books/eBooks/':'/downloads/Books/eBooks':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Movies/':'/downloads/Movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Sounds (music)/':'/downloads/Music':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/TV/':'/downloads/TV':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Videos (Music)/':'/downloads/Videos':'rw' -v '/mnt/appdisk/transmission/downloads/':'/root/Downloads':'rw' -v '/mnt/appdisk/transmission/config/':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/transmission'

dc1d35e8167941bc3377c612ba9755b2e8a6de1b46a94f92f806598463819f80

I want to use the Transmission Remote GUI to manage my torrents, and not use a "watch folder," whatever that is...  I most recently mapped that "/root/Downloads" path because it's in the Remote GUI, and I thought that might be where it stores all of the torrents for it to remember, but that doesn't seem to be it.  Anyone have any hints?

I have split your post into its own topic since it isn't really about that specific docker, but more about how to use dockers, and we need to get a lot more information from you.

I actually used that plugin before docker (years ago), and I currently use the docker you are trying to use.

Attach Diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread, and a screenshot of the plugin page you had for transmission.

12 hours ago, trurl said:

I have split your post into its own topic since it isn't really about that specific docker, but more about how to use dockers, and we need to get a lot more information from you.

I actually used that plugin before docker (years ago), and I currently use the docker you are trying to use.

Attach Diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread, and a screenshot of the plugin page you had for transmission.

Thanks for your help with this.  I've been using the Plex docker for years now, but was never able to get Transmission working. 

Transmission plugin settings.png

serenity-diagnostics-20220802-0821.zip

I see you are mounting appdisk in go.

The usual way to do that now would be as a pool, and before 6.9 it would be with Unassigned Devices. So you certainly haven't kept up with the times.

You even have lines in go for unMenu?? Does any of that still work? You should probably get rid of it before it breaks something.

59 minutes ago, datruedave said:

using the Plex docker for years

What are those lines in go about plex about then?

Why do you have 500G docker.img? 20G is usually more than enough, but I see you are already using 49G of that 500G. Is plex your only docker? Definitely not doing that right if it is. Even if you have others 49G used is excessive. The usual reason for filling docker.img is an application writing to path that isn't mapped.

I know we're not trying to fix plex, but it might be a good idea to fix things more generally before trying to get transmission going. And if I can see how you have plex docker setup it might give us some common ground to work on.

Post your docker run for plex

• Thanks 1

I don't even know what "go" is.  Truthfully, I figure out how to get things running, and then I don't mess with them until/unless they stop working.  I know it's probably frustrating to help people like me, but, again, I appreciate it.  I set up the Plex docker after the Phaze Plex plugin stopped working, so maybe there's some leftover stuff in there from the plugin?

I created that appdisk when I first set up my Unraid server.  It's an SSD and, back in the day, it was recommended as a fast disk outside of the array to host config files and other (relatively) small amounts of data that would benefit from fast access.  It's worked for me, but I understand it's not the preferred method any longer.  I wouldn't mind fixing that.

Here's my docker run for plex:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' -e TZ="America/Chicago" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='latest' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -v '/mnt/user/Books/Audiobooks/':'/media/Audiobooks':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Movies/':'/media/Movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Photos/':'/media/Photos':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Sounds (music)/':'/media/Music':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/TV/':'/media/TV':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Videos (Music)/':'/media/Videos':'rw' -v '':'/movies':'rw' -v '':'/tv':'rw' -v '':'/music':'rw' -v '':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Books/plexmediaserver/config/':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex'

e471c5195c971af47b098350770ade64a281e44a8c2ee0996f50ba5cd86b00a6

The command finished successfully!

1 hour ago, datruedave said:

don't even know what "go" is

go is a script that runs at boot. It is on your flash drive in the config folder. It has many edits that you must have put there yourself. Some of those lines in go refer to things no longer supported, probably don't even exist on your system anymore. These days go normally just has those first 3 lines to start the webUI, and User Scripts plugin can run any other scripts you need to run at boot (and you don't need any if you make appdisk a pool).

1 hour ago, datruedave said:

created that appdisk when I first set up my Unraid server.  It's an SSD and, back in the day, it was recommended as a fast disk outside of the array to host config files and other (relatively) small amounts of data that would benefit from fast access.  It's worked for me, but I understand it's not the preferred method any longer.  I wouldn't mind fixing that.

That was a good strategy, and the basic idea still applies. And with it off the array it doesn't keep array disks spunup since these files are usually open.

If you set it up as a pool, Unraid would manage it for you and you wouldn't have to mount it in go. And the path wouldn't even change if you name the pool 'appdisk'. Then you could use it for other things that need to be off the array, such as your docker.img and your plex config (appdata) which you currently have in a subfolder of your Books share.

