Single Parity, Dual Disk failures, Rebuild Possible?

bdcmrt07
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

• Solution

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Check all assignments and assign any missing disk(s) if needed, including cloned disk3 and the new disk4, replacement disk should be same size or larger than the old one
-IMPORTANT - Check both "parity is already valid" and "maintenance mode" and start the array (note that the GUI will still show that data on parity disk(s) will be overwritten, this is normal as it doesn't account for the checkbox, but it won't be as long as it's checked)
-Stop array
-Unassign disk4
-Start array (in normal mode now), ideally the emulated disk will now mount and contents look correct.

-Grab and post new diags.

Okay a couple of clarifications...

1) Do I need to keep the old disk3 connected still? Can I physically disconnect it and then proceed with the above? My plan was to disconnect the old disk3 now that we've rescued it and connect the replacement disk for disk4. Please confirm this is correct. 

2)  On the faq for ddrescue it had mentioned after completion you can mount the destination disk (in this case disk3) and copy contents to the array..I'm NOT doing that correct? Just want to make sure there is no assumption that i followed that direction in the post.

3) "ideally the emulated disk will now mount and contents look correct" --this is referring to the new disk3 that we ran ddrescue on? Or the contents from disk4 that died? Sorry just trying to understand for my own benefit because both disk3/disk4 were disabled with contents emulated. You had mentioned in a previous post it may be possible to retrieve data from disk4. Is my assumption that the "contents emulated" message from disk4 means that now that we were able to successfully retrieve the contents from disk3, disk3 together with Parity and the remaining disks holds the contents for disk4?

4) If my understanding of question3 is correct, how do the contents of old disk4 get onto replacement disk4? Or do i have it all wrong?

Thanks!

Edited by bdcmrt07
17 minutes ago, bdcmrt07 said:

Do I need to keep the old disk3 connected still?

Nope, just the clone.

17 minutes ago, bdcmrt07 said:

I'm NOT doing that correct?

Correct.

18 minutes ago, bdcmrt07 said:

this is referring to the new disk3 that we ran ddrescue on? Or the contents from disk4 that died?

In this case to both.

19 minutes ago, bdcmrt07 said:

Is my assumption that the "contents emulated" message from disk4 means that now that we were able to successfully retrieve the contents from disk3, disk3 together with Parity and the remaining disks holds the contents for disk4?

Yes.

20 minutes ago, bdcmrt07 said:

how do the contents of old disk4 get onto replacement disk4?

If the emulated disk 4 looks good you rebuild it onto the new disk.

"The first step is to identify the file system of the drive you wish to test or repair. If you don't know for sure, then go to the Main page of the webGui, and click on the name of the drive (Disk 3, Cache, etc). Look for File system type, and you will see the file system format for your drive (should be xfs, reiserfs, or btrfs)."

disk4 is not mounted and listed as missing so it just says Auto. Please advise....Thx

disk4 auto.JPG

disk4.JPG

Rebuild Complete! All is well again! I would like to express my sincere thanks to @JorgeB and everyone else that contributed to helping me resolve this. Was super stressed when this incident happened and i thought i lost everything but this is an awesome feeling today. First time ever posting in these forums and it's great to know such a helpful and wonderful community exists! Truly can't thank you guys enough! Cheers all around my friends!866841801_ArrayFinalStatus.thumb.JPG.e13bc9ac4397237c3227232065e6a609.JPG

Final Rebuild Completion.JPG

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...