Issues with file permissions on 6.10.x

Go to solution Solved by Mr.meowgi,

OS: unraid 6.10.3, issue started from 6.10 and was not existent on 6.9.2

Steps to reproduce: start a download from either sonarr or radarr

Expected result: content automatically moves to the respected folder.

Actual result: new downloads are set as owner UNKNOWN

1683592325_unraidfileowner.thumb.PNG.fe490daa005f27a1ed798f1cfc2deca7.PNG

and within sonarr/radarr there is an error: "

Couldn't import episode /data/downloads/sonarr/MasterChef.US.S12E12.1080p.WEB.h264-KOGi[rarbg]/MasterChef.US.S12E12.1080p.WEB.h264-KOGi.mkv: Access to the path '/data/downloads/sonarr/MasterChef.US.S12E12.1080p.WEB.h264-KOGi[rarbg]/MasterChef.US.S12E12.1080p.WEB.h264-KOGi.mkv' is denied."

More details:

I have followed the TRaSH Guide for unraid so I believe I should have the correct paths

data
├── downloads
│ ├── movies
│ ├── music
│ ├── radarr
│ ├── sonarr
│ └── tv
└── media
    ├── movies
    ├── music
    └── tv 

here is a screenshot:

2080784804_unraidpermissions.thumb.PNG.86c9a6ee45ab495b035fc4637456f13c.PNG

I've been doing this manually ever since updating to 6.10.x changing each file ownership to nobody and then refresh sonarr/radarr resulting on the files being moved. but then I found a temporary fix from different posts onthe forum, reddit, and discord is to try "Docker safe new perms" and also "new permissions", what this does is only temporary, and it only affects current files, any other file downloaded from sonarr/radarr within "/mnt/user/data/downloads" will have UKNOWN as the owner. 

820292332_Unraidchangingownership.PNG.7119305936f997fda93b7b909b43d797.PNG

Any suggestions welcomed, maybe I missed something, or my paths got messed up? let me know if there is more information needed, thank you for taking the time to read all this! 

46 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Aren't these solutions the same thing as just running docker safe new perms or new perms?

I tried to follow the instructions "fix2" from the second link you sent and created a user script for the user script plugin, but I get this error when I run it

"Script location: /tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/sonarr_permissions/script
Note that closing this window will abort the execution of this script
/tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/sonarr_permissions/script: line 4: /mnt/user/appdata/sonarr: Is a directory"

as for the first link you sent my appdata shows the correct folder permissions owner:nobody, running this command

sudo chown -R nobody:users /mnt/user/appdata/sonarr

does nothing for me. i dont have plex so i assume i should do it to the arr folders? I don't know why it works for other people by just running the tools new perms and docker safe new perms but for me it only works for the current files and every new file will not respect the new permissions.

Edited by Mr.meowgi

I'm having the same issue having just upgraded to 6.10.3 from a 6.9 release if I remember correctly.  I just noticed it today when I went to watch a TV Show and my Emby dashboard was full of random stuff.  I was able to rename, copy and paste manually.

Both SABnzbd and Sonarr are throwing all sorts of permission errors.

Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr: /tv/Animal.Kingdom.US.S06E11.1080p.WEBRip.x264-CAKES/. Ensure the path exists and the user running Sonarr has the correct permissions to access this file/folder

Couldn't import episode /tv/Only.Murders.in.the.Building.S02E09.2160p.WEB.H265-GGEZ/0a5a4f09cbe744628f5f919a2948ebf5.mkv: Access to the path '/tv/Only.Murders.in.the.Building.S02E09.2160p.WEB.H265-GGEZ/0a5a4f09cbe744628f5f919a2948ebf5.mkv' is denied.

Nothing has changed other than the upgrade to 6.10.3. 

Edited by Spyderturbo007
19 hours ago, Spyderturbo007 said:

I'm having the same issue having just upgraded to 6.10.3 from a 6.9 release if I remember correctly.  I just noticed it today when I went to watch a TV Show and my Emby dashboard was full of random stuff.  I was able to rename, copy and paste manually.

Both SABnzbd and Sonarr are throwing all sorts of permission errors.

Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr: /tv/Animal.Kingdom.US.S06E11.1080p.WEBRip.x264-CAKES/. Ensure the path exists and the user running Sonarr has the correct permissions to access this file/folder

Couldn't import episode /tv/Only.Murders.in.the.Building.S02E09.2160p.WEB.H265-GGEZ/0a5a4f09cbe744628f5f919a2948ebf5.mkv: Access to the path '/tv/Only.Murders.in.the.Building.S02E09.2160p.WEB.H265-GGEZ/0a5a4f09cbe744628f5f919a2948ebf5.mkv' is denied.

