ZFS guy here - I have questions...

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Just registered here after reading the 6.11 announcement that mentions ZFS may be upcoming. Can you please share what kind of native ZFS integration we can expect in future versions of unraid? 

In other words; what are you working on? I did see that some smart people here hacked their way into getting ZFS support via a plugin. But your company seems to be building a native integration. How will it be different from the ZFS plugin/hack?

I am building a new NAS server with dual m.2 nvme drives - one of the things I always wanted out of my home NAS was 'storage tiering' - to use the fastest storage media for writes/copies then offload it to rust drives - people are telling me that Unraid should be able to do this kind of storage tiering for me - would the data be copied or mirrored in both nvme/cache and my slower drive array (in case the cache drives fail)? 

There are ways to get ZFS on linux to have storage tiering: https://github.com/45Drives/autotier < so when I read ZFS mentioned in the above announcement I started wondering if unraid may be working on your own flavor of 'autotier' + ZFS to get the best of both worlds without a large number of RAM (ZIL, SLOG, etc) in a similar way that unraid seems to work today with cache pools.

Also could you share any recent guides or 'best practices' that can help me better understand how I would setup 'storage tiering' and also if I start using unraid now before ZFS exists - how do you envision the migration to ZFS to look like for users?

Edited by TheLinuxGuy
autotier link add
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
4 hours ago, TheLinuxGuy said:

No love from the unraid devs I guess.

You get limited interaction from Limetech in the forums - they are mostly about users providing support.

I suspect you are not going to get any information about this until Limetech are at least ready to beta test something.  My guess is that any early implementation is likely to simply provide ZFS as an alternative format for pools, but even that is speculation.

5 hours ago, TheLinuxGuy said:

thanks. I thought this "Pre sales" forum was the place where the developers of this software/license would respond (vs. other forums where end-users help eachother). Guess I was mistaken.

This is a request like ‚When it‘s done?‘ It‘s done when it‘s done. Wait and Drink a Cup of coffee.

Edited by Walki
Typo

Normally Pre-Sales questions are does Unraid do this and does it do that and the community normally chimes in to help as they can. 

I'm not a Dev, but I'm going to guess ZFS will be initially supported with the pools that are not currently in the Array.  That's just a guess of course. 

They do look at the requests from the request section and roll out requests as they can. I know they have been baking small things in here and there, but only time will tell when it arrives. 

I know this exists, but I don't know much about it at all.