Dead Drive?

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi there,

Apologies for my ignorance.

Is it safe to assume that the attached smart report for a disabled drive is a dead drive that should be replaced?

Also, what part of it should I be looking at to tell that it is a bad drive?

Lastly, I probably bought this drive along with quite a few other of the exact brand and size (Seagate Barracuda 3TB) over the course of maybe 1 year around 3 or 4 years ago and this is the 2nd that I've had issues with. Am I ignorant to assume that they should last longer? I switched to buying 8TB WD Elements/MyBook for the last bunch of drives since they started coming down in price a few years ago. I also believe that they are higher quality WD White drives than the desktop based Barracudas.

Anyways, Thanks in advance for any help with the above questions!

tower-smart-20221004-0900.zip

On 10/7/2022 at 2:57 PM, trurl said:

Do any of your other disks show SMART warnings on the Dashboard page?

Only the cache pool; however, it is only CRC Error Count issues which I have read could be due to bad sata cables. I ordered replacement ones in which will hopefully help. I am rebuilding the dead drive with a replacement now. I was wrong about the dead drive being a Seagate barracuda by the way. It’s a Seagate ironwolf which should be better quality than a barracuda.

Also, I ran a pre clear on the dead drive for fun and it just finished. Here’s the finished status preview:

####################################################################################################
#                               Unraid Server Preclear of disk Z730W84C                            #
#                            Cycle 1 of 1, partition start on sector 64.                           #
#                                                                                                  #
#   Step 1 of 6 - Pre-read verification:                   [6:27:17 @ 129 MB/s] SUCCESS            #
#   Step 2 of 6 - Erasing the disk:                        [6:21:54 @ 130 MB/s] SUCCESS            #
#   Step 3 of 6 - Zeroing the disk:                        [5:48:43 @ 143 MB/s] SUCCESS            #
#   Step 4 of 6 - Writing Unraid's Preclear signature:                          SUCCESS            #
#   Step 5 of 6 - Verifying Unraid's Preclear signature:                        SUCCESS            #
#   Step 6 of 6 - Post-Read verification:                                          FAIL            #
#                                                                                                  #
####################################################################################################
#       Cycle elapsed time: 18:38:14 | Total elapsed time: 18:38:14                                #

#   S.M.A.R.T. Status (device type: default)                                                       #
#   ATTRIBUTE                   INITIAL STATUS                                                     #
#   Reallocated_Sector_Ct       1000    -                                                          #
#   Power_On_Hours              33334   -                                                          #
#   End-to-End_Error            0       -                                                          #
#   Reported_Uncorrect          37      -                                                          #
#   Airflow_Temperature_Cel     36      -       ->Failed in Past<-                                 #
#   Current_Pending_Sector      800     -                                                          #
#   Offline_Uncorrectable       800     -                                                          #
#   UDMA_CRC_Error_Count        0       -                                                          #

In case that is hard to read, here’s a screenshot:

79FCED16-DA10-4D13-82AE-76619F7FD591.thumb.jpeg.c5e9a3ee0c0eed9289c7531ee7b46543.jpeg

and here are the errors from the log:

preclear_disk_Z730W84C_25180.txt

looks like it’s a goner. After only 3 years.