Nothing has changed other than the upgrade to 6.10.3. 

Im glad im not alone on this, I just wish they would acknowledge this bug on the future releases. Maybe if more people with the same problem come out 

• Like 1
On 8/19/2022 at 3:00 PM, Mr.meowgi said:

Im glad im not alone on this, I just wish they would acknowledge this bug on the future releases. Maybe if more people with the same problem come out 

I downgraded to 6.9.0-rc2 and everything works now.  i didn't have to do anything other than downgrade.  As soon as the dockers came back up, they moved the files into the correct locations and deleted the temp folders.  It required no interaction on my part.

It's definitely an issue with 6.10.3.  I did absolutely nothing other than upgrade which caused the problem and did nothing but downgrade which fixed the problem.

3 hours ago, Spyderturbo007 said:

I downgraded to 6.9.0-rc2 and everything works now.  i didn't have to do anything other than downgrade.  As soon as the dockers came back up, they moved the files into the correct locations and deleted the temp folders.  It required no interaction on my part.

It's definitely an issue with 6.10.3.  I did absolutely nothing other than upgrade which caused the problem and did nothing but downgrade which fixed the problem.

I see, I am thinking about downgrading too but I don’t know what is the safest way to do it without losing my appdata. 

• 1 month later...

I'm having pretty much a similar issue. Not sure what the best way forward is. In 6.10.x I used to just change permissions myself (as part of my sync script), but now even that doesn't seem to work.

Sonarr's MediaInfo cannot read the file and apparently does not have correct permissions for the directory. I am confused on what to do. 

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys sorry for the late update but unfortunately i have not found an easy way to fix this yet. Mind you ive not fixed it myself yet but i have found some information from a reddit post and to summarize it’s a problem with the New permissions tool being broken. 

On 10/27/2022 at 8:39 PM, Spyderturbo007 said:

@Mr.meowgi Have you found any resolution?  I'm still on 6.9.0-rc2 and just thought I'd circle back around and see how you made out.

On 10/3/2022 at 10:17 AM, ksp said:

I'm having pretty much a similar issue. Not sure what the best way forward is. In 6.10.x I used to just change permissions myself (as part of my sync script), but now even that doesn't seem to work.

Sonarr's MediaInfo cannot read the file and apparently does not have correct permissions for the directory. I am confused on what to do. 

On 11/30/2022 at 8:37 AM, Frank1940 said:

Try going to the Docker and look for the following three parameters, make a note of their current settings,  and set them as follows:

PGID      100

PUID      99

UMASK     000

Tried this from within docker as well as the edit button on the docker page from unraid itself and it didn’t seem to work.

Was having the same issues.. Saying that I have a fresh install or the 'arr' apps on unraid 6.11 (that has been upgraded many time over the last 7 years).

Anyways I found your post on a google search and read the reddit that was linked to... I have not touched permissions at all trying to get things running.

I fixed it tonight. I have Dynamix File Manager installed. I used it an went to the root of my download folder and media folder (both within 1 share) and reset the permissions using DFM. Next import worked just fine!!

Again not the exact issue but maybe it will help?

17 hours ago, bedpan said:

Was having the same issues.. Saying that I have a fresh install or the 'arr' apps on unraid 6.11 (that has been upgraded many time over the last 7 years).

Anyways I found your post on a google search and read the reddit that was linked to... I have not touched permissions at all trying to get things running.

I fixed it tonight. I have Dynamix File Manager installed. I used it an went to the root of my download folder and media folder (both within 1 share) and reset the permissions using DFM. Next import worked just fine!!

Again not the exact issue but maybe it will help?

Yup this is exactly what I do but instead to the new files that have UNKNOWN as the owner, I did it your way unfortunately any new other files still show up as UNKNOWN. Unless im doing it wrong? Is it selecting the download folder > owner button > new owner > nobody ? 

On 1/2/2023 at 3:05 PM, Mr.meowgi said:

Yup this is exactly what I do but instead to the new files that have UNKNOWN as the owner, I did it your way unfortunately any new other files still show up as UNKNOWN. Unless im doing it wrong? Is it selecting the download folder > owner button > new owner > nobody ? 

sorry for the slow reply.. 

I have just been hitting the permission's option on the destination folder, not the download folder. This resets the permissions in the destination to read/write..

I have not hit the ownership option.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...