datruedave transmission plugin to docker (from [Support] Linuxserver.io - Transmission)

I don't ever rename files.  The trackers I use have pretty strict naming rules, so I've just never had the need.  If I did, I'd probably just seed the minimum and then stop seeding if I needed to rename it.

OK, it took forever to copy my plex config folder over from Books to appdata, but that's done and I'm ready to start my Plex docker back up.

Here's my docker run:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker create --name='plex' --net='host' -e TZ="America/Chicago" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='latest' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -v '/mnt/user/Books/Audiobooks/':'/media/Audiobooks':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Movies/':'/media/Movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Photos/':'/media/Photos':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Sounds (music)/':'/media/Music':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/TV/':'/media/TV':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Videos (Music)/':'/media/Videos':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/transcode':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plexmediaserver/config/':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex'

f4ae7e7d0758b0b8a5d488cefd28d7ed725d2d82be162551ccbd812e001644d6

The command finished successfully!

22 hours ago, trurl said:

This maps /mnt/fast/DVR/Transcode (host path) to /transcode (container path) in plex, and I have the transcode directory in plex set to /transcode.

-v '/mnt/fast/DVR/Transcode':'/transcode':'rw'

fast is the name of my nvme pool (1x256GB XFS) where I keep things for performance. So, /mnt/fast/DVR is my DVR user share on the fast pool, and Transcode is a subfolder of that user share.

So, within Plex, should the transcode directory just be "/transcode"?

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

Is it working?

Yes.  It's still scanning my library, but all the recent stuff I've been watching looks good and plays fine via the web app.  Haven't had a chance to check it from my Rokus yet, but I don't see why they wouldn't also work (famous last words).

Somewhere along the way in the past week, I lost quite a few torrents that I had been seeding.  I wanted to get the torrents I still have up and running on my Transmission plugin and get off ratio watch on the one tracker that I struggle to maintain ratio on.  Once that's all working, I'll try to get the Transmission docker running again.

Without looking back, I think you said I could mount the old cache drive as an unassigned device.  Is that as simple as clicking the "mount" button that's there in the Main tab?

2022 08 09 Mount old cache drive.png

18 minutes ago, datruedave said:

Yes.  It's still scanning my library, but all the recent stuff I've been watching looks good and plays fine via the web app.  Haven't had a chance to check it from my Rokus yet, but I don't see why they wouldn't also work (famous last words)

If you still had the appdata for plex, and the plex libraries were already setup to access the media with the container paths, and the mappings were configured so the container paths accessed the same data on the host (even if that data had been moved), then rescanning shouldn't be needed and other things such as watched and resume should still work.

17 minutes ago, datruedave said:

Without looking back, I think you said I could mount the old cache drive as an unassigned device.  Is that as simple as clicking the "mount" button that's there in the Main tab?

Yes that simple.

I haven't looked back either so don't know if that is the old cache or not, but the principle is the same. Not only can you mount the old cache, you could even mount the old appdisk, since Unassigned Devices allows ext4 and other filesystems, even NTFS.

59 minutes ago, trurl said:

If you still had the appdata for plex, and the plex libraries were already setup to access the media with the container paths, and the mappings were configured so the container paths accessed the same data on the host (even if that data had been moved), then rescanning shouldn't be needed and other things such as watched and resume should still work.

Watched and resume seems to be fine with recent stuff (I haven't dug too deep to look for it not working, but I don't see why it wouldn't be working elsewhere). 

I just realized I made a big mistake when starting the Transmission plugin.  I had left some torrents unmapped and they were pointing to a download location of "root/downloads"   Where would that go in Unraid?  I changed the data location within Transmission, so all the data should have been moved, but it probably wouldn't hurt to double check to make sure there's nothing else there.

I think Plex is scanning things that I've moved around using Transmission. 

59 minutes ago, trurl said:

Yes that simple.

I haven't looked back either so don't know if that is the old cache or not, but the principle is the same. Not only can you mount the old cache, you could even mount the old appdisk, since Unassigned Devices allows ext4 and other filesystems, even NTFS.

