Cache Drive Space Utilization

This was originally reported here and seemed to be fixed at some point meaning the cache drive could be fully utilized.

However, when I upgraded to 6.10.x the issue/bug seems to be occurring again.

I have my shares set to leave 500gb free on all my array drives, however this means that when my 1tb cache drive gets to 500gb utilization, any new copies start to write to the array, The old functionality used fill up the cache drive to 1tb and then start to write to the array.

Not sure how to report this as a bug and cant see how this could have been implemented as a design feature by the fact that the functionality keeps changing.

2 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

AFAIK it's always been like this.

I think so to, but I also think it is a bug :) 

I see no reason why the Minimum Free Space value for a User Share should be used to decide if a file should go to a pool (cache) - in that case the Minimum Free Space value for the pool should be used.  The Minimum Free Space for a share should only be used when selecting an array drive for a file.

2 minutes ago, doma_2345 said:

I have my shares set to leave 500gb free on all my array drives

There is no actual setting to leave 500G free. Minimum Free just means don't write any more to the disk if it doesn't have at least that amount free. For example, if you had 501G free, and you wrote a 500G file, the disk could be chosen and after the write, there would only be 1G free.

4 minutes ago, doma_2345 said:

fill up the cache drive to 1tb and then start to write to the array.

Unless you have something set for Minimum Free on cache, it will never overflow. You don't mention what you have for that setting.

And you don't want cache to be completely filled anyway.

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

There is no actual setting to leave 500G free. Minimum Free just means don't write any more to the disk if it doesn't have at least that amount free. For example, if you had 501G free, and you wrote a 500G file, the disk could be chosen and after the write, there would only be 1G free.

Unless you have something set for Minimum Free on cache, it will never overflow. You don't mention what you have for that setting.

And you don't want cache to be completely filled anyway.

Ok, i didnt reailse that, but assuming I am only writing file of max 20gb it will leave around 500gb free?

I have my cache drive set to leave 250mb free but presently it is leaving 500gb (approx) free.

I have found where to file a big report so have done so.

4 minutes ago, doma_2345 said:

assuming I am only writing file of max 20gb it will leave around 500gb free?

To use my previous example.

User share has Minimum Free 500G, a disk has 501G free. Since that is larger than Minimum, the disk can be chosen. If you write a 20G file to that user share, and the disk is chosen, it will have 481G free after the file is written. Since that is less than Minimum, the disk won't be chosen again for that user share. Could be chosen again for another user share depending on its Minimum.