I am also using the linuxserver plex.

Your plex mappings are mostly OK, you could have mapped all your user shares as simply /mnt/user to /media and you would be mostly where you are now except your Audiobook mapping doesn't quite follow the pattern, you could have done that separately.  And you should move your plex config to that fast pool as mentioned.

All those empty mappings (/movies, /music, /transcode) could be removed. Since you don't actually have a mapping for transcode, I wonder where it goes? What do you have set in Plex for the transcode directory?

Do you have any other dockers?

All of your array has already been converted to xfs, except cache (pool) is still reiserfs. Doesn't look like cache has much on it at the moment, so you could empty it and reformat as xfs.

And cache is an HDD, not usually done these days, but OK I guess if you don't mind the performance and don't try to use it for those situations where you need a fast pool

Your appdisk is a little small but should be OK as a fast pool as long as you don't use it for caching. Unfortunately, it is ext4, which is not supported for pool or array. Is it used for anything other than transmission currently?

28 minutes ago, trurl said:

go is a script that runs at boot. It is on your flash drive in the config folder. It has many edits that you must have put there yourself. Some of those lines in go refer to things no longer supported, probably don't even exist on your system anymore. These days go normally just has those first 3 lines to start the webUI, and User Scripts plugin can run any other scripts you need to run at boot (and you don't need any if you make appdisk a pool).

That was a good strategy, and the basic idea still applies. And with it off the array it doesn't keep array disks spunup since these files are usually open.

If you set it up as a pool, Unraid would manage it for you and you wouldn't have to mount it in go. And the path wouldn't even change if you name the pool 'appdisk'. Then you could use it for other things that need to be off the array, such as your docker.img and your plex config (appdata) which you currently have in a subfolder of your Books share.

I am also using the linuxserver plex.

Your plex mappings are mostly OK, you could have mapped all your user shares as simply /mnt/user to /media and you would be mostly where you are now except your Audiobook mapping doesn't quite follow the pattern, you could have done that separately.  And you should move your plex config to that fast pool as mentioned.

All those empty mappings (/movies, /music, /transcode) could be removed. Since you don't actually have a mapping for transcode, I wonder where it goes? What do you have set in Plex for the transcode directory?

Do you have any other dockers?

OK, the plex config being on my Books share is weird and something I must have fat fingered in the last day or two (same with those empty mappings?).  It's supposed to be on my appdisk (and a copy still is).  After further review, it appears that my Plex library grew too large for that SSD and I did move the Plex library over to the Books share.  Perhaps I should take this opportunity to upgrade to a larger SSD.  Yes, 1TB SSD gets here tomorrow.

So, what do I need to do to move my appdisk to a pool?  Copy everything off it, change file system/reformat it, and then look for the tutorial here on pools to set that up, I suppose.  After reading a bit, I see that the cache is a pool, and that I can set up this appdisk as a pool.  I'm a bit confused about using the mover to move files from the pool to the array (I get why we want this with cache, but don't understand why I'd want it for my appdisk use), but I do most of my file moving from within Windows, so if (from within Windows), I move files from my new appdisk pool drive to a data drive (user share), that should work fine, right? 

To answer your questions, within Plex, I have the transcode directory set as /mnt/appdisk/plexmediaserver/tmp/plex

I do not have any other dockers (just Plex and Transmission).  Well, I started to try to set up Deluge, but I just deleted it, as I now hope to get Transmission working. 

And my appdisk is only used for Plex (well, it used to be), and Transmission.  Nothing else.

10 minutes ago, datruedave said:

within Plex, I have the transcode directory set as /mnt/appdisk/plexmediaserver/tmp/plex

That looks like a host path, and plex doesn't know anything about host paths. It only knows about container paths. You have to map that host path to a container path, and tell plex to transcode to the mapped container path.

If you tell it to transcode to a path that isn't mapped, it is going to create that path inside docker.img, which is one reason your docker usage has grown so large.

Do you use DVR or Download feature of Plex? Similar things could happen there. Otherwise plex doesn't write much except to its config, which is mapped.

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

That looks like a host path, and plex doesn't know anything about host paths. It only knows about container paths. You have to map that host path to a container path, and tell plex to transcode to the mapped container path.

If you tell it to transcode to a path that isn't mapped, it is going to create that path inside docker.img, which is one reason your docker usage has grown so large.

Do you use DVR or Download feature of Plex? Similar things could happen there. Otherwise plex doesn't write much except to its config, which is mapped.

To fix that, I might set the transcoder directory within Plex to /plexmediaserver/transcoder and within the Plex Docker map /mnt/appdisk/plexmediaserver/tmp/plex to /plexmediaserver/transcoder ?