Yeah, that is the old cache drive.  OK, it's mounted, and I can browse the files from within the Main tab, but is there a way to see it from my Windows PC?  It's not showing when I navigate to my server from within Windows.  I don't know how to move files using command lines.  I'm sure I can look up how to do that, but I'd rather be able to access the unassigned drive from Windows.  Maybe I need to reboot?

Edited by datruedave

OK, so I'm going to try the Transmission docker again. 

Here's the docker run (I've created a new TransmissionD folder for config so that it's separate from the plugin).

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker create --name='transmission' --net='host' --privileged=true -e TZ="America/Chicago" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'TCP_PORT_9091'='9091' -e 'TCP_PORT_51413'='51413' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/appdisk/transmissionD/config/torrents/':'/watch':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Books/Audiobooks/':'/downloads/Books/Audiobooks':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Books/Comic books/':'/downloads/Books/Comic books':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Books/eBooks/':'/downloads/Books/eBooks':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Movies/':'/downloads/Movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Sounds (music)/':'/downloads/Music':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/TV/':'/downloads/TV':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Videos (Music)/':'/downloads/Videos':'rw' -v '/mnt/appdisk/transmissionD/downloads/':'/root/Downloads':'rw' -v '/mnt/appdisk/transmissionD/config/':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/transmission'

247cb900ac758e25bff631bbb1b897030fa27078e894a702dfca34deef8e2e17

On 8/9/2022 at 12:37 PM, datruedave said:

some torrents unmapped and they were pointing to a download location of "root/downloads"   Where would that go in Unraid?

Any path not mapped is inside docker.img, this is exactly how many people fill and corrupt their docker.img

What do you get from command line with this?

df -h

On 8/9/2022 at 12:37 PM, datruedave said:

access the unassigned drive from Windows

Each Unassigned Device has security settings which control whether and how it can be accessed on the network.

16 minutes ago, trurl said:

Any path not mapped is inside docker.img, this is exactly how many people fill and corrupt their docker.img

What do you get from command line with this?

df -h

root@Serenity:~# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs          7.6G  797M  6.9G  11% /
devtmpfs        7.6G     0  7.6G   0% /dev
tmpfs           7.7G     0  7.7G   0% /dev/shm
cgroup_root     8.0M     0  8.0M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           128M  256K  128M   1% /var/log
/dev/sda1       7.5G  412M  7.1G   6% /boot
overlay         7.6G  797M  6.9G  11% /lib/modules
overlay         7.6G  797M  6.9G  11% /lib/firmware
tmpfs           1.0M     0  1.0M   0% /mnt/disks
tmpfs           1.0M     0  1.0M   0% /mnt/remotes
tmpfs           1.0M     0  1.0M   0% /mnt/rootshare
/dev/md1        9.1T  8.9T  301G  97% /mnt/disk1
/dev/md2        9.1T  4.9T  4.3T  54% /mnt/disk2
/dev/md3        9.1T  442G  8.7T   5% /mnt/disk3
/dev/md4        9.1T  8.7T  427G  96% /mnt/disk4
/dev/md5        9.1T  8.6T  593G  94% /mnt/disk5
/dev/md6         17T   17T  307G  99% /mnt/disk6
/dev/md7        3.7T  3.2T  514G  87% /mnt/disk7
/dev/sdb1       932G  233G  699G  25% /mnt/cache
shfs             66T   51T   15T  78% /mnt/user0
shfs             66T   51T   15T  78% /mnt/user
/dev/loop2       20G 1018M   19G   6% /var/lib/docker
root@Serenity:~#

Each Unassigned Device has security settings which control whether and how it can be accessed on the network.

So, I turned on the sliders for "automount" and "share."  I'm assuming automount will mount it after every reboot, and "share" seems to be the setting you're referring to?

56 minutes ago, datruedave said:

OK, so I'm going to try the Transmission docker again. 

Here's the docker run (I've created a new TransmissionD folder for config so that it's separate from the plugin).

