Help - Read-Check will take 176 Days to complete.

Hey there,

I need some help. I have an unraid (6.9.2) system that I have had in operation for about 2 years now. I have never had any issues. It is mainly used for media and for backing up several computers. I recently had the opportunity to purchase 3 - 12TB HDD's. I had a 6TB Parity, 4 - 4TB HD, 4 - 3TB HDD, and a 240GB SSD. Never had an issue. I precleared 1 of the 12TB HDD and then added it to Parity so I could add the other 2 - 12TB down the road. After the 12TB Parity was installed and running good I removed the 6TB Parity so I could add a 12 TB HDD. This went fine. I added a 12TB HDD to the Array, all good. I added the last 12 TB HDD, all good. After about 1 day one of the 4TB HDD in the array failed. I checked sata and power cables, even switched the cables from another HDD in the Array, no change. I removed the effected 4TB HDD from the Array assignment. After I brought the system back up orange triangle with exclamation. I started read-check but it is saying 176 days to complete. Do I really have to wait for half a year to get back to parity? With read-check working on the system I am not able to access a lot of the data on the system. 

I am not well versed in Unraid. I have a few Dockers but don't use them much. As I said I use the system for media (Emby) and for back-up. I have not had a reason to do much else in unraid, and frankly did not want to do something that could cause a situation like I am in...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, StewLoft said:

Parity 1 was a 6TB HDD. I had to remove it from the Array to add the 12TB HDD. I tried moving parity 2 to parity but it would not let me.

Do you mean you replaced parity2 with a 12TB, but then tried to add a 12TB data disk to an array that had a 6TB parity?

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

Do you mean you replaced parity2 with a 12TB, but then tried to add a 12TB data disk to an array that had a 6TB parity?

I originally had a 6TB parity. I wanted to add a 12TB to the array so I added a 12TB to parity2, then I could not add the 12TB to the array as the 6TB was smaller. I deselected the 6TB, everything was fine, then added the first of 2 12TB HDD's, everything was good, added the last 12TB HDD, then shortly after a 4TB (disc1) failed and this is where I am at.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

Why do you think parity is not valid? Don't really see what the point of read check would be even if parity wasn't valid.

When the system finished bringing the array up I had the orange triangle with the exclamation and it showed Array started, parity not valid. I thought the read-check would go through and validate the Array. What actions should I take instead? And thank you for looking at this!!

5 minutes ago, StewLoft said:

When the system finished bringing the array up I had the orange triangle with the exclamation and it showed Array started, parity not valid

If parity2 had not finished building then it would be invalid. Your previous screenshot showed parity2 green and diagnostics doesn't say it is invalid.

Did you let parity2 rebuild finish or not?

3 minutes ago, StewLoft said:

Yes, after I added the 12 TB to parity it showed valid.

Not entirely clear. What I asked more specifically is did you let parity2 rebuild finish? It would have taken many hours.

Looks like your syslogs go back a couple of days. Let me read through those and see if I can answer some of my questions.