I do not use DVR or download features of Plex.  Wait, on my phone, I'll sometimes download stuff within the Plex app to watch on the plane, but I don't think that's what you're referring to here.

Edited by datruedave
2 minutes ago, datruedave said:

Way back in 2014, you and others helped me set up this appdisk. 

2 hours ago, trurl said:

That was a good strategy, and the basic idea still applies.

But now we do it with pools.

19 minutes ago, datruedave said:

1TB SSD gets here tomorrow.

That would be large enough for both caching and for fast storage. So you could just use it to replace cache, then work on getting your docker related stuff moved to it and forget about appdisk.

2 hours ago, trurl said:

That would be large enough for both caching and for fast storage. So you could just use it to replace cache, then work on getting your docker related stuff moved to it and forget about appdisk.

Once I get the new SSD, what's the procedure for replacing my current cache drive?  I think the fact that my current cache drive is ReiserFS complicates things.  Is it possible to add it as a BTRFS pool drive, copy everything over from the "old" cache drive, then rename it to cache?

I found this, but this is the part that confused me earlier.  I guess this is going to have mover move the appdata share to the array, I replace the cache drive, and then the mover will move appdata back to the cache drive?

How do I replace/upgrade my single cache device? (unRAID v6.2 and above only)

This procedure assumes that there are at least some dockers and/or VMs related files on the cache disk, some of these steps are unnecessary if there aren't.

• Stop all running Dockers/VMs
  • Settings -> VM Manager: disable VMs and click apply
  • Settings -> Docker: disable Docker and click apply
  • Click on Shares and change to "Yes" all cache shares with "Use cache disk:" set to "Only" or "Prefer"
  • Check that there's enough free space on the array and invoke the mover by clicking "Move Now" on the Main page
  • When the mover finishes check that your cache is empty (any files on the cache root will not be moved as they are not part of any share)
  • Stop array, replace cache device, assign it, start array and format new cache device (if needed), check that it's using the filesystem you want
  • Click on Shares and change to "Prefer" all shares that you want moved back to cache
  • On the Main page click "Move Now"
  • When the mover finishes re-enable Docker and VMs

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Does cache have anything on it currently? 

It has a Phaze folder, which I presume has plugin stuff that I don't want to lose until I get the Transmission Docker working.  And it has an appdata folder, which I assume is the appdata share.  It also has a system folder, which has a docker folder, which has a docker.img file inside it (but nothing else in the system folder).

You would have to stop the plugin, and disable Docker in Settings, since nothing can move open files. Then setting appdata and system to cache:yes and running mover would move those shares to the array. The phaze folder would have to be moved manually.

Then after cache is empty you could replace it, set appdata and system to cache:prefer and run mover to move those shares to cache. The phaze folder would have to be moved manually.

And anything from that unassigned appdisk could also be moved to cache manually 

OK, installed the new SSD as cache.  I have a few questions.

Dockers are all gone.  All my torrents are gone <sad face>.  I've got the Transmission plugin running again and have downloaded a bunch of torrents from one of my trackers in hopes of getting off ratio watch, but I figure I'll be starting from scratch with the other trackers once I get the Dockers running.

Is it safe to delete the Docker.img files that I have floating around since I'm going to be starting over with the Dockers?

Also, I got some errors in "Fix Common Problems" that I don't understand:

2022 08 07 Fix Common Problems error.png

9 hours ago, datruedave said:

OK, installed the new SSD as cache.

Did you do any of this before installing it?

On 8/3/2022 at 1:27 PM, trurl said:

You would have to stop the plugin, and disable Docker in Settings, since nothing can move open files. Then setting appdata and system to cache:yes and running mover would move those shares to the array. The phaze folder would have to be moved manually.

Then did you do any of this after installing it?

On 8/3/2022 at 1:27 PM, trurl said:

set appdata and system to cache:prefer and run mover to move those shares to cache. The phaze folder would have to be moved manually.

And anything from that unassigned appdisk could also be moved to cache manually 

I could have helped you with all that and we could have checked a few things before trying to get any of these applications going again, and looked at some details about how to configure them so they would work.

Haven't had time to look at diagnostics yet.

I really think it should have been possible to get everything working as before if you did things right.

Do you still have original cache and original Unassigned Device appdisk? Maybe we can get your earlier setup from those and try again to get them on your new setup so they work as before.

58 minutes ago, trurl said:

Looks like you "winged it" when specifying host paths for containers. The webUI will let you choose from valid paths, or it will let you enter paths manually whether they are valid or not.

I don't have any dockers currently.  They all disappeared.  I did shut down dockers and set cache:yes and move, and then the reverse after new SSD was installed.

At this point, I guess I just start from scratch with new docker apps?  Can I delete the docker.img files that are there?