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker create --name='transmission' --net='host' --privileged=true -e TZ="America/Chicago" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'TCP_PORT_9091'='9091' -e 'TCP_PORT_51413'='51413' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/appdisk/transmissionD/config/torrents/':'/watch':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Books/Audiobooks/':'/downloads/Books/Audiobooks':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Books/Comic books/':'/downloads/Books/Comic books':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Books/eBooks/':'/downloads/Books/eBooks':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Movies/':'/downloads/Movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Sounds (music)/':'/downloads/Music':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/TV/':'/downloads/TV':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Videos (Music)/':'/downloads/Videos':'rw' -v '/mnt/appdisk/transmissionD/downloads/':'/root/Downloads':'rw' -v '/mnt/appdisk/transmissionD/config/':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/transmission'

247cb900ac758e25bff631bbb1b897030fa27078e894a702dfca34deef8e2e17

So the Transmission docker worked.  I saw a torrent seeding even, so that's good.  However, after rebooting, it seems to have lost everything.  When I connect via the Transmission Remote GUI, all the torrents are gone.

28 minutes ago, datruedave said:

So the Transmission docker worked.  I saw a torrent seeding even, so that's good.  However, after rebooting, it seems to have lost everything.  When I connect via the Transmission Remote GUI, all the torrents are gone.

And now it's saying it can't connect to the tracker (3 different trackers).

Edit:  Just rebooted and lost all the torrents I had loaded again, but after re-adding a few, they're seeding.  Any clue why it's not saving these torrents?

Edited by datruedave
15 minutes ago, datruedave said:

And now it's saying it can't connect to the tracker (3 different trackers).

Edit:  Just rebooted and lost all the torrents I had loaded again, but after re-adding a few, they're seeding.  Any clue why it's not saving these torrents?

I think I figured that out.  Had references to appdisk still in the pathing.  Changed 'em and this is my new docker run:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='transmission' --net='host' --privileged=true -e TZ="America/Chicago" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'TCP_PORT_9091'='9091' -e 'TCP_PORT_51413'='51413' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/transmissionD/config/torrents/':'/watch':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Books/Audiobooks/':'/downloads/Books/Audiobooks':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Books/Comic books/':'/downloads/Books/Comic books':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Books/eBooks/':'/downloads/Books/eBooks':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Movies/':'/downloads/Movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Sounds (music)/':'/downloads/Music':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/TV/':'/downloads/TV':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Videos (Music)/':'/downloads/Videos':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/transmissionD/downloads/':'/root/Downloads':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/transmissionD/config/':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/transmission'

14d37ae0ac25c6223e9081668abf0b6208f290ce36490c5411ae8407f0f89040

31 minutes ago, datruedave said:

-v '/mnt/appdisk/transmissionD/config/torrents/':'/watch':'rw'

-v '/mnt/appdisk/transmissionD/downloads/':'/root/Downloads':'rw'

-v '/mnt/appdisk/transmissionD/config/':'/config':'rw'

These host paths do not exist prior to your running the docker, since you no longer have appdisk mounted. When you run the docker, these host paths are created, but since there is no storage mounted there, these host paths are in RAM. Therefore none of this can persist.

7 minutes ago, datruedave said:

I think I figured that out.  Had references to appdisk still in the pathing.  Changed 'em and this is my new docker run:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='transmission' --net='host' --privileged=true -e TZ="America/Chicago" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'TCP_PORT_9091'='9091' -e 'TCP_PORT_51413'='51413' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/transmissionD/config/torrents/':'/watch':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Books/Audiobooks/':'/downloads/Books/Audiobooks':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Books/Comic books/':'/downloads/Books/Comic books':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Books/eBooks/':'/downloads/Books/eBooks':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Movies/':'/downloads/Movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Sounds (music)/':'/downloads/Music':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/TV/':'/downloads/TV':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Videos (Music)/':'/downloads/Videos':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/transmissionD/downloads/':'/root/Downloads':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/transmissionD/config/':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/transmission'

14d37ae0ac25c6223e9081668abf0b6208f290ce36490c5411ae8407f0f89040

Wow, so that fixed everything.  All my torrents are there, although pointed at the wrong data locations, but that's a relatively easy fix. 

But the docker started with all the torrents running, so a bunch of stuff was downloaded to the root/downloads location.  I'm going to try to just use Transmission to move the data.

So, after filling up the docker.img again, and using Transmission to move the data back out of that root location, I ran the command you asked for previously.  This is the result this time:

root@Serenity:~# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs          7.6G  811M  6.8G  11% /
devtmpfs        7.6G     0  7.6G   0% /dev
tmpfs           7.7G     0  7.7G   0% /dev/shm
cgroup_root     8.0M     0  8.0M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           128M  264K  128M   1% /var/log
/dev/sda1       7.5G  412M  7.1G   6% /boot
overlay         7.6G  811M  6.8G  11% /lib/modules
overlay         7.6G  811M  6.8G  11% /lib/firmware
tmpfs           1.0M     0  1.0M   0% /mnt/disks
tmpfs           1.0M     0  1.0M   0% /mnt/remotes
tmpfs           1.0M     0  1.0M   0% /mnt/rootshare
/dev/md1        9.1T  8.9T  301G  97% /mnt/disk1
/dev/md2        9.1T  4.9T  4.3T  54% /mnt/disk2
/dev/md3        9.1T  442G  8.7T   5% /mnt/disk3
/dev/md4        9.1T  8.7T  427G  96% /mnt/disk4
/dev/md5        9.1T  8.6T  593G  94% /mnt/disk5
/dev/md6         17T   17T  307G  99% /mnt/disk6
/dev/md7        3.7T  3.2T  514G  87% /mnt/disk7
/dev/sdb1       932G  239G  693G  26% /mnt/cache
shfs             66T   51T   15T  78% /mnt/user0
shfs             66T   51T   15T  78% /mnt/user
/dev/sde1       3.7T   37G  3.7T   1% /mnt/disks/WD-WCC4E0211550
/dev/loop2       20G   12G  7.8G  61% /var/lib/docker

6 minutes ago, datruedave said:

a bunch of stuff was downloaded to the root/downloads location

3 minutes ago, datruedave said:

after filling up the docker.img again, and using Transmission to move the data back out of that root location

that root location, provided you specified it as /root/Downloads, would be a subfolder in appdata user share since that is how it is mapped.

If instead you told transmission to use root/downloads, that isn't mapped and so would be in docker.img

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

that root location, provided you specified it as /root/Downloads, would be a subfolder in appdata user share since that is how it is mapped.

If instead you told transmission to use root/downloads, that isn't mapped and so would be in docker.img

It was actually /downloads/complete, so that would go to the docker.img, right?  But changing the data location within Transmission should move it all out of there?

It was actually /downloads/complete

not mapped

changing the data location within Transmission should move it all out of there

You might know more about that than I do since I do it all to one user share. The few times I have changed a location of a torrent it seemed to me that it just downloaded it again

8 minutes ago, trurl said:

not mapped

You might know more about that than I do since I do it all to one user share. The few times I have changed a location of a torrent it seemed to me that it just downloaded it again

It works when moving from one location to another when the locations are both mapped.  I just don't know how the docker.img thing works.  Is there a way to view the files within docker.img?

Hmmm, so I tried adding a path to make sure the /downloads/complete thing didn't screw anything up ever again, and now all my torrents are gone again.

Here's my docker run, and I bolded the only path I changed:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='transmission' --net='host' --privileged=true -e TZ="America/Chicago" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'TCP_PORT_9091'='9091' -e 'TCP_PORT_51413'='51413' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/transmissionD/config/torrents/':'/watch':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Books/Audiobooks/':'/downloads/Books/Audiobooks':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Books/Comic books/':'/downloads/Books/Comic books':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Books/eBooks/':'/downloads/Books/eBooks':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Movies/':'/downloads/Movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Sounds (music)/':'/downloads/Music':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/TV/':'/downloads/TV':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Videos (Music)/':'/downloads/Videos':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/transmissionD/downloads/':'/root/Downloads':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Dave Drive/TransmissionDockerComplete/':'/downloads/complete':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/transmissionD/config/':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/transmission'

b2a3036dd1e5cba5ea906c582be7298e5bd61ded2414a5bb0b4c15c7d35bdc73

It is a vdisk mounted here

I don't see that anywhere in the GUI, so I'm guessing I have to do command line stuff to see in that vdisk?

I tried rebooting the entire server to see if the Transmission Docker would work again.  No joy.  I'm going to try removing that path and seeing if that helps, but I don't see how that would cause this...